Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
fishuhalik

Biggest sturgeon

PerchJrkr

i have heard sturgies are pretty good smoked.

jadkins

I know some guys that are good at rolling a big fat one, but maybe not that big.........

PerchJrkr

i guess i never even considered dinosaurs as table fare

silverfox

Back when I used to fish for sturgeon, there was no slot limit. So the 69 incher was not a protected fish. Although,you are correct, that fish and the 71 incher spoken of are fish now in the protected slot, so I certainly hope people aren't keeping them.

Bemidjifisher

Originally Posted By: [Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.

Although I understand what you are saying... Keeping a legal sturgeon is no different than keeping a legal muskie. When I was younger we kept one legal sturgeon per year (1 over 48") to have smoked. They are very rich and taste very good smoked.

With this being said I have not kept a sturgeon in 14 years. And you are correct about the river being polluted, It still is and will be for years to come. After trying to eat sturgeon without being smoked, it was terrible due to pollution, we gave up eating them all together. As long as people do things that are legal we should not criticize them, but help educate them as to CPR.

PerchJrkr

everything is good smoked. someone told me muskie tastes like ham, same with sturgy. why not just smoke dog turds? they probably taste like ham smoked too....

Bemidjifisher

Originally Posted By: PerchJrkr
everything is good smoked. someone told me muskie tastes like ham, same with sturgy. why not just smoke dog turds? they probably taste like ham smoked too....

Wow... Thats mature!!

PerchJrkr

what does that have to do with maturity? is it not a fact that everything is good smoked? lots of things that you wouldnt DREAM of eating if it didnt come out of a smoker

jadkins

I understand what you are saying as well, I think most people need a lesson in CPR, and I'm sure they are good smoked as are all fish. I'm writing this eating a fresh warm piece of Tullibee. But I don't see the justification of keeping a fish that takes 25-50 years to become of age to reproduce and does so every couple of years. I don't think people understand how delicate of a resource they are playing with. Look at what people can do to walleye or crappie populations in a short amount of time, even with DNR stocking and strict slot limits. I also fish Muskies for fun and on the pro level and I believe that should be a catch and release effort as well and I wish people would become more educated the role they play, maybe they wouldn't have such a fear of them and kill them for no reason other than thinking they are eating every fish in the lake. The only thing I am saying about keeping sturgeon is, why risk the chance of ruining this wonderful resource just to eat some ancient and polluted fish.

PerchJrkr

some people take things waay too seriously. im gonna go home and grill up some sturgy steaks to have with my bald eagle burritos for supper

Bemidjifisher

I agree with you fully... I think Sturgeon fishing is newly catching on out side the area. Having grown up in that area it was common place to keep sturgeon. It was not uncommon for almost every boat to keep at least one. The population was sustainable. It was a way of life up there. It does bother me when people living over a hundred miles away try to tell the locals what to do and how they should do it, because it benefits them for one weekend a year. Education is the key!!

The laws have changed and I think that keeping one is now the exception not the rule. Since then size has increased and the number caught has gone up. The last 10 years have been very good for the sturgeon. It just takes education, not disrespecting someone for a choice they make. I also muskie fish, I am a USCG licensed captain (guide), and have never kept one or allowed one to be kept in my boat.

PerchJrkr

to think... this all started because of something i said JOKINGLY.

skunked_again

I know perchjrkr, but it has been fun to read all of your comments. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some sturgeon fillets to fry up.

PerchJrkr

THANK YOU! TIP is probably at my home right now confiscating my 69" sturgy steaks and bald eagle burger......

jadkins

I'm glad to hear of your musky antics, I have fished Sturgeon for many years as well, maybe more than anything I'm upset that the word is out and the fish are getting hit harder all the time. I guess I should have known that it was a matgtewr of time before it would be exploited, just like most "hot bites" do.

I belive the size has gone up mostly because the river has gotten cleaner. There was a time when the fish were nearly wiped out due to pollution, it's good to see them make a comeback.

I'm sure at one time people depended on the Sturgeon for food, just like all the other game they took in mass amounts, look at some old photos it's amazing. But I don't think that is the case anymore.

I'm not trying to criticize people for keeping a Sturgeon and I appologize if that's how I come off, I am also trying to educate the people from every area, that this fish is, for the most part, just starting to make a comeback. So let's due our part to protect it.

DTro

I guess I don't know enough about this, but wasn't the decline due mostly to overharvest? Maybe it was pollution, I guess I'm not sure.

Anyways, the slot limit is there for a reason. I don't think people should feel bad about harvesting one. Personally I would never do it, but I'm not going to look down on someone who does.

It's never fun to see a grand old fish take a knife, but that's the law.

I have to admit, I wouldn't mind trying one to see how they taste.

The upside of keeping a healthy population is starting to show it's feathers. I have to think that maybe some of the locals may not like "out of towners" catching their fish, but it sure can't hurt the businesses up there.

Scott M

One tag a year for a few people that choose to keep sturgeon isn't going to do much. Those who choose to keep a few fish within their legal right aren't doing much to the population. A reliable estimate of harvest is gained since fish reduced to possession have to be tagged and the tags mailed into the DNR.

We can thank the 1972 Clean Water Act and a long time closure on taking sturgeon for their bounce back. It took time, make no mistake about it. There is little doubt as to why so little harvest is allowed and the harvestable slot is so small when it may take a female 25 years to become sexually mature.

The catch and release fishery isn't having much of an effect on the sturgeon population. Dorsal tag returns are pouring in and actually quite a bit of information is being learned about these amazing animals. Hooking mortality is thought to be very low since sturgeon can breath atmospheric air for short periods of time and because their inferior suckerlike mouths aren't likely to swallow a hook into the gullet or gills.

Keep fishing for them and propping up the fishery and the economy.

jadkins

Good info chise, do you think the DNR would adjust the slot or harvest if they seen an increase in the numbers of fish harvested?

Also I wonder what percent of people that keep a fish are getting the tag to make it legal?

Scott M

Originally Posted By: jadkins
do you think the DNR would adjust the slot or harvest if they seen an increase in the numbers of fish harvested?

IMO Yes, but that situation is highly unlikely. Harvest has only been open for a handful of years now, and not that many fish are being taken. Thats unlikely to change. The window of opportunity is so small in terms of angling days and fish length that most people just aren't keeping them, even if they can. It's a lot of meat and a good deal of preparatory work.

Originally Posted By: jadkins
Also I wonder what percent of people that keep a fish are getting the tag to make it legal?

I'd speculate not many. It's an uneasy black market. With that much flesh do people really need more than one fish, even greedy people? I'd be fairly confident that poaching numbers are pretty low, but there's no way to tell.

hanson

I'm sure the harvest data (from the DNR) for the Rainy River sturgeon is available somewhere but I don't have the time to go digging it up.

However, the St Croix River has a fall season which is seeing more and more interest. Not quite as much interest as the spring Rainy season but there is definitely growing enthusiasm.

Here is some info from the East Metro Fisheries DNR-

"To date we have tagged 395 LKS in the Lower St. Croix River since May of 2003. We have had a total of 73 recaptures of 61 different tagged fish. Nine fish have been recaptured at least twice, with 3 of those individuals being recaptured 3 times. In the first two years of our mark/recapture project we had no recaptures. During the next two years we had a total of 22 recaptures reported (10 by us and 12 by the public). In 2007 we had another 51 recaptures reported (9 by us and 42 by the public). Two things likely account for most of the significant increase in recaptures: (1) we now have more fish tagged out there and the chances of catching a tagged fish are much higher, and (2) more awareness of the fact that some of the sturgeon are tagged and how to report them, so anglers are now watching for tags and contacting us. The fastest reported recapture was 4 days after initial tagging, and the longest interval between tagging and recapture to date has been 1,469 days. Five of the reported recaptures are of fish that have emigrated from the Lower St. Croix and have been recaptured down stream from Lock & Dam #3 as far south as Lake Pepin. The location of recaptures of tagged LKS have ranged from 14.7 miles upstream to 51.8 miles down stream from the site of initial capture and tagging. None of our tagged fish have been reported harvested through the new harvest tag program.

Following are the totals reported through the harvest tag program for the last 2 years. In 2006, 5 LKS were harvested measuring between 51 and 60 inches in length. In 2007, another 7 LKS were harvested measuring between 51 and 60 inches in length."

Reason I posted that info was to note the number of harvested sturgeon. In 2 years of fishing 12 sturgeon were legally kept and reported. I have no idea how many are being legally kept on the Rainy but I bet its less than you'd imagine.

In my few years of fishing the Rainy, I have never seen a Sturgeon kept by anyone fishing around me. Most folks are handling them well and releasing them.

IMO... sturgeon are turning into one of the ultimate sport fish in Minnesota. They are big, they fight like heck, they have low hooking mortality rates, and nearly 100% C&R is regulated and encouraged. I think this is a big stepping stone towards greater C&R amongst other species of fish as fisherman are learning that its OK to release them, it really is.

You have 100s of fisherman heading up there this weekend for the "Sturgeon Excursion" who's primary goal is to fish and catch sturgeon, smile big, take photos, and let them go. What harm is that causing the fishery?

Its the same deal with the walleyes up there, you can keep 2 but are tightly restricted by the slot. Why on earth would anyone drive that far to catch 2 eyes right? There's another example of a tightly regulated fishery that draws legions of anglers to the river to have a great time catching big fish, and letting nearly all of them go.

Silver Scale

Some regulations history for the Rainy River / LOW sturgeon.

Prior to 1978 there was no size restritions. In 1978 a 45 inch minimum size was imposed but you could harvest one fish per day per person. Fishing pressure increased and so did the harvest. The DNR figured a safe allowable harvest was about 7600 lbs. Numbers many times above that were being harvested so with the help of a twelve person citizens advisory group the regulations were changed in 2001 to a 45-55 inch slot with one fish per year allowed. Season lengths were restricted also. Still it appeared more harvest was taking place over the 7600 lbs so in 2004 the regulations were changed again to what is currently in place. Here are some harvest figures.

2001-2003 13,500 lbs.

2004 5,000 lbs - Very cold spring. Most harvest occurs in spring.

2005 13,000 lbs.

2006 3700 lbs. There may have been a problem with people not reporting so this figure is probably low.

As you can see there still is harvest occurring. Good thing is that now all the adult females are out of the slot. I think if the harvest should continue to be way above the 7600 lbs that more restrictions will probably take place. Remember this is still a slow recovering fishery. Once enough adults get into the 80-120 lb class then restrictions could loosen up some.

jadkins

Good stats Silver Scale, in my eyes that is still too many, but I'm getting over that. The main problem I see is who knows what percentage is actually being registered, I would hope people register them so the DNR can keep accurate tabs on them, but you never know. I have seen people in other states and areas catch and kill sturgeon for no reason other than lack of education...

PerchJrkr

it seems to me like there isnt much of a shortage of sturgy's out there. on sunday the guys that we saw fishing stusgy's were catching more than us.... we watched guys last weekend pulling em in hand over fist. i was told right now isnt even that great of fishing for them and June is the time to really be up there if your gonna do it... any truth to that?

silverfox

Wow, you guys really are burning this thing. I don't feel bad about keeping that big one that we did. Like I said, that was quite a few years before they had the slot. I would never keep an illegal fish. Makes no sense. I get plenty legally. I went 4 or 5 years, like 1992-1996 where I fished by International Falls for sturgeon and we caught plenty, but in that time we kept a total of 2. I can tell you, we released way more than we kept and released many big ones. There are many, many sturgeon in that river. Actually, I haven't fished there for 4 years. Either the Falls area or Baudette area. Just too many people now.

So, I hope you can just all get out there and enjoy the fishing and have fun. Be safe, and keep eye out for illegal taking of fish. If you see it, Report It! I gotta go..... Loon soup is done!!

Silver Scale

Season is closed from mid May until July 1st so if they are targeting sturgon in June they are illegal. Even if catch and release. One other thing I forgot to mention in my above post is that in 2006 there were 1488 harvest tags sold. That figure does include the St Croix river but I don't have any info on how much harvest or fishing pressure actually occurs there.