• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Draining of Cedar

I heard last weekend that the money makers finally got their way to make Cedar into a fricken duck hunting pond. While I maybe can see their point of view that the lake "used to be a slough" I do not agree that dropping the lake 3 feet is going to magically produce ducks. In order to have "ducks on the pond" there has to be ducks. Dropping the lake is not going to bring the flyway back East to where it once was. The "pot hole" region of Minnesota has now moved (along with the flyway) to western MN and Eastern SD/ND.

This "idea" is no different that the BULL the DNR has pulled numerous times on Swan Lake by Nicollet. The lowering of the lake has not produced more ducks, it has reduced the water level so all of the ducks are located in a small area. The DNR has lowered Swan 3-4 times including 1986 when the lake was D-R-Y. Each time they lower the lake, another excuse for doing it is given by the DNR. Need duck grass, the carp/rough fish are bothering the ducks and not allowing them to feed and bothering them while on the water (talk about a load of BULL, seriously, at least give a legit excuse to the public)

I continue to see money making the decisions for the DNR and I just don't understand why they can't let mother nature run its course.

Fishing this weekend on Cedar added to the frustration level due to the fact that many, if not all, of the fish in the lake will not survive next winter. The "deep spots" are around 8ft this year with 3ft of ice leaving 5ft of liveable water. Dropping the lake 3ft this summer will kill lake.

I know I will be spending as much time this spring grapping as many big crappies out of the lake as possible. Once opener hits, I will be out to get the huge pike out of the lake.

I wonder why the DNR doesn't open the lake to "liberalized" fishing for the remainder of the ice fishing season and for that fact all summer. At least then the fish wouldn't go to waste.

Have a great day!

Well that's just terrific. This is by far one of my favorite lakes to fish. There isn't hardly a house on the whole lake and the fishing is pretty good. Goin along with the trolling motor is like being up north.

I am all for more ducks, but not at the expense of the fishing. I dont know if this is true, but if it is I think it is a stupid move even though it USED to be a duck pond. Like Roughneck said they just aren't here, and there is no way to insure they will come back.

I really hate the idea of killing all of those fish! We arent going to get rid of computers and cell phone because we USED to live without them. Sometimes change is good and I believe in the absence of the ducks we should at least have the fish. I hope some other can agree. Until we absolutely know they will come back I am 100% opposed to this.

Is this all word of mouth or is there any documentation on it?

I'm not doubting you guys I just played the telephone game a lot as a kid and we all know how those turned out...

This topic has been brought up before and nothing happened. Not saying it still couldn't happen, but until there's some official info it's all speculation. Too many sewing circles in this area....

I agree LIMITOUT. That's why I wanted to "see" some official documentation.

That's a real good idea, wait until they do it to say something. That approach really works with government. This is the first I have ever really heard about it. Is this something that they are having meetings or hearings on? I would glady go to any kind of input session to put my two cents in. If they know that people are upset once they being to talk about it maybe we could prevent it from ever happening.

I don't mind getting worked up before it happens, at least they are gonna know where I stand.

I like ducks. I also like the idea of cleaning up a slough lake that used to be a slough - Never fished Cedar, don't even know where it is for that matter. But I can personally think of at least 3 or 4 sloughs in the area that NO ONE fishes. The DNR could clean up those and get the carp and minnows to quit stirring them up.

Last year the little slough I hunt hasn’t been that clear (and full of ducks) in years - I think it was the low water and the absence of fish. It may not be a good idea on Cedar - why don't they focus on another slough - I for one would like to bring the fly way back this way - never say never.

FARLEY the lake was half a mile north of the farm, but I saw a few ponds imporved due to the carp dieing out. I agree with you ducks over carp

Ducks > Carp IMO. But if there is crappies and Northern in this lake how did they get there? I'm guessing by some stream so unless they dam up the inlet isnt it just going to happen again?

Dirtking, the lake is south of Greenleaf, southwest of Erie.

I will try and find some hard evidence. I was so shook up that day i started to shake and reason went out the door.

The fish came in from Belle through the "fish trap" on the East end of Cedar.

Man those were some nice crappies last weekend. I know the locals have hit this lake throughout the years and have done well here and there. I was usually concerned about dropping my truck in around the points. Which does happen every year.

I've never fished it before, but if there are decent fish in there, keep it a fishing lake, not a duck pond. If there aren't many ducks now, why would they think they would come back for the lowering of water. I don't hunt so I would think this in most cases.

That is to bad if they are going to do that. I am all for ducks, but, there are some dang nice fish in this lake as well.

The reason they would drop the lake would be to give the shoreline more area to redevelop. If they would drop it to 3 feet deep in the middle, the reeds can work there way out a little more giving additional habitat for the ducks. In my opinion, they should hire Seeman to net the lake, the best possible, and reclaim some other lake that is having issues. If they were going to do that, I would think they would do it now and use reverse aeration to kill of the "new" lake instead of more chemicals.

I am a duck hunter and a fisherman. I hate to see a "fishery" ruined at any given time, but I also like to see the state providing more habitat for the ducks.

The crappies in Cedar taste like [PoorWordUsage]. But it keeps everyone else off the main lakes.

I talked to a state represenative yesterday who was in a committee hearing dealing with the Red River Valley. He told me that according to Ducks Unlimited and the area DNR more farmers are being urged to plant winter wheat. Apparently the ducks are nesting in these fields at a rate 30 times higher than other fields. They were talking about giving farmers incentives to plant winter, rather than spring wheat.

I am by no means an expert on ducks so I dont know which type would go and hatch in a field, but when I am cutting hay for my uncle I always find nests of mallards, and teal in the fields. Maybe this could be an option for around here, instead of ruining one of the best lakes in the area.

I am assuming that the "wheat fields" are needed in the Red River Valley due to the low number of lakes. Just assuming.

This lake used to be one of the better lakes around that you could pack 20-40 boats in and still have fun hunting. The lakes around the area are getting so domesticated that I think we could use a few of these lakes around. Yes there are sloughs, but Cedar Lake is an ultimate duck lake if the right habitat is provided. It cannot be an all around and all year long ultimate fishery due to the low water, runoff, and depth.

Boy this is a tough one I guess.

I talked to a dnr officer when i was fishing out at ceder and we asked him about that...he said that they didnt drain any water, it was all natural evaporation.

The water being as low as it is currentlyhas to do with the lack of moisture last summer/fall. Belle is the same way, the sandy beach along the east shoreline is almost double what is usually is.

The drainging will occur this summer reportedly.

Hey rough dont you watch movies"if you build it they will come" just stiring the pot!!!!!!!!!

Nice!

Still wating for em to come to swan lake.............and waiting......and waiting

The water is "lower" than it is normally low.

I still think should net the lake prior to draining it or shortly after. There are plenty of lakes around that could use a percentage of those fish and I bet the fish would be happy to get out of there too. Not alot of room to breathe with only 3 -4 feet of water under the ice!

Although sad, once they drain it, it would be interesting to see how many 15-20 pound pike are in the lake.

Really, your serious that you think lowering the water did nothing to help Swan?

Carp ruin duck sloughs; sloughs need clear water to grow more vegetation which can hold and provide food for ducks. Carp root up the bottom and plants looking for food, bad for clear water.

I don't understand your logic that the DNR lowered Swan for no reason? Why on earth would they do that? More work for nothing? It is a fact that duck sloughs need low water/dry periods to kill off rough fish and stimulate growth of differnt plants.

Swan was loaded with ducks last year, it is a very important nesting area for tens of thousands of ducks every year, even if they don't stick around to be shot there. I hunted the lake before and after the drawn down/killing of fish and there was a vast difference in the number of local ducks that were around in the mid summer and early season after the carp were gone last year.

I guess I have no idea what should be done with Cedar lake, but taking a shot at something the DNR in my area did to help out one of the greatest duck sloughs/lakes in the country doesn't sit well with me.

IMO there is tons of lakes to fish on around southern MN, a very precious few duck sloughs that are open to the public and also large enough to produce alot of ducks every spring. Cedar looks like it could be a canidate to be a great duck factory like Swan.

Sometimes nature knows what it is doing, some lakes are meant to have fish, some should have ducks.

Swan does NOT have the birds it used to , killing the 'carp' had no benefit as far as I can tell . That lake will freeze out naturally about once every 4 years or so . Didn't it seem kind of odd that 'all' the carp they killed were about the same year class ??? I have hunted that lake for 51 years and I can remember seeing carp on that lake many times .Yes , as far as I can tell , BIG waste of money .

All right well it doesnt have the birds it used to when you started, i.e. 51 years ago, but it does have more birds than when I started on the lake, 3 years ago, I see the killing of carp as a benefit and everyone I talked to that hunted the lake was completly and totally impressed with the number of birds out there last year.

I've seen many changes over the last 10 years that I've hunted Cedar. 10 years ago there was many weeds in the lake. People remind me of their stories of how the bass fishing and duck hunting was so good. I think that if the lake was lowered and water control structures were put in place we could have both a great fishing lake and duck hunting lake. We both desire weeds for food/cover. When the water comes back, we both can share a better lake. We just need the carp to stay away...

Originally Posted By: Roughneck17SC
I heard last weekend that the money makers finally got their way to make Cedar into a fricken duck hunting pond. While I maybe can see their point of view that the lake "used to be a slough" I do not agree that dropping the lake 3 feet is going to magically produce ducks. In order to have "ducks on the pond" there has to be ducks. Dropping the lake is not going to bring the flyway back East to where it once was. The "pot hole" region of Minnesota has now moved (along with the flyway) to western MN and Eastern SD/ND.

This "idea" is no different that the BULL the DNR has pulled numerous times on Swan Lake by Nicollet. The lowering of the lake has not produced more ducks, it has reduced the water level so all of the ducks are located in a small area. The DNR has lowered Swan 3-4 times including 1986 when the lake was D-R-Y. Each time they lower the lake, another excuse for doing it is given by the DNR. Need duck grass, the carp/rough fish are bothering the ducks and not allowing them to feed and bothering them while on the water (talk about a load of BULL, seriously, at least give a legit excuse to the public)

I continue to see money making the decisions for the DNR and I just don't understand why they can't let mother nature run its course.

Fishing this weekend on Cedar added to the frustration level due to the fact that many, if not all, of the fish in the lake will not survive next winter. The "deep spots" are around 8ft this year with 3ft of ice leaving 5ft of liveable water. Dropping the lake 3ft this summer will kill lake.

I know I will be spending as much time this spring grapping as many big crappies out of the lake as possible. Once opener hits, I will be out to get the huge pike out of the lake.

I wonder why the DNR doesn't open the lake to "liberalized" fishing for the remainder of the ice fishing season and for that fact all summer. At least then the fish wouldn't go to waste.

Have a great day!

The rumor mills continue to churn! Any change in the management of Cedar Lake (i.e. changing the designation from fisheries to wildlife or completing a drawdown) must include a review period for the general public. The same review period happened on Swan and Christina lake.

Swan was lowered to kill rough fish, particularly carp and bullheads. The 'excuse' for these management actions has never changed; it has always been to allow freezeouts and kill the rough fish that churn up the water (clouding the lake and thus blocking out sunlight that these plants need, as well as plainly rooting up the vegetation). Despite the drawdowns there is no shortage of nesting habitat. The return of aquatic vegetation and planktivorous organisms does take time so expecting a return of ducks the next year is unrealistic. These same problems are nationwide, Swan and Christina are no exceptions.

Cedar Lake experiences partial winterkills, which may assist in the higher growth of the crappies everyone is chasing. It hasn't had a true winterkill in something like 7-8 years. Since it is connected to Belle is will probably always have fish.

Despite the yearly rumors, Cedar will not become a WMA overnight!

I have duck hunted the area all my life (and I have gray hair). These last few years have been the worst duck hunting I've seen in this area. Last year, my sons and I hunted the area 6 times. Hardly saw a duck. Hardly saw a blue bill late in the season. I haven't even seen the huge flocks of mud hens on Washington like I used to.

My son hunted the Fergus Falls area. Saw hundreds of ducks and had the best shooting he's seen. Why the DNR would waste money on something that isn't there is beyond me (if its true).

If there is a chance to try and bring the lake back to even close to what it once was, why not give it a try? I too have hunted the area all of my life and have been pleasantly surprised the last couple of years at the number of ducks I have had a chance at harvesting. Now this was not at Cedar, my point being that there are were ducks in the area, and if the habitat was improved, why wouldn't they go back to this very large productive lake?

Lets be honest, Cedar lake is is a big "duck slough", and not the most desireable fishing lake in the area, even though the fishing has been good the last couple of years. This issue will be an interesting one to follow and the decision makers will have to weigh the different viewpoints from the fisherman and duck hunters who use the lake. I for one am open to the idea of trying to bring more ducks to the area.

I have no personal knowledge of how Swan Lake has been improved since it was drained, having only hunted it years ago, but I heard from someone that does and I heard nothing but rave reviews about the number of ducks last year, even though acccess was tough, for the time being. Actions like this are not going to be immediate, to lakes such as Swan and Cedar, and anyone that thinks otherwise need to take a step back and wait for the results.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to beat a dead horse but my observation and opinion are: You could install a variable water control structure then drain Cedar and slowly bring the water level up over a 6 year period. this would give you good puddle duck shooting the first 3 years and good diver shooting and fishing the last 3 years.

Swan Lake saw some of the best shooting in a long time this year. If you doubt me contact the DNR wildlife office they have the bag check numbers to prove it. Cedar hasn't been good duck hunting for many years. Why ? too high of water. A solution does not have to be an either or proposition but can be a best of both worlds.

The problem with the ducks started to happen when people could drain ponds and then farm it.We had many more wetlands back then!We might as well start draining more lakes.There are acouple of eagles nests out there,can the DNR disturb the environment around them by lowering the lake?I wish we could help the fisherman and the hunter on this one.Well,I won't get to enjoy that lake anymore since Iam NOT a hunter!

The reason the duck hunting was so "good" this year is because when you only have all the water concentrated into one area, guess where the ducks are going to be? As a result, guess where the hunters were? Yeah, kinda like shooting fish in a barrel.

The amount of ducks leading up to the last dropping and killing of the "carp" was the same or better than last fall. The problem was, the water was high enough that is created pockets all over the lake and the hunters didn't see "results" so the hunting wasn't considered very good.

I was out on the lake that fall (scouting deer hunting spots) when the water level was actually getting to where it should be and I was amased at all the ducks that flushed when I was out and about through some of the pockets.

And no, I have not been able to find hard eveidence on Cedar being dropped...