Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
sheephead24

coming up for the first time

sheephead24

Hi, we are getting a group together to head up to Winnie for the first time, we have been going to Red for the last 5 years, but after the crappies kind of dissapeared we want a new lake to take a yearly trip to. My first question is how big are the average perch on Winnie, and do you catch a lot of Walleyes also? And we would stay with High Banks Resort in a sleeper, how are their sleepers? and would you recommend bringing a portable to move around in the daytime? One more question, how is the northern fishing, is it worth setting out a tip up? (I know the season is closed, I mean for next year) Thanks, Shaun

bmc

I'd say the average keeper sized perch on Winnie are 9" and up. It's always worth throwing a tip up out in my opinion and smelt are my bait of choice. This year our gators averaged 3-4 lbs and we usually get one over 30" per trip. Walleyes are an early AM or evening bite. Not much of a walleye bite after dark, but the pout come out to play then. I'd definitely have the portables along to keep your options open. If you do a little homework and hole hoping you shouldn't have a problem getting a decent bucket of mixed fish. Everything I've heard about Highbanks is good, they'll set you up fine! An H20 C w/ a Winnie chip is a must, if you want to up your odds of catching fish. Tons of spots to hit!

Brian

jigglestick

everything he said except for the not much of a walleye bite after dark part.

it has been the long standing rule that they quit after dusk.

I can't count how many fish we caught from 8p.m. to 7 a.m. this winter and last.

[PoorWordUsage].

we caught a big number of our fish over 20 inches during that period and one night in particular, my son and I caught near a limit of keepers from 8:26 to 9:00 p.m.

I had one house where the guys said they didn't sleep all night because rattles kept going off.

don't give up after dark!

bmc

Sounds like next ice season, I'll have to spend a little more time after dark on the ice and less at the GDP!!! \:D

Brian

Gary Crichton

Yes there is a good night bite for eyes on Winnie, but if you find them at dusk, you won't need to stay out all night. Then YOU CAN spend more time at GDP!!!!!. This is not a bad thing either.

goggy eyes

Last year in july I fished a rock pile till midnight and was still catching walleyes.