• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

multiple lines inland waters

anyway kids alone won't save this sport. money will. Huh? How will money save fishing? Are you talking habitat protection and angler recuitment and retention programs? and the way the economy is headed we are running out of viable ways to funnel money into our sport. Fishing is one of the cheapest activities a person can do. For $17 you can fish all year long. There are quite a few places to fish from shore so you don't need a boat. to get we have to give. most can't afford to give without a sense of some kind of return. i believe that the gas prices alone are going to force some of these benedict arnold fishermen back into this state to fish anyway. Good! More money for Minnesota's economy. Who are the throngs of anglers that fish in other states because they can use 2 lines? but not all. maybe outlying suburbs and towns and north and south out 30 miles. but inside that there will more than likely be not much change. stocking programs are already takeing huge hits and have been for years. Stocking has increased since 1993, especially walleye. Have you ever heard of the accelerated walleye program? There's no huge stockng hits. What are you talking about? plces like the croix/sippi/peppin replenish themselves, theres few places like that in the state. soon(within a few years) it's going to really begin to get noticeable that theres no fish. I have no idea what you're talking about. There are plenty of fish. In fact in many places there are too many of some species, i.e. northern pike and bluegills. If you're talking about better quality sizes then yea I agree. But adding more fishing pressure via 2 lines per person won't help that. then the old trickle down effect hits even harder. no fish even less interest. even less money. then even less fish, then.... never recover. every single way to get more in so more can go in needs to be utilized now. like i said it's not rocket science if you just look at the signs. and don't forget the businesses that will be affected by this. With a weakening economy resorts will be the businesses that will be affected. how many billions of dollars are spent on our sport? drop that to less than half. trickle trickle trickle. lol, i'm done for now.

Awesome post Black Bay. Licenses are cheap and you can go to a garage sale or thrift store and find cheap rod/reel combos for a couple of bucks. Look into the FIN program and there are a lot of places to fish with no boat (did this for a few years before I bought one). You can even buy a cheap inflatable to row out on the small lakes, did this as well. When I put how much enjoyment I get out of it, the money that it costs you on the low end are next to nothing. Now add the boat, portable, electronics, etc, then it gets spendy, but you only do that if you are way into it and have the money.

Fishing can be cheap or expensive.

You see and hear how people get into the hotspot and they're usually on a boat. What about the rest of the other people who are plain shore fishing? There are limited options for the shore fishing folks. More and more shorelines become private. There are easement programs but few weekend anglers are aware of such. When these limit shorelines gets crowded, it's really crowded.

It can be expensive if you want it to be. [PoorWordUsage] you could fish in your yard if you didn't care to catch anything!

the quote about money funneled was rewritten nicely but completly misunderstood. it's about the amount of money ''going to the sport''. not the money it costs. more money from selling another line is the point.please read original post for more on this. i challenge you to call the dnr and explain to them how much money they have. i'm not going to get into articles read and that, news, or conversations with dnr officers and officials. if you don't know they are going broke i suggest... no .. i plead that you read more about it. or talk to them.budget cuts are killing the dnr in all areas but i'm being sel''fish'' and worrying about what i enjoy. about the missing aglers going elsewhere. i've stated in another part of this thread, i know personally 50 people ''at least'' that don't fish minnesota for this reason and a few others.i refuse to believe i'm the only person who knows people who do. so i must just assume there are many more and not just around the metro. if you need writtin proof to open your eyes i cannot supply that. mabe the drr can give you better numbers in wisconsin about how many non-resident anglers they have. then check ND SD iowa, canada. if i've known these people,others are doing it too. stocking has increased. lol. again ask your dnr about their stocking budget and how many fish they can stock over all compared to other eras. their ''budget'' is not keeping up with ''cost''. the legislature may fool some with sweet talk of more walleyes but not me. donations help and i help every year. please help also.. and i agree there is fish and any statement i made about fish is future projections if there is no more money. that is, i'm devastated to say, comming very soon. if two years of stocking are missed on a lake thats two years no new fish are growing, plus fish already there don't get replenished, if they are kept that two years with no replenishment, and in the third year it takes a good three years to get them eaters, (Walleyes) unless someone likes baby walleye sticks.basicly what this lake just became was a lake for boats. in five years of continuous stocking it becomes fishable really in six years. what two missed stocking do basicly is ruin the progress made by the last 6-7 stockings.on and on. and if you really believe resorts will be the only businesses hurt by a bad economy, theres not enough time in a week to expain how uniformed you are. sorry.

how can you say fishing is cheap? with gas the way it is itwill cost me $ 100.00 boat & car and that is just to drive there & back, not counting bait plus food & drink. but then again being on a disiblty does not help either, people think it's great , you have all the time in the world to go fishing. NOT TRUE!!! other thing's come first , like bills, food Oh!!! let's not forget a roof over your head. if thing's keep going the way they are we will be paying $ 6.00 bucks a liter for gas by this time next yr. oh well just spmething to think about.

What would it hurt if they let you use 2 lines on just rivers, in the summer you can catch about anything in rivers, and you want a little more action. Depending on what you are fishing for on lakes, you probably only need one line most times.

If you fish the way I do on the Mighty Crow River, 2 lines would be a great gift. Fish catfish, and carp all summer. A little more action would be very nice, especially when throwing out bullhead chunks for cats and then wait half an hour for a bite.

A good way of getting kids into fishing more would be, to find a kid that loves to fish already and tell him/her to try to persuade their friends to try it and maybe they get hooked. I did this with my friends last summer, and they got a lot more interested, and are already talking about htis summer.

thanks for the ideas for kids. i got a few people into it (one could'nt even cast a spinning reel) too. so i guess it just brings up another good point. thank you. not just kids can help our sport. getting anybody into it will help. a few posts back i said i'm just a blue collar guy and if Al Lindner can't get 2 lines passed, then what can i do. i can do nothing alone. as of this post there is 732 hits on this thread. how many different people that really is considering multiple times read i don't know. but if everyone that reads this emails the dnr and requests it, or other public officials mabe we can change it together. i've talked to them in person downtown, emails, any officers i meet. we have to speak together or we'll never be heard. please take some time while you can't fish anyway and help. if your opposed to it that's ok too. say so. i only hope you will reconsider your stance before all heck breaks loose. i don't ice fish and making lures for the next year gets tireing, so i read, read, read alot. and what i have read these past few winters scares me. it's only one way to help but there is more. please read original post by me if you have'nt already,or you forgot what it said. the problem is money into this sport, offer more money for another line. they'd be fools to ignore it.

Originally Posted By: b1gf1sh1
the quote about money funneled was rewritten nicely but completly misunderstood. it's about the amount of money ''going to the sport''. not the money it costs. more money from selling another line is the point.please read original post for more on this. i challenge you to call the dnr and explain to them how much money they have. i'm not going to get into articles read and that, news, or conversations with dnr officers and officials. if you don't know they are going broke i suggest... no .. i plead that you read more about it. or talk to them.budget cuts are killing the dnr in all areas but i'm being sel''fish'' and worrying about what i enjoy. about the missing aglers going elsewhere. i've stated in another part of this thread, i know personally 50 people ''at least'' that don't fish minnesota for this reason and a few others.i refuse to believe i'm the only person who knows people who do. so i must just assume there are many more and not just around the metro. if you need writtin proof to open your eyes i cannot supply that. mabe the drr can give you better numbers in wisconsin about how many non-resident anglers they have. then check ND SD iowa, canada. if i've known these people,others are doing it too. stocking has increased. lol. again ask your dnr about their stocking budget and how many fish they can stock over all compared to other eras. their ''budget'' is not keeping up with ''cost''. the legislature may fool some with sweet talk of more walleyes but not me. donations help and i help every year. please help also.. and i agree there is fish and any statement i made about fish is future projections if there is no more money. that is, i'm devastated to say, comming very soon. if two years of stocking are missed on a lake thats two years no new fish are growing, plus fish already there don't get replenished, if they are kept that two years with no replenishment, and in the third year it takes a good three years to get them eaters, (Walleyes) unless someone likes baby walleye sticks.basicly what this lake just became was a lake for boats. in five years of continuous stocking it becomes fishable really in six years. what two missed stocking do basicly is ruin the progress made by the last 6-7 stockings.on and on. and if you really believe resorts will be the only businesses hurt by a bad economy, theres not enough time in a week to expain how uniformed you are. sorry.

Oh were do I start. I didn't rewrite anything of yours if that's what your saying. I quoted from the point I was responding to. If you read my post I asked how money would save fishing, and asked if you meant habitat protection and angler recruitment. I also wrote about the sport being cheap. That was in comparison to other things like having a kid play hockey, going to a Vikings/Twins game, video games... Let's be clear here and talk specifically about DNR Fisheries and not about other divisions. Budgets for each division comes from different places. For example if Parks or Trails and Waterways were getting their budgets cut doesn't mean Fisheries is. So if, as you say, allowing people to use 2 lines would add money to the DNR you really mean Fisheries since license fees go into the game and fish fund. As far as talking to DNR Fisheries, well I do that regularily. Their budget is tight and always has been. Any cuts they are talking about are only in personel, through retirement btw, and not to programs. That means just as many, if not more, fish will be stocked as always. Like I said look on the DNR site, which is revamped, and look up accelerated walleye. While your at it look up the Fin program and look at all the things they are doing to expand fishing in the cities. Then look up muskies. That program is set to expand to new lakes. So your concern about future fish populations, while noble is, unwarranted.

You know 50 people who won't fish Minnesota because thay can't use 2 lines? That doesn't seem like much of a reason to not fish here. I'm sure they have someother reason unless they are that selfish. You mention Canada. They don't allow 2 lines do they. In fact they are far more strict with there regs than we are. People go there because fishing is so good and canada wants it to stay that way. As far as the other states, other than Wisconsin, they don't have near the fishing pressure we do. Let's get back to stocking. There is no stocking budget per say. Other than under special circumstances, all stocking and hatchery costs are covered under each areas and hatchery's budget. Sometimes additional money is requested to buy fish by the Fin program, but that isn't common. As far as not stocking as many walleyes as other eras, don't fall into the trap of numbers. That is very easy to blow smoke up peoples rears with that argument. Minnesota, and other states, have found that stocking fingerlings gives the best return. Bigger fish haul better and are better able to avoid predators. Fisheries stocks walleye fingerlings by the pound not by the number. The number of fish/pound changes all the time so one year a lake is stockes with 1000 fish and the next it may be 800 but the pounds of fish could be the same. Walleye fry are stocked by numbers so it looks impressive if a lake gets 1 million fish but unfortunately fry don't do well in certain types of lakes like ones stiff with panfish. So don't just look at numbers of fish stocked. On another tread I stated if Fisheries did an honest evaluation of walleye stocking they would stop wasting fish in places where they don't work. Trust me there are places that walleyes, and other fish, are stocked that are only done because it gives people the perception that there are fish there and that makes them feel good. If those fish were allocated to other lakes and streams there we'd be better off. As far missing stocking a lake, that does happen but it's rare. I know of one lake that did miss it's stocking but that was because the private hatchery didn't stock the fish because they didn't have them. It wasn't the DNR's fault. You also make the assumption that each stocking contributes to the fishery. Not every stocking works for many reasons. The same goes for natural reproduction.

We're on the same page as far as the legislature is concerned. I trust them less than a skunk.

I'm know there will be other businesses hurt besides resorts, and motels for that matter, but they soley depend on people coming in from out of town. Other businesses will still get locals coming in. I'm sure revenue would be down but it won't be as much as the resorts/motels.

In my opinion, the whole 2 line deal is about anglers being selfish and nothing more. In this day and age our resources are being attecked in all directions. Development is running rampant and is harming if not destroying habitat. Pollution from runoff is ruining lakes. The possibility of global warming could change our lakes for generations. We're trying to do things to conserve our resources like slot limits, reduced bag limits...I could go on and on. Allowing people to use more lines is just counter active to those conservation measures. BTW the whole "well you can only keep a limit anyway" argument is bogus. A vast majority of people never catch their limit. If you don't believe me read this: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/input/issues/baglimits/baglimits.pdfPay close attention to the part that reads: "27% of the walleye harvest were taken by anglers that only harvested 1 walleye. Walleye anglers that harvested 1 or 2 fish account for over 1/2 the total harvest. Only 1% of the walleye anglers harveted their limits on a given trip, and this accounted for 17% of the harvest."

I often fish alone and so it takes a lot time to find out what is working on that particular day for the fish. Having two lines would really help the angler who fishes alone. Throw out a bobber while casting something else. And this would be good for trolling for walleyes too. Try out different depths and different colors. I think what it comes down to is that some people are ethical and some are not. The people who are going to take over their limit already do it now. With two lines, it MIGHT just get them there faster, but as others said, when the bite is on, it's all most of us can do to handle just one line. Two lines just gets the bite on faster because you can figure out what is working that day quicker.

The fact is, drastic steps must be taken to keep up the interest in fishing in this state. There are a lot of negative factors going against it right now. Worsening economy, increasing fuel prices, lack of free time, competition against other forms of entertainment, and worsening fishing in the metro area. We are raising a generation of kids who are not being exposed to fishing like in the past.

Changing the law to two lines is just one thing that needs to be done for the future of our sport.

let's just say that i disagree with your assessment on the future of fishing if more money keeps getting lost to less fishermen (i.e kids turning into adults not fishing) buying licenses and budget cuts. i tried getting across the point but somewhere it got lost. and though things may appear on the surface things are fine if you talk to the people who are'nt concerned with public oppinion of their state of affairs you can get a different picture. let's just say i have a family member very close to the happening inside that department. and at this point it's a he said she said deal. money is going to disappear, even more, and more and more. money drives the car and it also feeds the driver. i'm off this subject because like i said nothing i can do really. hopefully i can get called a crackpot in a few years but i don't think so. yeah wiyh global warming our lakes would change a bit. frozen waste lands will do that to them. most people believe someday it'll be like tropicl here but it won't. ideas differ but most scientists are leaning more toward the ocean currents not being able to carry warm water from the tropics north enough to keep it from continuous freezing. the cold melt water will push it way. so yeah 15 feet of ice is different. but probly not in our lifetime. anyway the 2 line one limit is bogus/ c'mon man that's a little harsh. granted not everyone catches their limit but thats not what one limit two lines means. assuming a limit is caught thats all that can be kept. and on top of that those same numbers you state would more than likely be true most of the time anyway. and on a hot bite two lines is impossible to manage. it just does'nt matter as long as people follow the law. anyway i said my say and i'm done.

Why do we need so much interest and participation in growing the sport in poplulation? I think there are too many fishermen now. I'm thinking that the fish and the lake would appreciate it if there were less boats and garbage on the water... I know I hate a crowded lake. I do appreciate the education about our environment, and the respect that there of, but why does everyone want to make fishing in to the worlds most populous sport????

ok one more post then thats it , read the first post. then consider the dnr,here you go black bay :D. the DNR Fisheries Department with no money. thats why. ni kidding it would sure benefit me, the waters i fish replenish themselves so money aint a problem as long as i can launch. and i already fish two lines anyway. and black bay, i really wish you can reconsider your stance on two lines being selfish. it's not a bad thing, and two lines might bring people back to mn from canada. i was talking about hhow many fish there not here that live here. thats all. just to many things to say not enough time o patience.

I love fishing in WI for this very reason....three lines allowed. It allows you to actually experiment with different presentations and search different depths at the same time. I think MN should up the minimum line law, but I also love the fact that you can troll on any water in MN, where as WI prohibits it in most waters. Every state seems to have their pros and cons. It will never be perfect unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: joeyquicksand
Why do we need so much interest and participation in growing the sport in poplulation? I think there are too many fishermen now. I'm thinking that the fish and the lake would appreciate it if there were less boats and garbage on the water... I know I hate a crowded lake. I do appreciate the education about our environment, and the respect that there of, but why does everyone want to make fishing in to the worlds most populous sport????

It's not about growing the population but keeping enough people interested in fishing and the outdoors in general. Today's kids are tomorrow's adults who will decide whether DNR gets funded, whether lake access is preserved or lakeshore is allowed to be paved over with condos, whether state parks get funded and stay open, etc, etc.

If kids are not exposed to this stuff when they are young, they are not going to be interested in it later on. Especially in the Twin Cities, kids are increasingly becoming urbanized technofreaks who never venture out of their AC house in the summertime. It's concerning. Way too many distractions these days between internet, video games, movies. A person can literally sit in their house and not run out of things to do. It was never like that before.

Originally Posted By: Queenswake

It's not about growing the population but keeping enough people interested in fishing and the outdoors in general. Today's kids are tomorrow's adults who will decide whether DNR gets funded, whether lake access is preserved or lakeshore is allowed to be paved over with condos, whether state parks get funded and stay open, etc, etc.

If kids are not exposed to this stuff when they are young, they are not going to be interested in it later on. Especially in the Twin Cities, kids are increasingly becoming urbanized technofreaks who never venture out of their AC house in the summertime. It's concerning. Way too many distractions these days between internet, video games, movies. A person can literally sit in their house and not run out of things to do. It was never like that before.

OK if 2 lines is the way to make kids interested in fishing, what do you think of only anglers under the age of 16 may fish with 2 lines?

I don't think thats the way to go, because when you fish with a kid its likely you are using 2 lines...yours and his...helping him cast/get untangled/bait/get untangled/remove the catch.

From my experience most kids have all they can handle with one line.

I had no idea you could not troll in many waters in WI. I'll take 1 line and trolling any day over no trolling. That is rediculas.

Most lakes in WI it is prohibited to troll. Some counties in WI do allow county wide motor trolling though, thankfully Polk county (on the MN border) is one of them!!

hey blackbay. i thought about this too but then i took into account that not all fishermen have scruples. dad could fish two lines and tell the kid if the game warden comes that ones yours too. this would just teach dishonesty and deceit in our sport, also can lead to low self esteem... but thats a whole 'nother subject. although i believe 99% try to do the right thing we have plenty of dishonest people who call themselves fishermen but behind closed doors break every rule they can. it's sad but true. two for all or none i think is best. besides that'd anger me if i was a kid, lol. we want to breed love for ...the department of fisheries management at the DNR. happy to see you may be getting a different picture than before. at least your considering options. tsossy, a bobber sitting with a minnow on it is hardly a major chore.

I guess I wont be fishing WI. So what? You have to be achored at all times? Isn't drifting trolling too. I just don't get that one. Might as well tie both hands and feet behind your back and try to catch them by hand or I guess it would have to be mouth! eye carumba!!!

Drifting is not trolling, the definition for trolling is in the regulation book.

This debate seems to be focused on the metro area, correct? Go North an hour or two and you will see fishing. The DNR doesn't stock anything besides walleye in some of the large popular lakes and muskies in a few areas. If people weren't so greedy and practiced selective harvest once in a while this wouldn't be an issue. Its pretty rare that an angler is truly dedicated to selective harvest, and sadly, thats how it will be forever. Anglers sit around and complain about how terrible the fishing is in the metro area and how hard it is to catch a 12" crappie, but are keeping every one of those "hard to get" crappies. It's not rocket science, let them go. If people were more dedicated to fishing ethics, than keeping fish, fishing would be much better. As far as I'm concerned, I'd be happy to let every fish go for the rest of my life and buy them at a store from a fish farm. How many tournament anglers keep their catch? Pretty close to 0%, and those are generally the best anglers around, putting a ton of money into the sport. They apreciate catch and release. I wish anglers would appreciate the sport for what it is, and not be so concerned with keeping fish. Granted its a part of it for lots of people, but it shouldn't be the main focus on every outing. Fishing isn't the same as hunting in most aspects, but, if a hunter fails to kill an animal, he can still have a great outing. Same should be for fishing, but even more so, you can have a ton of action, let them go, and have a great time. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills listening to so many people blab about how things should be and are so far off base.

2 lines in MN, sure, why not? It's not going to do jack to the actual total increase in fish per angler. Nearly every other state allows 2 lines. MN is conservative in their fishing regulations, and thats how it is. It certainly shows though, there aren't many states with the exceptional fishing that MN has, thats for sure. I think its hilarious that there are people that don't fish in MN because they can only use one line! That is outrageous, and boy are they missing out. No skin off my nose though. I would rarely ever use more than one line if it were legal, but I'm a bass fisherman. If I were catfishing, then yes, I would do it. The 2 line issue isn't very important though. A more pertinent issue would be the use of treble hooks on a tip up. It's illegal to use them without a spinner to make it a "lure", it should literally be flipped around so you can't use anything but a treble or a quick set rig, spinner or no spinner. The release rate isn't even comparable. Oh well, thats my take on the topic. Good fishin everybody.

Originally Posted By: Queenswake
 Originally Posted By: joeyquicksand

yeah, but so what... there are always going to be enough people to fund the dnr,its not like the dnr will just dissapear... all those techno-hippies will never allow that, they would give all their money to the dnr and the environment to stop their supposed global warming. They may never get out of their air conditioned flat in downtown minneapolis, but people have been fishing since day one, and the dnr wont stop getting funding all together, just maybe not the millions it gets now. Less fishing equals less lake pressure, and if those techno kids are too stupid to realize how much fun fishing is compared to the sony psp, then good, keep them off the lake. More pressure equals more idiots on the lake doing nasty nasty things to our precious lakes.

*on a side note, all you [PoorWordUsage] who left your garbage on bald eagle suck. My buddy and I picked up almost a whole dave gentz fish trap's worth of garbage walking back from the south side of the island to the launch.

... and your concerned about funding for the dnr.

first let me say thanks for cleaning up. second those millions , as mentioned before, don't all go to the fisheries department. when it comes crunch time who gets crunched. us or other departments. us. sure it would benefit you and me? if you have a boat i think you'll notice a decline in pressure. i know i'll be doing more shore fishing this year, i do anyway but i'll park the boat more. smallmouth bass stocking has been stopped completely, and the way their numbers are increased is with a closed season. september to end of season. as stockings' funds keep going down this type of fisheries management is going to increase in types of fish also. can you imagine not keeping a walleye all winter? how about not being able to spear all winter for northern or angle them. my personal feeling are ''this is great''. really i'd benefit, more fish would go free etc. etc. i hate spearing, mostly because CPR is impossible. but thats my take. i kill a fish, eaten or otherwise, i feel bad every time. but i'm not them. anyway, soon after these events mentioned lakes get closed to fishing, launches are grasslands, and any lakes opened are FULL of fishermen,and weekend warriors on their pleasure cruises. it'll be like Minnetonka, and the croix everywhere. but i like the croix. when it's busy it scares people away. less pressure more fish for me.but i'm out.

DR

I don't know about all that. With 10,000 lakes, i highly doubt that the dnr will be shutting down any lakes due to lack of funding. That wouldn't happen, and if they're worried about catch and keep limits being decreased, then they should be worried about the over fishing of a lake with the higher limits we currently have. I believe that its just the fishing companies trying to expand their biz. If there are more people that fish, then there are more people to buy fishing products, what better way to increase profits than to expand the sport... right? With fishing every friday on ESPN, and every morning fishing show, every fisherman wants to be the next fishing millionaire. I may be greedy for wanting a lake to my self, but I believe it is even more diabolical to want to expand a sport that depends on nature and its limits, as opposed the amount of people you can fit in to a stadium. Can you imagine if the only people that fished were the people that accidently stumbled upon the joys of fishing, or have been so ingrained with the fishing bug after generation and generation of fishing people in their lineage? This sport depends on what nature has given us, and much like a city, nature is devestated when too many people congregate and decimate our surroundings. We have to educate the people without overpopulating our fragile sport. Balance.

right, 10,000 lakes. but last i checked over half the fishable lakes are in the northern third of the state. with what, a tenth of total population. yes it can happen. without money it's a pretty good bet it will. money drives everything. but i said it before. i'll benefit because i fish self sustaining waters... only. but good luck on all that.