• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Myth, The Legend, The Mille Lacs Crappie.

Shack

awesome thoughts... I think wee will be learning alot more in th enext few weeks w/ all these intelligent people on here. Don't need any way points; but keep the info coming!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shack

• JIGGIN'

• Coach1310

• HunterWinfield

Well, my buddy and I went there today and tried it out. We ended up catching about 20 crappies from 9am-7pm. No real specific time they bit. Largest fish was 12". We took home a total 6 fish from 10"-12". The other 14 were all 10" and under. My buddy missed one nice one at the top of the hole which he claimed to be around 13"-14". We did see one monster swim underneath our hole but wasn't enticed by our jigs.

Here is a pic of the 12"

DSC00590.jpg

I can finally say I caught a Mille Lacs Lake crappie :).

A friend and I were in isle bay yesterday. Tried several depths, but no luck. Just a bunch of little perch. Fun to be out though. It was our first time on ml trying for the big slabs. We'll be back to give it another try. Anyone else have any luck?

After I drilled my holes I would fish them and if there were little perch there I would move. No perch meant crappies were around and I would catch one or two before the perch moved back in. Let me tell you this, there are little perch everywhere. Drill until you don't find perch.

I just received an very informative e-mail from a fellow FM’er about a big item I left out about when fishing the Mille Lacs crappies. The most important rule of thumb when catching Mille Lacs crappies is to “catch and release” and practice selective harvest.

Also he added the possibility of DNR dropping the limit on ML crappies to “5”, because of the heavy pressure and poor practices of some when they find some of these fish.

I know it is everyone’s right to a limit of fish, but some have taken this a little to far in the past, which has put a strain on ML crappies.

In most of my post’s in the past, I stress “catch and release” strongly on any lake I fish and Mille Lacs is not exception. I get the fish up, snap a picture and let it go. I should have included this in my first post of this thread, but its never to late to say it.

Good luck

Biff,

I might head up to ML on Sunday. I will be on the west and south end looking for jumbo perch and crappies.

Its up in the air as of now.

Good luck...

This crappie fishing on Mille Lacs is gonna draw major crowds. Especially now that it is advertised on here several times. Definately gonna have alot of double dippers. I hope the DNR is watching this closely.

Ya, jltimm.

That’s why I want to spread the message of Catch and Release.

It helps save our fisheries for the future.

I also figure, after a hard day poking holes and moving around, the last thing I want to do after I get home and unload is have to clean fish grin.gif.

I know the DNR is going to out on the “hot spots” and let’s hope they are doing a thorough job..

Lets also hope any F.M.ers up in the "hot spots" keep an eye out for people doing wrong things and call T.I.P... Also it never hurts to spread the word about "catch and Release" to others on the ice, when out fishing.

lets hope that the 200 people out in isle bay this weekend don't keep too many fish. After all, it is quite difficult to even catch a single fish with no more than a minimum of 5 augers going off at once in a given 5oo sq ft. area. I really don't see how the crappies on a 130,000 acre lake would ever be in danger. Yeah, there aren't that many of them, but really is ML a crappie lake to begin with? I'm all for catch and release, I mostly fish muskies and have never kept a single muskie. I most often practice catch and release with any species that is too big to eat. Really, the only time I eat fish is when I fish the hardwater season, and that is for pannies. How many other lakes in MN are at the same risk you are describing here with many other species of fish? Sorry to sound so crass and insensitive but you started this thread with the intent of it to be educational and informative now where is it going?

Aanderud and Jiggin,

I think you guys are right on. This is a big lake and fish will move, then you have to find them.

Jiggin,

As far as my post you are referring to, its just basic (got to be said) info. I feel better after it was brought to my attention and I added the post. As far as the limit change, I received an e-mail from a prominent member of this site, who’s opinion and views I take very seriously. I have not had time to research this info yet, but I figure I should and report my findings first thing on Monday.

This is a strong thread and I figure we will work threw this little speed bump. I figured it would possibly happen and I always keep an open mind to all views. I did not take any feeling to heart from your post, you are just adding your opinion. \:\)

Cool-- Thanks for listening. No ill intentions on my part with what I said. I agree that keeping every fish a person catches is not a good practice which is why we have limits, slots, etc. I'll shut up now.

Back to the subject---

I was out there yesterday and saw a lot of crappies on my camera. No biters for me unfortunately there was just too much noise in Isle Bay. One must go during the week. It may be a bit early yet, should get better later. I also will be checking out Wahkon and Twin Bays later on as well...

First off crappies don't "move around" much. Especialy in the spring. They are VERY predictable, and very easy to catch. The spot with TWO HUNDRED fisherman is where they want to be! The two hundred fisherman just scater them a little and shut them down. When fish are disturbed too much they sulk. they don't just move and resume the rutine. Mille Lacs crappies don't need the pub. They can't handle it. There are not that many in the lake, especialy trophies anymore. The population has already been damaged. The average size has been reduced greatly. I've seen the same thing happen on much better crappie lakes. Talking about general theory is great, but nobody's terribly interested in that. The second post picked the spot! Quick fix. Catching not fishing is most folks idea of a good day on the water. The best advice now for catching trophy crappies on Mille Lacs is LET tHEM GO! Even the little ones. I'd love to see Mille Lacs tuned into an entirly trophy fishery for ALL species. C & R ONLY. Advertising the crappies in this lake is the equivalant to netting. This lake is just too close to the cities too sustain the presure it gets.

Sorry if you don't like my rant, but I love this lake, and have seen it really change due to angling and DNR/native activeties and decisions. Some of the changes have been good but some have really hurt things and the people who made their living there. Enjoy the lake, but let's try and let it keep it's potential.

Jim

Maybe close the season for awhile until the fish move back out of the spring shallows, alot of us here on this forum know how vulnerable the Big panfish are in the spring where people can slaughter them from shore. What do you think?

I personally have fished millelacs crappie for 30 years and i agree the size is not as good as years past. Why? Spring slaughter perhaps?

Maybe keep it closed until after the fish have completely

spawned and move out deeper? I understand the first move to shallows is not to spawn. But keep it closed until they have spawned and left the shallows , would this work ?

I would like to hear what people have to say on this?

I know all these things can potentially effect businesses also so what is the answer?

I don't think closing the season is the way to go on this. IMO the DNR needs to start managing pan fish like they do walleyes etc. Which means slots and lower limits.

Hey guys, check out the thread in the “Outdoor Discussion, Clean-ups, and Agendas - Keep it Civil” forum. We are discussing these same topics in their.

So, did anyone else get out this weekend??? \:\)

It was a nice weekend, but I had family stuff come up yesterday.

I am not in favor of too many manditory restrictions by the Government. Once you start regulations, it is like a virus and spreads whether it's needed or not. Just choke us off altogether, why-don't-ya.

I usually only keep what I eat on occasion and put most all of the fish back in the lake or river anyways. If I keep a bigger crappie it's because it's hooked deep & bleeding & won't make it anyway. I have never fished ML for Crappies and I thought I'd try it once this spring, but don't want a gun in my face.

The younger generation is outdoors less, their fishing is down, gas is super expensive to go so up north trips are less frequent, all of the "experimental" regulations are in place and overall fishing is better.

Moderation is key. I would like to have some people come over for a fish fry maybe once a year (it's never happened yet) and with too tight of regulations it would take several trips to the lake just to have enough fish to feed some people.

When you're over-regulated, you have no choice.

We can police ourselves. I do, excessively. Please just don't choke me off.

Good luck everyone.

FFAL-- I have seen your posts on a number of other areas on this board and you have good thoughts/ideas... I am not sure you truely understood the point of my response to this thread. You and I are not that far off. I am not for any additional regulations myself. But I understand the need to be responsible and only take what is reasonable as well, just as you stated. Read this thread from top to bottom if you haven't done so already, and you will know what I mean. We all know that Mille Lacs is riddled with yearly restrictions and it gets annoying if you like to keep an occasional fish fry. I don't want to see you choked off either.

Hey Jiggin'

I agree, nothing I posted is against you or anyone, just posting my thoughts. We should have reasonable options, but really police ourselves within it and never waste our resource.

My Father may be rolling in his grave if he saw how careful I am & how many I put back. He would not believe it seeing me riding & beating up my ATV all over Forest Lake for about 2 hours picking up trash a week ago, but that is how I am.

Best wishes.

i will give my opinion here, i think that shackbash just hurt mille lacs more by posting those pictures than if he just said he caught them. over the last 5 years that i have lived here on the lake, there has been more and more people icefishing for crappies on the lake. i think that this is due to forums like this one. do you really think that all the red lake crappies just died off, i think not. look back at all the people that were fishing that lake for all those years and alot were keeping double limits and more. because the mille lacs crappie population is not that large, it won't take long to wreck it. as people have stated, the average size has already dropped...........tom fellegy

shackbash, by chanch, do you drive a older blue ford pick-up???

With all do respect.....no forum has ever caught and kept a crappie on Mille Lacs. It is up to the angler or sportsman/woman to decide that. Do we need to be better conservationists....absolutely, but to blame a website, forum or anything other than an angler is crazy. Keep up the good work Shack!! Remember it is always the new generation computer/internet game that is wrecking the lakes....not the folks of the good 'ol days who were always after limits and had never heard of the term catch and release

Can you be more specific with this? What do you mean by the internet/computer game culture wrecking the lakes? Are you saying that forums that give out real time information may be to blame for passing on too much fish catching information and thereby applying undue pressure onto certain lakes/fishing areas? interesting thought..................

What I am saying is some people who frequent these forums think that because we post reports/info on the internet it is wrecking fish populations, lakes etc. My point is, no forum has ever caught a fish. The people catching the fish and not practicing some level of conservation are to blame. You can compare it to the "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." argument. Hope that clears things up.

I remember back when i was 9 yrs old i'm 46 now, thats along time isn't it? \:D , my grandpa knew of the big crappies in millelacs he was one of the old timers that knew you should not over harvest fish he would never let us take more then we needed for a meal.

Back in the old days not many knew about the crappie hot spots i remember it was just a few old timers that did and i never saw them slaughter the fish. The majority of the fish in those days where over a pound my largest was 2.75 lbs when i was 10. I believe the information super hwy is partly to blame. And also i agree and believe each person has to be responsible for not taking to many , but thats easier said then done when people hear of the bonanza of big fish they naturally want to take as many as they can, there not thinking about tomorrow or years down the road what will happen to the lake. It's like a kid in a candy store they want it all.

I dont agree that it's like the old gun adage.

People over harvest because it's like a pot of gold everyone wants it and more. It's get while the gettin's good thinking isn't it? I guess we need to stop pointing fingers and just try and come up with a solution to stop overharvest on all lakes! Thats the most positive way to change something, and maybe this forum could take credit for helping restore the crappie to what it once was in millelacs? or maybe this forum could continue reminding people how important are fishing resource is everywhere on all lakes. Lead by example? Fight to spread the word.

Ive never fished red lake but from what ive heard there has been a big bonanza of fish slaughter going on which is human nature isn't it? Like Mr.Fellegy said if that lake is failing it must be overharvest. We are all to blame for it. Some people make there living off those fish. Do they preach not to over harvest maybe that would help?

Mr .Fellegy i remember reading a Fellegy's column in the millelacs messenger for many years , was it you or one of your relations? I'm getting kinda old myself now my memory fails me somewhat \:\) I enjoyed reading that column and paper very much.

My family and i had to sell our place a few years ago and it was a very sad day. I had so many good years on that lake.

Night All sleep.gif

Many years ago, it was word of mouth and the hot tip at the local bait shop. Now you got instant information out there where people can jump on. That gets the crowds to show up, but yes, it is up to the angler to be responsible once they get there...and there lies the problem. If all people were sport fisherman, we wouldn't have these squabbles.

I liked Mille Lacs better when the Crappie was just a myth, now the reality spoiled the intrique. ;\)

And it's Bullets that kill people, not guns grin.gif

\:D bullets do kill people after a person fires it into someone grin.gif

Hey nice crappie in your pic muleshack how big was it? Is it a millelacs crappie?

I think it was a myth when i was a kid i never saw many people fishing them back then. My grandpa wouldn't let us keep more then like 5 or 6 fish it kinda ticked me off when i was young but i figured it out later in life. I remember my G-pa taking like 5 crappie into the bait shop to get weighed and they where just under 10 lbs.

Your absolutley correct people are the problem. And frankly i'm tired of hearing about it! No matter what any of us say we will tick somebody off so i'm done with this debate.

Tomorrow i'm going to Slam some fish with a buddy grin.gif

Later

i am not the writer, that would be couisns joe and steve, they both write a guest column in the messenger. these web sites are a double edge sword. there is alot of real good information that i and everybody else comes here to find. on the other hand it also lets thousands of people know about a hot bite instantly, and within hours, there are people there fishing that bite. by the next day, there is hundreds of people there fishing that bite. in the old days it took longer for the word to get out, and without seeing pictures, it was just a rumor. now with the internet, people bring the digital camra and the laptop and with in minuets reports and pictures are posted. i think that this could and will wreck some lakes. as far as red lake goes, i don't know for sure if over fishing is why the crappie are on the decline, but i think that it has alot to do with it. just think back and figure how many folks were there every week durning it's hayday, and back when it started, the limit was 15, not 10. put a pen to paper and figure it out, that would be more crappies that i care to count. if i remember right, there were alot of reports comming over the internet about the crappie bite there. red lake is a bigger lake than mille lacs, and if it can happen there, it can happen here at mille lacs................tom fellegy