Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
PerchJrkr

we fought the law and the law won

WingDing2

We got caught "over the line" about 15 years ago. The opp asked us how we cleared customs as well. They found a case of beer and minnows.... when it was all said and done and the smoke cleared, it cost each guy in the boat about $280.00 a piece. There was 4 of us. I still get heartburn whenever I think about it when we fish up there. I do recall the guy telling us each can of beer cost us $25.00 even the empties.

24 x $25.00=$600.00 That was the most exspensive case of beer I didn't get to drink.

They told us if we didn't pay on the spot we would have to go to the station to make payment arrangements.

We never fish close to the line without the proper paperwork.

DTro

Paying on the spot just doesn't sit right with me. Something seems a bit fishy. Especially giving them cash.

Are they allowed to take cash?

Something I've wondered also, is what if a guy is fighting large sturgeon, pulls anchor and drifts over the line?

PerchJrkr

LOL i was banned from canada before. they said all i have to do is get a remote border crossing pass and a license and im golden. i said ya... pretty sure they wont let me into your country. 2 dui's in the last 2 years. no dang good. they say you play with fire and your gonna get burned, well it would seem that i dont figure it out until my fingers are charred and black! good thing it did work out that way, quit drinking completely since my last dui, and if i hadnt it wouldnt have been so easy getting off like we did i imagine beings we had no beer in the boat!!

PerchJrkr

ohh ya. he also told us they usually go by a 2/3 rule, and just warn ya if your a little over. i thought about arguing it, but by the time you pay a lawyer to drive to canada and go to court and do everything, its gonna cost at least twice as much even if i get off so its really not worth it.

Tundra

Wow. I guess that is why they call it a boarder!!!

Northlander

Ya a boarder that 1 side likes to make money off of!

I cant believe the pay on site [PoorWordUsage]. Thats just wrong. Talk about shadey bussiness there boy. The other thing is them just naming their price.

I remember back when Superior, Wi. police were able to do this. Man what a mess that was. Once brought to court a few times it didnt last long.

Canada just loves us Americans I know.

RBCP is the only way to go.

PerchJrkr

they were claiming the fine for them on the US side starts out at 5,000$. i highly doubt that, maybe a fine for not having a fishing license and thats about it i figure..

PerchJrkr

i say we amass a small army with pointy sticks and take over the whole country. they dont have an army right?

spudhauler

I have some sticks in my backyard. I will join your worthy cause.

PerchJrkr

thats 3 of us now. i think we could make it at least to winnipeg with that many guys. lol i guess a guy cant be too [PoorWordUsage] though. i spent 600$ to fish in canada for about 6 days is what it boils down to. how much does it cost for a remote border pass, canadian lic., inflated prices in canada, etc. etc.... we caught our biggest fish in canada

Chad Halvorson

I don't know, I have met some really cool guys up in the Winnipeg area. I think its just the border guys that can be, well, I'll leave it at that.

PerchJrkr

i had some friends that went to winnipeg in highschool to drink and they said the canucks HATED them. they wound up meeting some other guys from fargo and hung out with them all weekend

Chad Halvorson

Well what do ya expect in a bar, I'm talking about on the water/ice...

PerchJrkr

it all does seem like a joke though. minnows on our side, not on theirs, invisible line? come on. in minnesota all water is public. i can go to any lake and walk around the whole thing if i want as long as i dont set foot on dry land. i can see if we were standing on shore fishing, but seriously get real canada.

im gonna have to watch that south park movie again and learn the song when they declare war on canada. blame canada... their squinty eyes and flappy heads and funny accents.. whats that all abooot

jadkins

Everyone sure gets upset about the law, but it is a law, and all the years I've been up there I've been guilty as well, but we all know the law.....

Maybe they should have everyone that goes on the river get a border crossing, Canada fishing licence, and no live bait, then we wouldn't have to worry about getting pinched. Or waiting in the long lines at the landing for that matter

PerchJrkr

i dont have to buy a south dakota license to go fish bigstone and i can be on the SD side. Same with ND, WI, IA.......

we also figured out the exchange rate was 1$ american to 1.02$ canadian that day, so im thinking i should write a letter to my congressman and tell him about the transgressions that happened on that fateful day and to let canada know that i would like a 12$ rebate.

hhguide

NOt to be harsh or anything but Canada is a different country while North Dakota, south Dakota wisco and Iowa are all states and part of this country but there is still things that I dont agree with that you made a good point in stating!

river rat316

Actually I was at JRTC in Ft Polk Louisianna in like 95 and the Canadian army was there training and they were better equipped then us crazy.gif. I have my own opinions on the Canadian Border waters but I can't aire them here, I think the Baudette/ Border area loses alot of business every year because of the Canadians and there stupid rules

PerchJrkr

i think ill just have em put a 12$ credit on my bill for next year

Wiskers

Seems like we all agree about the invisible line being a bunch of hog wash. So my question is how do they determine where the line is?

I have been on the Rainy in many boats and several diferent GPS units and each is just a bit off from each other. I find it very hard to enforce a line that is not marked in some way shape or form.

So what if you drift back across the line while they are with you into the US. Can you make a citizens arrest for impersonating a officer. Can they take action on you in the US.. NO... Not sure all that is lagit.

You know the old saying " if it seems way to good to be true, it prob is not" Or "If it seems way too fishy it must be fishy" Something is just not right with all that.

I have always had some major issues with this rule up there.. I enforce the law for a living and I know wno the burden of proof is on them. So how is it they can do this?

I have never had the pleasure of running into then in a bad way but I truely feel wronged for those who have. It is truely an invisible line, how can you enforce that? How also can they own under the water. Land not water can be owned, am I right?

It is very saddening that US and that portion of Canada can not have a meeting and or talk and get this worked out.

I am sorry for babbling but wrong is wrong and I hate to see any one be taken advantage of when the "intent" is not there.

PerchJrkr

i have also been informed that TECHNICALLY thats all supposed to be considered international waters, but have fun convincing a canadian judge of that right?

DTro

While I don’t doubt that they use this “invisible” line as a cash cow, it is international waters.

I cannot be a proponent of strict borders laws (immigration) yet ask for an exception when they apply to me. I know it’s just a bunch of fisherman, but it is technically a gateway to a different country.

Would you feel the same if it was Mexico and their citizens wanted to fish our side?

I do agree though that there HAS to be a better way.

hanson

Just curious if anyone knows offhand what a Canadian resident has to do to fish the US side of the river?

The law and "the line" work both ways.

Is the US more restrictive about Canadians crossing to the US side.

PerchJrkr

i dont know about that. They can have dui's and such and still enter i think, guess i dont know for sure. i work with a guy that has the rbcp, and crosses alot, also fishes all over the border all along canada, not just minnesota- and he says minnesota is the only border they enforce, and only LOTW, rainy river and rainy lake. He said on the st. lawrence river you can even ask the locals and it doesnt even seem like the canadians know theres a border there!

HOT SPOT

I SAW THEM A YEAR AGO, AND THEY WERE USING A RANGE FINDER TO DETERINE WHAT PEOPLE WERE ON THE CANADIAN SIDE