• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

mono, why bother

fishorgolf

Originally Posted By: ocf1
Nope ralph, fluoro will stretch, but it wont go back to its original length after being stretched which makes fluoro more important to change often. Mono has the elasticity to make it feel more stretchy.

Perhaps, but mono will stretch more than fluoro. Whether or not it snaps back to it's original state has nothing to do with stretch.

Mono floats. Fluorocarbons won't. This is the most important issue I see. Superbraids also float.

I use more Superbraids then anything else. It cuts through the water well. So for jigs, crankbaits and casting things into shallow water. It's my goto line. If I'm using a float and fly I use Mono. Fluorocarbon for me is a leader.

All the above will make your lure react different. Just ask a Spoonpluger. How stiff a rod you use will also effect the action of your lure.

So, when you ask; why bother. All I can say is; sometimes the fish care.

Last year I went all Gamma line. Really liked. I put it on a few reels, then found I really liked how it performed, even when I multi-species fish. Give it a try it you have not already.

• 2 weeks later...

For me its a choice of maintaining the line on about 40 rigs that are used weekly, cost and all around basic performance and ease for inexperienced anglers to fish with. just my 2 cents. Both have pros and cons, but the mono has a broader "pros" list in my opinion--ice fishing alone is 1/2 the season all by itself. When in doubt...punt.