• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

5 month puppy with "happy piddle" problem

SP180

We have a 5 and 1/2 month old female springer that has a bad case of the "happy piddles". We take her out and she goes and when she comes back in the house and gets excited she piddles all over. We try to limit the stimulus when we come home, but to no success she still does it. Anyone have any idea to cure this issue?

Don't know if there really is a solution to this other than time...my last springer did it until he was well past one year old, and my 10 month old GSP still does it although not nearly as much as he did just a month or two ago.

If there is a solution, I would love to hear it.

My old basset hound did this alot. As she got older it pretty much stopped except for certain people. My dad could get her real excited when he stopped by. The only solution I had was to take her outside when the showed up and after the initial meeting she was fine.

Had a chocolate lab that dealt with this...she grew out of it at 18 months. Also i have a shorthair that excitedly does this when she greets people she doesnt know well. Shes 13 months.

I have a 4 yo Brittany that was terrible at this. I recieved him at 6 months of age and everyone told me that he would outgrow this. Sorry to say, not yet, although I will admit he is a great great dog, just the excitement of new people now gets little squirts. for us he is around daily, not a big deal. Anyone new who tries to pet him inside of 60 seconds I might as well be getting spray and towels. With any luck I don't have to clean their shoes...

Gosh, my parent's dog still does it at 3/4 years! Guess I'm just too cool and make him too happy.

My Britt did this for a while. The way we fixed it was when someone would come over we would kennel her for 5-10 min then let her out. I think it was the initial excitement of someone being there and after she got used to them there was no problem. This went on for ~a month and it was over. Hope this helps, and good luck.

You guys make me feel better - my 8 mo. springer does this from time to time.

He did a happy whizz on my co-workers shoes once....

We had a rescue lab who had this problem into her adult life. There was a pill that we gave her that really helped with the problem. Talk to your vet, they may be able to help. The pills were about $1/day.

Originally Posted By: anyfishwilldo
My Britt did this for a while. The way we fixed it was when someone would come over we would kennel her for 5-10 min then let her out. I think it was the initial excitement of someone being there and after she got used to them there was no problem. This went on for ~a month and it was over. Hope this helps, and good luck.

This is exactly the way to correct this problem from my past experience . Crating will fix many of these types of problems because most dogs won't do a bodily function where they sleep .

TD

Obedience is the key make her sit. until she calms down and then let her outside. Show her no attention if she jumps on you turn your back on her and tell her no. This worked for my male lab pup. The second i walk in the house or company is coming in i demand he sit until he calms down. Do not let anyone give her attention until she is completely calm. She will get the idea.

You must have her totally trained in sit and stay. For it to work. Samething outside if company comes over she must sit and stay until calm. My lab liked to pee on womens legs and feet before he was completely trained in obedience. It was funny as heck grin.gif Or like the other guy said you could kennel the dog every time someone comes over.

Crating your pup for long periods of time will help her to strengthen her bladder muscles. Your dog won't mess her sleeping area and will learn to hold her bladder.

Do not give her any more room in the crate then she needs to lay down. A cooler works good inside the crate to take up the extra room if you have a large crate. Then use something smaller as she grows up.

SlamNFish's idea will help too.

Tom

I think what were talking about here is excitement peeing or submissive peeing. I really believe in control of the animal which goes into another subject of pack leader control you need to establish your pack leader control over the dog.But i know every dog has different degrees of trainability.My lab pup has a love to please and learn but i feel this has alot to do with me establishing this control from the time he was a pup the easiest way to put this is look at how the pack mentality works.

A couple of books ive read are "Retriever Training back to the basics" by robert milner. and "The Labrador shooting dog"by mike gould.If you learn these methods you will have a great dog with tons of enthusiasm and you will be the leader of your pack.These books have been around along time.I believe these methods would work for any breed. Dog psychology. \:\) Somewhere i think someone wrote about using a e-collar for braking dogs from chasing birds becareful you dont create a dog that blinks birds in otherwords shys away from them when encountering the scent. Theres correct ways of breaking this behavior i can tell you if you can gain control of your dog through proper training they will not chase. Some believe it is a good thing for a young dog to chase because it creates natural birdiness i believe this also. But i cant explain it all on here. Read those books.

I have a almost 1 year old female Springer who's got the same problem, spoke to the vet and best to just ignore her when you or someone sees her..wait to acknowledge them until they calm down..it does work because mine isn't doing it nearly as much as she used to..that maybe age also I suppose.

Good point river rat i like your answer to the problem it's kinda what i was trying to say. \:\)

I gotta quit writting books when i answer. grin.gif Just short and to the point.