• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

we fought the law and the law won

It's a fine line. When I guide in the river it seems like everyone is pushing harder over that line, till that boat comes and then they all come back over. Just like kids, see how far they can go till you get yelled at. Fines are all over the place,$$$ & boats, ect. I just wait for the Canadian walleyes to come to the U.S.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PerchJrkr

• The Hammer

• CANOPY SAM

• Vexipro

I still can't believe this topic is dragging on. \:\(

The simple fact it there is an international border down the "middle" of the river. If you cross over this subjective "middle", you are breaking the law. I can't believe folks still intend to "push" this issue when the issue of "you've come too far" is interpreted by a couple guys in a Canadian enforcement boat. I just can't see why you'd even want to risk it. From a financial standpoint, its not worth it.

The Canadians have their laws, we have our laws. We have to obey them whether you like it or not.

The RBCP is also a great way to cross this line legally. Why not just get the permit if you are worried about the line?

I really don't see a bunch of fisherman enjoying walleye fishing on a river as a matter of national security but the borders have to be protected. I think Dtro mentioned it earlier that we can't have our cake and eat it too. Its funny how the rules should be changed when its all about me, me, me!

Originally Posted By: PerchJrkr
thats 3 of us now. i think we could make it at least to winnipeg with that many guys. lol i guess a guy cant be too [PoorWordUsage] though. i spent 600$ to fish in canada for about 6 days is what it boils down to. how much does it cost for a remote border pass, canadian lic., inflated prices in canada, etc. etc.... we caught our biggest fish in canada

I'm sorry, but I'm really smiling at this whole thread. Even laughing at some of these posts. "You might want to change your name if you're going to prison." (PerchJrkr) Now that's funny!

What you've said here leads me to believe you were knowingly on the Canadian side of the river for much of your fishing trip. "I spent $600 to fish in Canada for about 6 days."

On top of that, from what I can make of Royal's writing, it appears as though a friend may have gently been trying to discourage you from this practice over the course of what may have been several days.

I'm glad to see that Royal posted here. There is logic and rationality in what he writes.

Even though they appear senseless, I'm certain there are very good reasons to enforce this law. Although I'm sure we're all infinately wise (in our own eyes), there are definately more intelligent people out there policeing our behavior.

If everyone was allowed to aimlessly meander all over the Rainy River (the border between two different countries) I would imagine that drug trafficing would be rather difficult to control. Rusty, you should be accutely aware of this?

What I think is the most humorous about this thread is that PerchJrkr, you really aren't whining! You're actually comedic about all of this. Almost whimsical. You knew what you were doing and you got caught. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I can only imagine what would happen if you and I were ever in the same boat together. Whenever I see posted land my first thought is, "Great, this means very few people have hunted here!"

It's pretty admirable that you can laugh at yourself this way. The ability to laugh at ourselves and the foolish things we do is what makes life all the more joyful. PerchJrkr, we'll have to get together and see how many laws we can bend some day.

Originally Posted By: CANOPY SAM
Whenever I see posted land my first thought is, "Great, this means very few people have hunted here!"

LOVE IT. so now theres like 2 people that get it out of the 5,000 people that have looked at this thread. LOL few people have hunted here... thats a riot

the first weekend we were far enough up in the ice that we didnt see any border patrols, but im sure we were marked, as we spent most of our time on the canadian side (as did everyone else up there) i just dont think they were gonna go through 1/4 to 1/2 mile of ice chunks to check 4 boats! The second weekend was different beings we were on open water the whole time.

We are definately gonna have to hook up! My wallet is usually pretty skinny, and evidently you have no qualms about spending lots and lots of money on fishing trips.

PerchJrkr, you're welcome in my boat anytime!!! It's just a pity that you're "on the wagon". I'm sure I can cure you of that too.

I have a healthy respect for anyone who questions the reason of any decree.

By all regards, this situation appears to have been an attempt to "test" limits. I believe PerchJrkr was likley doing the same thing several other fisherman were already doing all around him.

When his boat was absconded the neighboring boats scurried for safety (the Minnesota side of the "invisable line"). Why? In a threatening ice flow, was he wrong for anchoring, or drifting his boat in the same area as all the other boats in the area? If I were an attorney I might take this tangent.

Is PerchJrkr a hibitual criminal offender because he's been caught a few times doing something he shouldn't? Probably not. Does his decision to knowingly fish on the Canadian side of the river, without a legal license warrant a $600 fine? Well, like he said, "If you play with fire".

I would ask all the readers of this forum to read the Outdoor News "Cuffs and Collars" forum on a weekly basis. This isn't a "plug" for any publication. It's simply a lesson in how too many people behave in semi-secluded, un-policed situations. I've done it myself. Not knowingly, of course!

Perhaps the bigger issue here is what value do we place on "success" as hunters and fishermen? Are fish worth $600? I always chuckle at folks that show up on the Rainy with $57K dollar boats, and I consistently outfish them with my 14 ft. shallow hull Lund and 7.5 horse Merc.

How many nights could I eat walleye fillets, cooked to perfection in the finest restaurants, for $57K?

I'm not tempting PerchJrKr to do anything that the rest of the world doesn't tempt him to do everyday. It's simply a matter of choice. Do we buy into what everyone tells us is right, or do we do what is in our heart and in our stomach?

Canopy Sam

You have a problem with guys with nice boats? I don't understand that one.

I will admit the boat doesn't make the fisherman, but I'd like to see you out fish some of the guys who fish the PWT in their $57,000.00 boats or even see if you could follow them onto the big water they fish in your 14ft boat.

If you haven't guessed it yet I own one of those boats that you "chuckle" about. If I owned a small boat too would I bring it to the RR, no I prefer to fish in comfort which I paid for.

If you can out fish some guys in their big boats, great good for you.

Next season I'd be more than happy to let you into my boat to see if you can out fish myself or my buddy in my boat that you "chuckle" about.

Hammer, I think you missed the point. It seems everyone I talk to today is either hung-over and ornery, or overly emotional about last night's Wild loss.

No, I do not have a probelm with people who purchase expensive boats, nor do I have a problem with those boats. I think they are very nice. Would you consider giving me yours?

The point is, what lengths are we willing to go to today to be "successful" hunters, fisherman, or people for that matter? How do we define success? What are we willing to spend, or risk in order to bring home meat, or lovely pictures of fish and game?

Here's an example, albeit you may have to stretch your mind a bit, but it's something to consider none-the-less. I just read this in the newspaper, and I think it's applicable here.

Fifty years ago a young couple was absolutley thrilled to afford a "starter" house that was all of 800 sq. feet. Now, not only would many find that ridiculous, but most would EXPECT that their GARAGE be AT LEAST 800 sq. feet. Do you get the point?

The world (or at least the USA) as we know it has taught us that we should have everything that we desire, and not only that, it should be easy to get it, and [PoorWordUsage] anyone who might say otherwise. We're willing to go to any lengths to lay our hands on what we want, or expect we should have.

Do we really need a 3500 sq. ft. home? Obviously many thought so. Our US economy is now in a shambles because millions of people were lead to believe that money is cheap and you can borrow all you want to buy the things you need. Don't worry about the balloon payments later, you can just "refi" again!Reality has come crashing down, just like the Canadian Border Patrol!

It's parallel to this thread. PerchJrkr originally intended this to be a notice to others to obey the law while fishing, or you may end up paying a very high price. But it speaks very clearly to my point, and that is precisely what I find entertaining.

PerchJrkr, like myself, and many, many others was willing to risk whatever it took to catch a few more fish. To go for all the glory! To have the starter MANSION, and not simply the starter house. To buy the most expensive boat, to go the fastest, to live (and fish) in luxury, and catch the MOST!

Somewhere along the line we've lost touch with what is practical. We're flippantly willing to disregard common sense and do whatever it takes to be, do or have the best, and most.

Hammer, don't get me wrong. I'd enjoy owning a beautiful new boat with all the bells and whistles. But do I need it to catch fish? No. I've spent my time in the tournament realm. Now I fish for the sheer pleasure of it.

Am I dissappointed if I don't catch fish? Sure I am. I love catching fish. Am I willing to flirt with the law to fill my freezer. I'm not going to lie to you - I have been known to "bend" the rules before. Do I think it's morally and ethically wrong? Yes. That temptation to cross over to the other side of the river is always there. Jesus asked, " Is there any among you without sin?"

I'm sorry if I offended you about your boat. I really do wish I had one. I simply can't afford it.

Here is an interesting truth to consider:

The top three reasons why young to middle-aged people in the United States have no money invested in savings.

1) They purchase cars that are far more expensive than they can afford.

2) They take vacations that are far more expensive than they can afford.

3) They buy a boat that is far more expensive than they can afford.

(Insert) - they break the law in an effort to catch more fish.

Or, they repeatedly drive around while intoxicated. Sorry Perch - just ribbing you a little.

By the way, I've caught Salmon and Trout on Lake Superior fishing from my 14 ft. shallow-hull, camo-painted duck boat with 7.5 horse Merc engine. I probably looked kind of funny, but at least I caught some fish.

I'd love to take you up on that offer to fish in your boat Hammer. I'm never very comfortable when I go fishing, but then again, I don't really get out much anymore.

Canopy Sam

You must have a wife and kids too.

I don't get out much anymore either. One trip to the RR and one to Lake Michigan for salmon is about all I get now days.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, but when I first got a boat I was out 5 days a week.

In a couple of years the kids will be old enough to come with on those trips then I can have it all in the fishing realm. Take everyone with and everyone is happy no time away from home if thy are with. CANT WAIT

Hammer

Ha Ha.. Yep!

An amazing wife, 4 great kids (one starting college), three vehicles (two of them too expensive), a 3500 sq.ft. house, several jobs to try and pay for it all, a crappy little boat, and no time to fish.

I'll probably be shopping for an upgrade to the old duck this spring.

I'm really only laughing at the irony in all of it! Ha!

By the way, that is one amazing pig you're holding in your avatar. Is that a Rainy River eye?

i love this guy. you should start up a carpentry business cause every time.... YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD! lol

No that's a St.Paul Mississippi River fish. First one of the year in a boat less than 3 minutes. I wrote a post on it about a month ago if you want to see a better picture look at my posts. First fish of open water I do believe it was.

My kids are still pretty young the twins are 3 and a 5 year old daughter. We are all going to make it out a few times this year because I was laid up most of last summer. So we have some catching up to do with them pan fish.

I thought you could cross the line for navigational purposes only. I don't fish the river much, but I thought I had heard that. Let's say you are going along and the US side is to shallow and you have to cross the line to get farther down or up the river. Any US customs or BP reading this can answer this. By know means do it because I "thought" that you could.

Will, can't believe this thread is still alive and can't believe you're still crackin' jokes after the beatin' you've taken from people who can't read. Good attitude dude! Several could take a lesson.

It is my understanding that you can motor accross the middle line to travel the river. I believe that is is against the letter of the law but is actually some common sense enforcement practiced by both sides. Never heard of anyone getting busted for it whether in a boat or on a sled.

I am afraid that if we start trying to throw our "Ugly American" weight around to try to force another soveriegn nation to change their laws to suit us, we might end up with something much less acceptable than we have now. If you stir the septic tank it's gonna stink.

Started to say something about the ignorance of running from the law but remembered a little event on a dirt bike in the early 80's.

Canapy Sam, I will never again worry about my verbose and overly philosophical posts. Keep up the good work. Glad you and Hammer made up.

hey doug- does that new LOTW Rainy edition lakemaster chip have 1' contours of the whole river? i saw one at scheels last weekend but it was 3' contours on the river...

hmm awesome. maybe ill have to buy it directly from lakemaster. cabelas, scheels and sportsmans warehouse said it would be at least 3-4 weeks

Vexipro, I have got the new one here at my store, the map is nice since I am a river rat myself, It shows things I never knew they were there before. will benefit my river fishing greatly. logcabinbait

If only you werent 4 1/2- 5 hours away! maybe i should just move up there so i can fish that area year round!

That is what my wife and I did 2 yrs ago. Building a house on the lake right now.

New chip is NOT accurate when you get up by the dam. The Killer rock above the islands in middle is not shown. In many areas close to shore it shows a gradual taper to shallow water when in fact it is quite deep. No doubt there are some spots where the opposite is true so be careful.

Seemed purrrty accurate below Birchdale.

i still cant beleive cabelas let me return my old LOTW chip, i bought it back in march, returned it no questions asked! Too bad they didnt have the new chip like i was hoping!