• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pike Leaders

kywest

Yesterday I finally picked up a 9wt rod in hopes of targeting some pike and bass. I know the 9wt is a little big for bass but I figured it would work. My question is, what should I look for for leader and what flys will work? Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

brian I assume you're gonna be using a floating line with that 9? For fly selection you're looking at dahlberg divers, reynolds pike flies, clouser minnows, decievers, double bunnies, basically any streamer with a big profile. Bass will take many of those flies, but they also will take patterns like wooly buggers, poppers, crawfish patterns, and nymphs that you would fish for trout and panfish with. A word to the wise, these big flies are quite spendy (average $3-5 a fly). If you really get into the sport, fly tying may be in order ;\)

You'll need a leader with a heavy butt section to turn those big flies over. A 9' leader with up to a 12" shock tippet and 12-24" wire tippet will be good for pike. For bass a 7.5-9' tapered leader with 12-24" of 2x-5x tippet will work. If you fish a sinking/sink-tip line a 3-4' leader including tippet, will work well at getting flies deep.

Good luck! Give me a call when you want to get out sometime.

I gotta tell you, when I first posed that question, I kept hitting refresh on my browser because I saw you were on and I knew you would respond with everything I needed. Yes I will be using floating line. I have also thought a lot about trying to tie my own flys but frankly, I know less than squat about it.... maybe I should get to know someone better that is pretty darn good at this sort of thing.... Thanks for the info. I knew I could count on you.

Brian I hope the info helped. If you want I can show you some muskie/pike and bass flies that I've tied. It it pretty straight forward. They are a little more time involved than some trout flies, but for the most part are easier to tie since they are bigger flies. One of the biggest inhibitors for people to start tying is the size of many trout flies. Most people are overwhelmed by the small sizes and aren't confident that they would be able to tie them, so they don't try at all. That's not the case with pike and bass flies. Probably the hardest technique you will need to learn for those flies is how to stack and tie deer hair. I think you have more than enough deer hair to go around with all those bucks you shoot.

I'll make you an offer, once the season opens up, give me a call and I'll take you out for some bass and pike. I'll even supply the flies. I'll guarantee that you'll catch a fish. Better yet, in a month or so when the rivers start to open up, come down with me and fish for carp, buffalo, redhorse and suckers. After you hook into one of those badboys, you'll forget about those stinky pike and bass ;\)

Its not the size of the trout flies that gets me, it really just how or where to begin. I don't have any of the equipment nor do I know what i would need. I will gladly take you up on your offer. I am always game to try new fish. I would also love to see some of the flies you have for bass and pike. Again, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Brian

If you're serious about wanting to start tying, let me know, I can help you out with what you need to get started.

I am dead serious. I was running around today trying to find someone who still had left over deer hides. So now, I have around 15 deer hides coming my way..... thats a lot of flys. But yes, I am really serious about it. If you have some pointers on what I should get to get me started I would gladly take the advice. I appreciate it.

Have you tanned hides before? It might help to preserve the skins, for longevity. Make sure to keep the tails, they make great streamers like clouser minnows. If you get adventurous you can dye the furs different colors. I need to work on getting some pheasant tails dyed as well.

I'm not sure of your budget for tying, but with no wife and kids, you're probably in a better place than most people ;\) If you can spare about $200, you would be able to buy a decent vise and all the tools and materials that you would need to last you a season, including the hooks. Are you comfortable ordering materials online? If not, sportsman's warehouse and scheels in Fargo have tying supplies, but not a huge selection. Let me know if there are any particular flies that you want to tie, I'll figure on the basic bass and pike fly patterns and compile of list of things you might need to get started. I'll try and scratch the list together sometime tomorrow.

I can spare that. Right now anyway. Gotta love tax returns. I have no issues ordering online either. Thats where I get most of my stuff. As far as what flies I would like to tie, I am game to try my hand at just about anything you can throw at me. Tanning, never done it. I guess I thought I could just take pluck the hair and save it... guess I do have a lot to learn. I'd appreciate that list. Man, I gotta figure out what I can do for you to repay all your advice and help. Thanks

don't feel the need to repay me for anything, honest.

Seriously, by the end of the summer, you'll probably be swearing at me for getting you hooked on an addictive (and expensive ;\) ) sport.

Nah, I don't tend to swear at people for getting me into something like this. Maybe someday after a good day fishing, I'll take you out for a drink or supper. It would be the least I could do.

Hey Dead, I am gonna be leaving for Fargo here in the next few minutes. Was hoping to stop by one of the sporting goods stores to check out some of the fly tying stuff. If you get this in the next while, any advice would be great. Again, I appreciate all your help

I'm sure you've left by now. Sorry I haven't had time to get that list together yet. I'd take a look at the selcetions of stuff at sportsman's and scheels, but hold off on buying. You'll get a basic understanding of how much materials costs, and the kind of things to look for. I think mail order is going to be the way to go, to get the stuff that you really need.

I stopped by my girlfriends house before I went to any of the stores so I could check this. No worries on the list. I am in no hurry. Is there a particular place I should order from when the time comes? Oh and I will be going to Cabelas tomorrow so I will be able to check there too.

In case anyone else was interested in a basic starter kit for bass and pike flies:

Thread: Size 3/0, UNI (or Danville); Black, white, dark olive, dark brown, red

Wire: medium Ultra Wire, gold,

Head cement: Loon Hard Head, clear; Flexament (flexible tying cement); Hard as Nails nail polish, silver glitter.

Chenille: Black, white, dark olive, dark brown/tobacco, red

Marabou: Black, white, dark olive, dark brown/tobacco, red

Saddle hackle, strung: Black, white, olive grizzly, dark brown/tobacco/coachman, red

Krystal Flash: pearl, gold, rootbeer, peacock

Magnum Zonker strips: Black, white, red, olive

Bucktail: Black, white, dark olive, brown

SuperHair (or supreme hair): Black, white, olive, brown

Schlappen: Black, olive, white

Deer hair: natural, green, black, red, white

Craft fur: white

Silicone legs: Black, peacock, pumpkin, dark brown/tobacco,

Rainy 's Foam Popper Head/Bodies: green, black, white

Hooks:

Mustad 34007 or Tiemco 811S or Gamakatsu SL11-3H, Size 1/0-4

Gamakatsu B10S or Tiemco 8089, size 1/0-2