• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whats the word!?

I just got back from fishing the big lake and while i was up there heard the river had opened up another 2 miles on friday. Does anyone know where its at right now?? just took off the 4th, 5th, 6th and 11th,12th, and 13th. Cant wait to get up there and hit those pigs!!!!

Its right at Franz Vevne park as of yesterday I would image that in the next couple of days that it should be opening up to Birchdale. I'm heading up there this afternoon for the week so I'll post what I see!!!!

The ice is some place from 6 to 2 miles away from Birchdale according to "Gail and Art" from Clementson resort... the ice is in a 4 mile spot that is not accessible to the public, they are checking every day and posting on there web site. I am thinking Friday or Saturday small boats over the ice at Birchdale.

Quote from Gail:

"Open water is between markers 162 and 158 (Franz Jevne) where I won't be able to see until it reaches Franz Jevne Landing now."

Birchdale marker= 156

Mark

Well i guess theres nothing to do but cross my fingers and hope it doesnt turn to chocolate milk by the weekend of the 4th 5th 6th!! sounds like there will be fishing to be had by then if it doesnt get dirty!!

Has anyone been fishing yet i wonder?? i have never fished the river and was up on the ice last year the last 2 days when it was crazy on the river and we were wishing we had the boat. should be good as soon as theres open areas to fish right? do most people go more east or west from birchdale??

on another note, was size jigs do i want to have?? 1/4 oz 3/8 oz or bigger? ive heard a million different things from different people, i know everyone has their own preferences, but ive never really fished current. i'd like to use the smallest jig possible..

ohh yea- and if the river does turn to mud is there areas where you can get upstream of those feeder creeks usually and get out of it?? seems like you could always just get upsteam of them and be ok, but i have no idea.. maybe theres still ice on the river in those areas still..

thanks for all and any input for a rainy river beginner!!

I would go with 3/8 or 1/2 most of the time. Last year there was very little current and you could get away with a 1/4. It sounds as though there is more current this year than last ( a good thing). If the river turns to mud you can travel towards International Falls and fish out of pelland or out of the public access to the west of I-Falls (I forget the name of the access). Those area's are already open. Good luck!

If the river turns to mud I pack up and head home, If the river IS mud I don't go. I have not done well above Birchdale EVER.

If the fishing is that hot above Nelson park at Birchdale, lot's and I do mean Lot's of other people would be fishing there!!!

Yes... there are some people do catch some fish up stream but most don't...... there for.... most people fish from Nelson park down.

Unless the temps spike, fishing on the river for the next few weeks should be fine.

Mark

Well im planning on bringing the ice shack and all my ice fishing gear too. its alot of stuff to haul around, but it the river goes to mud, thats a long way to drive for nothing. There will be plenty of ice on the lake if last weekend was any indication! thanks for the help guys!

Just heard the river is about 4 miles from birchdale, the good people at the Royal dutchman are going to check it out personally today! also just made reservations there, better book soon as they are filling up fast- great service there, they are great people!!

This is gonna sound dumb, but shows how much i know about the river, but does it flow from LOTW to I falls or from I falls to LOTW?

also, what colors seem to work best up there? white, gold, pink? gonna stop into sportsmans warehouse in st.cloud this weekend to stock up and just wondering what has traditionally been the best for you guys.

International Falls to LOW. As for Colors, I don't really think it matters a whole lot if the fish are snapping. Just make sure you have a good variety of sizes with.

As for the river getting muddy, It wouldn't upset me at all...I'll just get the sturgeon stuff out and head up there. If the river is clear, it's a &^%$#@#* Circus! I can't believe how many people drive a long ways to fish the Rainy River in the spring. The fishing is good, but the crowds are unbelievable.

That's why I don't mind the river getting muddy. There is almost no one fishing the river and the sturgeon are biting like crazy...what a great combination.

Either way, I'll probably be up sometime this spring. Good luck to all who are heading up for the early season.

White, gold, pink, chartreuse, green, yellow in 1/4 & 1/2. bring stinger hooks, then reproduce all of the above in short shank.

Then there is crank baits on 3-way swivels. Almost everything you could catch a walleye on would work. Live bait- river shiners, fat heads, rainbows, sometimes big enough is not big enough.

Mark

Do you lose alot of jigs to snags, rocks etc? maybe i should bring a couple hundred for 3 days of fishing?

No. I usually lose maybe a few jigs for three days. Many times, I don't lose any. If the fish are really snapping, I'll often use just one jig for an entire trip (no reason to change). Try using fireline. With a good knot, your jig will straighten or you'll pull in the snag before you'll break the line. It helps to have a pair of gloves so the line doesn't cut your hands! It's pretty amazing stuff as far as strength goes, not to mention the sensitivity.

I've got guys that I fish with that tend to lose more jigs because they drag bottom, or because they use mono line. They still catch fish, they just lose more tackle.

If you bring up a couple dozen jigs, variety of colors, some long shank, and some short with stinger hooks, you should be good to go. I prefer to use real meat, but plastics will work too.

i refuse to use fireline. i had some on a rod about 5-6 years ago and somehow snagged about a 30 pound carp, smoked all the guides on my rod and the roller on my reel! ill never use it again. ive never had a problem with 4-6 lb mono. its all about the drag!

"4-6 lb mono"!! Perch, you better have a fair amount tackle.

Rocks.... tree branches and snags.... oh my!

I would definatly leave the 4 lb at home. 6-8 lb will do but you will lose a few jigs (paying the river gods). superlines are great to use for sensitivity and braking power, especially nice if and when you hook into a sturgeon. If you haven't caught a sturgeon you probably don't want to lose it after you've fought it for a while, they are just great (but tiring) to catch. good luck.

As far jigs color isn't always important. I prefer to use Erie style standup jigs (find at fleet farm) they seem to handle the current better than regular round head jigs.

Lot's of good input but I gotta get my $.02 in here.

Tim, Fireline works well for you guys with the big boats and expensive rods with titanium guides but us poor folk with the aluminum-oxide guides get destroyed by it (LOL). I do use Power-Pro and feel that it gives me all the benefits without the negatives. It doesn't retain water like Fireline, which is critical at lower 30 temps, and it is no where near as abrasive.

I love the sensativity of the superline, but usually have a rod rigged with each to fit the conditions(or the mood) at hand and to pull-off/break- off just take two turns around the hand and lift the slack out with the rod tip as you pull and you won't get line burn.

Oh yeah, hope I don't have to see your Ranger playing Soviet ice breaker this year!

Will, I have fished for a month on the river with 1 jig and I have lost 6 in 30 minutes. A lot depends on conditions and how close to the bottom the eyes are wanting the bait. I try to fish a 2 to 6" range off the bottom. Bump, lift, bump lift, pause, repeat. "If your draggin', your snaggin'.

Also, generally, if you catch pike you're to high and if you catch sturgeon you're setting on the bottom to much.

I like Norther Tackle Fireballs in the metalic green and gold, M likes the orange. We always use a 3" treble stinger and no lighter than 3/8 oz. I know lots of guys use lighter but I feel I can optimize my time in the strike zone with a heavier jig.

Just spent 2 days on the island rippin' eyes but couldn't stop thinking about "the river"! Bring it on!

East of Birchdale you will find the rapids. Interesting to navigate especially with any low water situations. If you plan on fishing upstream from there I'd trailer closer to your target. Might take a bit more time but fewer headaches (ie replacing lower units/ props/ etc)

Well thanks for your input Doug, i made reservations yesterday for the 4th, 5th 6th, and the 11th, 12th, and 13th - cant wait to get up there!! Ill have to give ya a call or talk to you when i get there and get some more information!

I typically stay away form the stinger hooks. Takes too much time to unhook, can possibly injure the larger fish that have to be released, they also seem to pull your minnow off your jig.

I keep a pair of forceps in the boat for un-hooking. Don't recall a problem with injured fish and believe they save bait from being robbed by tail biters.

We have days when up to 75% of our fish are caught on the stingers. That alone is enough to sell me.

Funny how we can do the same thing and come away with a totally opposite feel!

The main reason being is that I did't have any trouble hooking fish last year. I hook my minnows different than most, though.

Yep. everyone has their own preferences. Ive never used stinger hooks before personally, but i will be including them in my arsenal JUST IN CASE! you can never bring too much stuff right? its only money- you cant spend it when you die!

there isnt even much point of me being at work right now. If my boss would let me i'd be up north from now until april 14th!

Has anyone else actually been out yet? Need FIRST HAND REPORTS!!!

PJ--I'm having a blast reading your posts...I love the excitement and anticipation. It's gonna be on this year, I just know it. Describe your boat so I can give you a wave when we drift by you.

Will,

The bite was definately on today!

Carl and I got out after noon and caught over 50 by 6PM. Nothing big in our boat but 1 of our groups had 4 over 26" with 27.5 being the big.

Its open to mm152 and really broke-up for another mile below that.

Gotta head for the NW Sportshow tomorrow, so try to leave us a few for next week!

Its a 16' Lund with a 30 hp johnson and a big dent in the side. Ill be the guy with a big smile on my face and a walleye in each hand!