Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
GoggleEye

Anyone looking for fishing partner to fill open seats?

pharmdfd

My buddy snagged one in the front fin Friday morning with his walleye rod and we had to fight it for about 30-40 minutes before landing it - thank god for fireline. It was 63 inches long and weighed around 65 pounds on the berkley scale.

GoggleEye

Captainstevo, you have email!

GE

Northlander

14' boat is great for spring Rainy River fishing. You can drag it off or on the ice. A 15-25 horse would work fine. You usually dont have to go too far.

Usually not a lot of speed freaks on the river. Not usually too many bigger boats but there are a few. Never had any problems in a 14' boat up there.

Scott M

Great to hear it if CaptainStevo and GoogleEye can get out. The power of the internet. I hope you guys slay em.

GoggleEye

Ya, I know my boat can handle the river no problem, but I am just sick of being thrown around in the large boat wakes. It seems like they follow me around. Plus, my trailer is not in good condition right now and the thought of trailering it 12 hours round trip scares me. It's on it's last leg.....which is why I am in the process of selling my boat. Plus I want to upgrade to a 16 or 17 foot.

GoggleEye

Well, captainstevo has not responded to my email, so I am still looking for anyone who may have an empty seat in their boat for this coming weekend (04/12-04/13). I am willing to share gas costs, lodging, bait, etc. I'm not a novice, so you will not be holding my hand all weekend! Drop me a message if interested.

GoggleEye

deepblueagua at yahoo dot com

Gary Crichton

What happened there. It sounded like everything was set.

GoggleEye

Don't know, I shot him an email and never heard anything back. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

SD_waterfowler

There is a decent chance I might make the trip up from Sioux Falls, SD on Friday and there is a small chance I would have an open spot. I have a 4 door Nissan Titan and a 17.5 ft Crestliner Fishhawk.

I was planning on fishing out here this weekend but the weather forcast looks better up there than it does here. I've always wanted to try the Rainy in the spring but have never planned a trip. Any information anyone could privide would be extremely appreciated.

If you have been around the forums (waterfowl) for awhile I'm JerknPerchSD with a new name.

PerchJrkr

stay at the royal dutchman if you go!

3/8 oz jigs, wouldnt do it without stingers. get big rainbows.

SD_waterfowler

Thanks.

Also, I hear talk about watching the border. What areas does a guy need to watch?

Are there any good drinking holes around those parts? I'm always up for a cold beer after a cold day on the water.

What are the chances of finding a motel within 100 miles?

GoggleEye

SD Waterfowler, if you have an empty spot, let me know. I could meet up with you somewhere around Willmar or paynesville and then head for rainy from there. From that point on, I would be glad to chip in my fair share for gas, food, bait, lodging, etc. I've got plenty of walleye and sturgeon grade equipment I would be willing to borrow also if need be. You can shoot me an email if interested....deepblueagua @ yahoo dot com

GE

SD_waterfowler

I just have to check with another guy to see what his decision is. I will know more tonight or tomorrow. I have plenty of gear but appreciate the offer.

PerchJrkr

ya theres plenty of bars around there, i dont know how booked hotels are- go to the LOTW forum and print out the thing of hotels and resorts, theres 5 pages of resorts within probably 50 miles of there. but i do highly reccomend the royal dutchman. i dont know how much they really enforce the border line, but there was plenty of holes on our side. we didnt really watch too close and i think we may have been in canada some of the time... maybe we got lucky :|

GoggleEye

SD- Sounds good. Just let me know.

Perch- When you were fishing in the iced areas, were you catching more fish? Bigger Fish? Did you guys have any problems landing fish or have your line cut by the ice chunks at all?

PerchJrkr

Ya i think we got more and bigger fish. we didnt really have too many problems, but it was kinda tough, the ice would push in and close up your holes. I broke off on a couple sturgeons because of the ice. i just kept the paddle handy and kept pushing the ice away. I got my big sturgeon through about a 3'x3' hole! It is a little unnerving being surrounded by ice as well. it gets kinda hairy up there at times!

GoggleEye

Ya, I wouldn't want to be around a bunch of moving ice chunks with a 30" eye tugging on my line! It's unnerving enough with clear open water just trying to play the big girls and net them successfully.

PerchJrkr

well i mean being in that ice, ive heard alot of horror stories of boats being crushed like pop cans, i dont know how much of its true but it was in the back of my mind the entire time....

GoggleEye

Ya I have heard that too, but I can't see the ice doing much damage to your boat unless it is moving quickly or the operator of the boat is driving through the "icefields" too fast. I could see some paintchipping and scratches being a result of fishing in that stuff, but nothing major. Maybe I am wrong...

PerchJrkr

lol. ever heard of the titanic?

GoggleEye

OK, OK, I didn't know we were talking about ocean ice!!!! I thought we were referencing the rainy river here!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

GE