• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

we fought the law and the law won

Ya a boarder that 1 side likes to make money off of!

I cant believe the pay on site [PoorWordUsage]. Thats just wrong. Talk about shadey bussiness there boy. The other thing is them just naming their price.

I remember back when Superior, Wi. police were able to do this. Man what a mess that was. Once brought to court a few times it didnt last long.

Canada just loves us Americans I know.

RBCP is the only way to go.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PerchJrkr

• The Hammer

• CANOPY SAM

• Vexipro

they were claiming the fine for them on the US side starts out at 5,000$. i highly doubt that, maybe a fine for not having a fishing license and thats about it i figure..

i say we amass a small army with pointy sticks and take over the whole country. they dont have an army right?

I have some sticks in my backyard. I will join your worthy cause.

thats 3 of us now. i think we could make it at least to winnipeg with that many guys. lol i guess a guy cant be too [PoorWordUsage] though. i spent 600$ to fish in canada for about 6 days is what it boils down to. how much does it cost for a remote border pass, canadian lic., inflated prices in canada, etc. etc.... we caught our biggest fish in canada

I don't know, I have met some really cool guys up in the Winnipeg area. I think its just the border guys that can be, well, I'll leave it at that.

i had some friends that went to winnipeg in highschool to drink and they said the canucks HATED them. they wound up meeting some other guys from fargo and hung out with them all weekend

Well what do ya expect in a bar, I'm talking about on the water/ice...

it all does seem like a joke though. minnows on our side, not on theirs, invisible line? come on. in minnesota all water is public. i can go to any lake and walk around the whole thing if i want as long as i dont set foot on dry land. i can see if we were standing on shore fishing, but seriously get real canada.

im gonna have to watch that south park movie again and learn the song when they declare war on canada. blame canada... their squinty eyes and flappy heads and funny accents.. whats that all abooot

Everyone sure gets upset about the law, but it is a law, and all the years I've been up there I've been guilty as well, but we all know the law.....

Maybe they should have everyone that goes on the river get a border crossing, Canada fishing licence, and no live bait, then we wouldn't have to worry about getting pinched. Or waiting in the long lines at the landing for that matter

i dont have to buy a south dakota license to go fish bigstone and i can be on the SD side. Same with ND, WI, IA.......

we also figured out the exchange rate was 1$ american to 1.02$ canadian that day, so im thinking i should write a letter to my congressman and tell him about the transgressions that happened on that fateful day and to let canada know that i would like a 12$ rebate.

NOt to be harsh or anything but Canada is a different country while North Dakota, south Dakota wisco and Iowa are all states and part of this country but there is still things that I dont agree with that you made a good point in stating!

Actually I was at JRTC in Ft Polk Louisianna in like 95 and the Canadian army was there training and they were better equipped then us crazy.gif. I have my own opinions on the Canadian Border waters but I can't aire them here, I think the Baudette/ Border area loses alot of business every year because of the Canadians and there stupid rules

i think ill just have em put a 12$ credit on my bill for next year

Seems like we all agree about the invisible line being a bunch of hog wash. So my question is how do they determine where the line is?

I have been on the Rainy in many boats and several diferent GPS units and each is just a bit off from each other. I find it very hard to enforce a line that is not marked in some way shape or form.

So what if you drift back across the line while they are with you into the US. Can you make a citizens arrest for impersonating a officer. Can they take action on you in the US.. NO... Not sure all that is lagit.

You know the old saying " if it seems way to good to be true, it prob is not" Or "If it seems way too fishy it must be fishy" Something is just not right with all that.

I have always had some major issues with this rule up there.. I enforce the law for a living and I know wno the burden of proof is on them. So how is it they can do this?

I have never had the pleasure of running into then in a bad way but I truely feel wronged for those who have. It is truely an invisible line, how can you enforce that? How also can they own under the water. Land not water can be owned, am I right?

It is very saddening that US and that portion of Canada can not have a meeting and or talk and get this worked out.

I am sorry for babbling but wrong is wrong and I hate to see any one be taken advantage of when the "intent" is not there.

i have also been informed that TECHNICALLY thats all supposed to be considered international waters, but have fun convincing a canadian judge of that right?

While I don’t doubt that they use this “invisible” line as a cash cow, it is international waters.

I cannot be a proponent of strict borders laws (immigration) yet ask for an exception when they apply to me. I know it’s just a bunch of fisherman, but it is technically a gateway to a different country.

Would you feel the same if it was Mexico and their citizens wanted to fish our side?

I do agree though that there HAS to be a better way.

Just curious if anyone knows offhand what a Canadian resident has to do to fish the US side of the river?

The law and "the line" work both ways.

Is the US more restrictive about Canadians crossing to the US side.

i dont know about that. They can have dui's and such and still enter i think, guess i dont know for sure. i work with a guy that has the rbcp, and crosses alot, also fishes all over the border all along canada, not just minnesota- and he says minnesota is the only border they enforce, and only LOTW, rainy river and rainy lake. He said on the st. lawrence river you can even ask the locals and it doesnt even seem like the canadians know theres a border there!

I SAW THEM A YEAR AGO, AND THEY WERE USING A RANGE FINDER TO DETERINE WHAT PEOPLE WERE ON THE CANADIAN SIDE

This whole invisible line thing is ridiculous. Nobody should ever have that much discretion to fine somebody $600 or more for what may be a simple mistake, especially considering that the people enforcing the law are probably not the sharpest tools in the shed. How reasonable is that? What can we do to change it?

I believe they give you plenty of room for error. The guy that got busted admitted he was on the wrong side, so I don't think it was a mistake. I don't think you have to be to sharp to figure out if you are on the wrong side of the river. If you have any doubts get the proper paperwork then you won't have to worry about it. If all that is too much than there are plenty of other bodies of water to fish

yes. next year everyone will stay home..... thanks for the hot tip.

Originally Posted By: PerchJrkr
you got it. i made the mistake of letting my buddy run the trolling motor, told him to get back over about a dozen times, waay too nice a day, and they are gonna be out.... he tried to bribe them with 31$. NICE

Just trying to explain that you knew you were over the line, reminds me of a good movie line "You were over the line, Smokey"

from The Big Labowski

I am having a bit of a difficult time with the whining about this and statements about how unfair it is. You knew you were over the line and decided not to get back. Deal with it.

Oh Will, Will, Will

Hate to do it but have to - TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Would you have negotiated the fine down if I hadn't told you that also? I would like my share in US$ please.LOL

Point has been made by others but it is their country. The enforcement, legal, court systems, and even their thought process is strongly influenced by the European/British model and we are not going to change that.

Beats me how we can come from the same place and be so different but I believe they prefer to be different than us and who are we to tell them otherwise. We have been able to accomplish things in Canada that virtually everyone tells us are impossible simply by accepting their rules/laws and ways and not trying to impose ours upon them. Have heard enough "Ugly American" stories from them to be a bit embarrassed at times.

Had the International Boundary Commission survey crew with us for 6 weeks a couple of years ago while they were working the river and learned a lot over cold ones by the fire and fishing with them. This is my understanding: Each significant corner of the river has 4 monuments(concrete & steel) that form an X on that corner(have 1 in my yard). The actual border goes from X cross to X cross and can come quite close to either shore.

I am very happy they do not enforce the "map" border and I think any efforts to "force" them to change could have very negative results. It is quite simple for anyone who wants to, to comply with the regs.

Had the US International Boundary Commissioner(also chair of IJC), his deputy commissioner, The CA Deputy Minister of International Boundaries, and the US Survey Manager in my boat for a day and in my house for a fish fry and believe me there is open and active communication about the border.

My suggestion to anyone truly seeking change or information is to contact the US International Joint Commission (IJC).

I would like to know if anyone has recently fought a ticket in a Canadian court, if they won, and what it cost them?

im not whining. it was merely a post to tell you what happens. dont play with fire unless your wearin your asabestos undies

ohh ya doug- thanks for the tip, i tried to cry but i just couldnt squeeze out a tear! lol. i stared at the bottom of the boat while my buddy was shmoozing with them and trying to bribe them. i think without him there i coulda gotten it lower!

HA! with the exchange rate they only charged me 592 something. got off cheap!

By the 2/3 rule. Does that mean they wont bother you if yur in the middle of the river? Better stay un U.S. side of the line just to be safe. No pointin taking any chances.

Duck