• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How are the access points holding up?

If you guys have any info on how they are holding up it would be nice to have a central place to post.

Thanks guys.

Forest lake was awfully wet yesterday evening, large puddles everywhere but the main acces in town was still passable.

Tunrevir~

Red,

If I were a bettin man, I would put money on the West Rush access being tore up pretty quick. Lots of people fish panfish out there, which equates to lots of traffic on a less than stellar access when it starts to get warm.

Right now, it is probably wet, by Saturday it will be wet and probably muddy. By mid next week, don't expect to make it out in a vehicle unless you have it in 4wd.

I was out on South Center, its wet but still doable~... but like polar said, could get shady in a hurry with the temps how they are...

Green Lake in Chisago was like all the rest last night, lots of standing water, plus there were some high school kids in a Ramcharger, I still haven't figured out what they were doing yet.

They were driving on and off at the access, then taking an immediate right turn, not left, like most do to drive over to where you fish the pan fish.

But they were taking the right turn, and driving along the shoreline for 300-400 yards, turning around and then back on shore. They just kept doing that for about 20-30 minutes.

BTW, fishing was pretty slow as well, with nothing over the 9" minimum for 3-4 hours of fishing, even the small ones weren't biting quite as fast as earlier in the year.

Polarus~ Thanks for the info. I havent been out there this year but yes I heard it was a zoo. We will be giving it a try tomorrow. I will report back. Thanks again!!

Certainly let us know what the access looks like. It will start to go down hill fast there.

Fl is still accesible at all 3 of the main accesses...but big puddles as you put on....

yep, drove out after work today and it is still in okay shape. Watch out for those landings with the dirt and mud coming onto the lake though. They might be fine in the am but come afternoon into evening, might have to do a bit of 4 wheeling to get in. Looks like the majority of the water that has been on the ice hass soaked through which can lead to great fishing but be careful with autos near the points, reeds and access areas as they tend to degrade pretty quickly. Good luck out there this weekend but please be safe!

Tunrevir~

Yep, the lake is fine right now. Drove by the access in town this a.m and there were cars out already. The water has soaked through the ice and there isn't as much ice on the surface anymore.

Tunrevir~

Frankies access is closed on Chisago. The boat access is decent, and so are the 2 winter access on either side of it. I haven't been over to the dinner bell winter access, though.

Lots of ice covered water. Makes travel with a house interesting. Doable, but interesting!

Rush Lake - The resort access on East was wet but passable. There was a layer of ice over a a little water but not bad. 4 feet of ice, barely got through without an extension. The public access on West was about the same. I may try FL in the morning. Have they gotten any worse today? I noticed the temp at my house barely got above 32.

btw, the fishing was slow. The gills were fussy and hitting so light they wouldnt bubge the bobber. Good luck all!!

This afternoon I went by the Lake street access on Chisago (off of Stinson I think). There were some road bocks...but they had been moved so it looked like you could get by. Is this "franky's" that you mention? That access is really getting beat up. I would STRONGLY suggest a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

I also drove by South Center off of the point by Whispering bay...and it appeared to be in decent shape.

Thanks for the info guys.

Checked out FL this afternoon and it looks good out on the ice other than a little water but I'm a bit spooked by the puddles at the landing by Willow Point since I don't have 4 wheel drive on the cars. Sure is tempting to take the ATV out and hit the crappies. I don't live far from Willow Point and have pulled the sled behind the ATV down to the lake many times this winter, but the road is so dry now I'd have to try to load everything on the racks. Sure would be handy to have a little wheeled trailer for the ATV for situations like this.

Craving fresh fish...

Fuzz,

I had the same apprehension as you about pulling the sled on dry land. I just loaded my gear on the wheeler and left the shelter at home, no sled. I have to say it worked fine! Hit quite a few gills and even a couple keeper perch. I did throw back at least 25 perch that were tiny! Good luck.

BTW I use Timm's Marina landing on 3rd and would say it is fine for a wheeler, but would be a little wary with a vehicle.

FLaker

I was out on Pokegama yesterday and we went to the east and south access's i would say the south was in very good shape and the east was a bit muddy but it always is unless you get lots of snow..

Later,

Ryan

how is the west rush access holding up? might out there this week and are they still driven out there?

I was out at Chisago this morning...Frankies is closed (off of Lake Ave.).

The public launch by the channel looked a little wet to me...and I didn't want to be the first after this snow.

Where else can you drive on Chisago?

Oh yeah...

I also drove by Forest lake off of Ideal...looks pretty wet, but there were car tracks in the snow, so they must have used it this morning or late last night.

I was out on W. Rush on Friday and Saturday and the lake was actually in better condition on Saturday. Friday there was quite a bit of water on the ice by the time I left at about 2:30. Saturday it was all locked up tite. I left around noon on Sat. and the access was froze real well, but it was sort of rough going since all the slush and ruts from Friday were frozen.

We got a few inches of heavy snow last night and the temp right now is 37 so I would guess it will be getting to be a mess out there soon. Plenty of ice out there though, didn't need the extension, but almost did.

Was out on Chisago on saturday, besides the access and channel being a little wet and rough, lake was in great condition. tons of ice. I was driving a 2wd Pick up and people met me out there in a car and a mini van so travel wasnt bad.

I've parked the ice fishing gear for the season.

With this heavy wet snow now, it's going to melt with the sun as high as it is (same height as September 20th +/- couple of days) and the heat is going to melt the snow.

That water will work its way through the ice, making it "honeycomed". Sure, there's ice there, but it's not as good as 3-4 weeks ago.

But then again, I drive a crew cab diesel pickup too.

The ice is melting from both ends now, if it's not, cold enough to make more ice, then the lake water underneath starts to melt it...

It may look the same height on top, but check it out, measure accurately from under the crust starting at the clear ice down...

I checked on Monday and from the Wednesday before the clear ice was 1/2 foot thinner in the same spot...Yikes!!! eek.gif

Originally Posted By: MOBY RICHARD
The ice is melting from both ends now, if it's not, cold enough to make more ice, then the lake water underneath starts to melt it...Yikes!!! eek.gif

Lake water melts? whistle.gif

Read carefully, "the lake water starts to melt it" not, the lake water starts to melt, although technically most of the ice is frozen lake water... whistle.gif;\)

How are the access points on south center or little lake?

• 2 weeks later...

Pokegama:

South Access: Open water for 10' or so but you can still get out with a truck on the right side if you are careful

East Access: Muddy but no open water so it is better but with no snow on the sharp bank it is tougher to get back up...

West Rush:

Public Access: Open water n the usual spots from the runoff coming down the hill right in the middle and to the right but we snaked the truck out and to the left. While bolting out right in by shore we had a wheel drop through but were able to power it out in 4wd.

Access' will probably be pretty well undrivable by midweek and definately walking with planks by next weekend unless we get some unusually cold night to freeze everything up again..

Hope this helps,

Ryan