• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm coming up for some looper fishing in April. I have a few questions for the looper/steelhead fishermen.

1. Is there anyplace where you can buy eggs for spawn sacs?

2. Does anyone use artificial eggs or powerbait eggs?

3. What is a good color to go with?

4. Are looper bugs and waxworms or crawlers just as good or better than spawn sacs?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I caught more than half my loopers/cohos on nightcrawlers or looper bugs/bobber.

When the fish were farther offshore I liked the spawn bags because you can really gun them way out there, which you can't with a crawler. But you can also get the weighted Rossbobbers way the heck out there.

I never found eggs for sale when I was looper fishing around Duluth, but that may have changed. I always just bought the mesh bags and tied my own up fresh as soon as I caught a hen with eggs. Pink or chartreuse worked equally well for me. I don't know if color made that much of a difference with spawn bags.

If I was back down doing the looper thing right now, I'd just buy spawn bags already tied as I needed them and would focus more on the looper bugs and crawlers. Less hassle that way.

if you are fishing in the rivers, yarn flies work about as good as spawn(at least after the water warms a little) and way less hassle and stink as spawn. Cripes I had to leave my fishing vest outside during season when I still used a lot of spawn, man did that thing stink \:o

Al, at Al's Bait and Tackle in Two Harbors, gave me a quick tutorial when I was new to the whole looper thing on how to tie spawn sacks. You can buy spawn sacks there or at other North Shore oriented tackle shops. Then all you have to do is catch your first hen looper, go back to same tackle shop for mesh and magic thread, and you are set.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll be staying in Two Harbors, so I'll be sure to visit Al's.

Trade you a day of lopper fishing for a day of flatheading?

If anyone is in need of Looper spawn just let me know. I have several small packs in the freezer. Just use my e-mail below and put something about Looper spawn in the subject line. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Catfishhunter - would you believe I've never fished flatheads? Although since I started following FM and have seen some pics, I think I should start. I'm more of a walleye guy \:D The Minnesota River is a great fishery.

BD110 - Thanks for the offer. I'll email you if I need some when I'm in the area.

Harbi, You will wish you could use walleyes for bait when get into flats.

BD you have mail

Can anyone give me a desent rundown on what rivers to hit for April Loopers ? Going to give it another try after 15 years.

For loopers stick closer to Duluth; Lester, mouth of the french, Sucker. You'll find some loopers north of 2 harbors for sure, but most of the stocking is in the lower rivers. Stewert, Gooseberry, split rock are all good rivers.

Matt,Catfish & Harbi,

I just checked my e-mail and replys have been sent. Catfish I'll get you my cell number.

The new question is if spawn from the Great Lakes is legal.

I heard this topic is coming up since the new diseases showing up. Especially, if used on inland trout lakes. Was talked about on the "Fishing Frenzy" on the radio in Duluth on March 13th.

Anybody know the exact law?

Regardless of the law, it is probably a good idea to only use spawn or other bait collected from Superior on the Great Lakes and not inland lakes.

I agree, but what is the official ruling on that one? I started a new topic on smelt regs. Kind of wondering about smelt much as the Colonel is about the spawn.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I wonder if freezing smelt or spawn kills a virus?

I would think so, but maybe it just goes dormant? So can we use these in waters other than lake superior???

I called the Fisheries Dept and yes you can still use Lake Superior smelt for bait on Inland lakes. Of coarse just as always they can't be alive. Spawn is also allowed for use on Inland lakes.

I was told by a Wi. DNR that we cant use smelt inland is that even if you freeze them they can still spread different sorts of "Stuff" into other waters.

Thats why Canada dont let our smelt in.

I was referring to Minnesota.

It makes no sense for MN and Wi to not have the same regs on this. The smelt are from the same lake and will have the same issues no matter where they are transported.

Hypothetical example here guys so bear with me.

So I live in Superior, go to park point or lester to smelt, catch a ton of smelt and then transport them home. Sell them to friends, give them to friends, sell to baitshops in Wi and Mn and take them all over Mn and Wi to fish with them.

Does it make sense to anyone that Mn should be different than WI on this?

Last year MN DNR let shops by smelt from smelters. Wi DNR told their baitshops not to buy smelt from lake superior or tribs. Go figure? crazy.gif

Thats why the minnow transport thing is so foolish. More gets transported on trailers/boats than any minnow bucket.

Hey All,

I was wondering about a couple things about Superior..

First, when do you expect ice off?

Second, if the wind is right, does it pay to fish the shorelines shallow in the early spring early May, or whenabouts? Lakers?

Third, can you fish out in front of creekmouths by boat?

I've only been to Madeline Island in July and there was a good Noreaster that day, so fishing was tough with the riggers.

I haven't reviewed the regs closely, but would for sure.

Any advice would be verryyy appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

First time using this site so i hope this all works right. I was just wondering if anyone has done any good yet for loopers from shore? Thinking about getting out this weekend but just wondering if its even worth it. Any little info would be great. Thanks

UMD welcome. When the ice isnt mesing with ya you can get a few.

UMD welcome to forum. Now how did we get from spawn bags to smelt and who knows what. Even our mods cant get it right. Must be withdrawls. Anyway Most of the spawn comes from the big lake. Yet some of it comes from michigan. As far spawn going inland its anybodys guess.