Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
fishuhalik

Biggest sturgeon

fishuhalik

What's the biggest sturgeon you guys have seen or have heard of from a reliable source?

ANYFISH

Biggest in our boat is 65 1/2", largest I have heard of is a friend of a relitive (relitive was with) was 70" last summer.

SDbowhunter

One guy in our group caught a 62" last year.

mrwalleye_13

I caught a 57 last weekend that was tagged, after reporting it this is a small portion of the email i recieved...

As of the date of this letter, we have tagged 5,243 lake sturgeon,

2,428 longer than the 45 inch minimum size limit, at the time they were

tagged. The longest sturgeon we have tagged was 71.3 inches long, but

weight was not recorded for this fish. This fish was tagged on the

Rainy River, near the mouth of the Littlefork River, in 2004. The

heaviest sturgeon we have tagged and weighed was 77.9 pounds but only

65.7 inches long. This fish came from the Littlefork River in 2000.

The largest sturgeon we have sampled was caught off of Pine Island in

September of 2007. This fish was 73 inches long and estimated to weigh

120 pounds. Unfortunately we were not set up to tag this fish, so it

was released without a tag.

crdsrob

We caught a couple 62 inchers. However there was a big difference between them. The one I caught was 50 lbs. The one my buddy caught was 64 lbs. Same length but totally different fish.

jadkins

Caught a 72.5 inch 2 years ago, looking at the current record I would say, this one would have given it a run for the money. It's cool to see people interested in sturgeon fishing. When I was fishing them years ago nobody was fishing them. Now people have an interest in them. I think it should be all catch and release though. Rainy is the only place in the state you can fish for them, if you want to eat fish, remember you are at the Walleye meca of the world, keep them instead.

fishuhalik

I know most people would be all for cpr only. Why keep a fish that's that old? BTW, when does walleye season close?

DTro

Originally Posted By: jadkins
Rainy is the only place in the state you can fish for them

Not entirely true.

There is a stretch on the St Croix that you can fish them as well.

They tend to be more abundant, but smaller. For sure some real big ones mixed in though.

Tyler Holm

My 52"er on the Rainy was my heaviest but I got a 58"er on the St. Croix.

A 68"er was caught right next to me last year on the Rainy. Guess it over 70lbs.

jadkins

I wasn't aware of the St' Croix sturgeon area, because I never get down that way. I would think most people practice CPR but I have heard of and seen people excited to keep one because it fell in the slot. I guess the DNR feels the population is stable enough to have people keep one, but with tghe added fishing pressure maybe they will rethink it in a few years.

silverfox

Back when I started fishing sturgeon, a friend and I boated a 69 incher. It weighed 75lbs when we got it to a scale in Bemidji the next day, and it was still alive after riding in the back of the scout from International Falls to Bemidji. Wasn't too far from the state record at the time. I believe that was spring of 1996, maybe 1995. Can't remember for sure. It was fun though!

Matt Phelps

troyfideldy

What did your buddy honestly do with a 69 inch 75 lb sturgeon?

Chad Halvorson

We landed a tagged fish Sunday, took down the #'s and stats. Who are you suppose to give this info to, just a general DNR #?

PerchJrkr

69" sturgeon? steak it up and grill it. mmmmmm mmm

Matt Breuer

This is from a reliable source, as I had set the hook 2 seconds after this young fella set the hook. Lone behold we had the same fish. I let nearly all of my line out and we watched this 13 year old boy land this FAT 68" fish. Great to see!

Wonder if this is the same one you saw boated Tyler?

13yo68bb5.jpg

This is the biggest I've seen up there, and I haven't heard from a reliable source of many bigger...

Scott M

A DNR fisheries employee showed me a 71" from a personal trip.

silverfox

He cut it up and had it smoked. The best smoked fish I have ever had. It was awesome!

Tyler Holm

Originally Posted By: Matt Breuer
This is from a reliable source, as I had set the hook 2 seconds after this young fella set the hook. Lone behold we had the same fish. I let nearly all of my line out and we watched this 13 year old boy land this FAT 68" fish. Great to see!

Wonder if this is the same one you saw boated Tyler?

13yo68bb5.jpg

This is the biggest I've seen up there, and I haven't heard from a reliable source of many bigger...

That wasn't it Matt.

Chad Halvorson

I got the info back real quick on that Sturgeon, apparently it grew from 32" to 36" since October 2007, I though they grew a lot slower than that?

Chad Halvorson

I hooked into another guys big fish as well, they weren't following the fish and I was about 50 yards away from them when the fish snagged my line. They fought the fish for over an hour and basically never moved their boat. It was too bad because the area they "took over" was putting out some real nice fat girls...

jadkins

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

PerchJrkr

hmmm mmm. mercury..... i didnt wanna have kids anyway

jadkins

I think I'm glad you don't have kids too, because you attiditde doesn't seem to be one that needs to be passed on.....

PerchJrkr

do you actually think i would want to eat a sturgeon. come on. i only keep walleyes and i dont even keep them over 17". it sickened me to see people measuring fish and tryin to get their limit of 19 3/8" so they could get more meat. i made it a point to keep 15-16" all males