• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

report 3/7

uwleagle

Me and a buddy fished from 7am to 11am this morning in 35 fow. Caught 31 crappies, only 5 were over 10 inches. They were very active from 7 to 9 and really shut down after that. Most fish were caught on a gold diamond jig tipped with a spike, but the 5 nicer ones were all caught on a minnow and bobber. Also caught a few white bass and a sheaphead.

uwleagle --

Nice report, me and Sandmannd will be out Sunday morning.

I'd stop and see ya out there sunday but I will be at Lake of the Woods. Will be my first trip up there. Very excited. I'd get out on the river as early as possible. They were biting right when we started fishing and I wish I would have gotten out earlier the way they shut off at 9. All of the smaller fish were caught 2 to 4 feet off the bottom, the nicer ones were 7 or 8 feet off the bottom. Who knows what it will be like on Sunday though, the river changes so much. Good Luck

yeah I hear you changes daily, good luck up north, that should be a blast

UW what are you so excited about. Didn't you talk to Blue today? We have to cancel this weekends trip to LOW because of a family emergency.. If you want to go to the river instead I'm in! Just kidding relax. Can't wait to see you bright and early in the morning don't be late!! See you soon!!

Hey UW, did you go out where we were fishing from Prescott a while back? Was it on the WI side? Just curious. Good luck on LOW.

Hey Sandman, you mean when we were fishing from Bayport right? I was not in that spot. I havnt done so good the last few times I fished that area. I was fishing south of the where the shanty town use to be on the WI side. Hope this helps.

I gotta get to bed, we are leaving in 4 hours,haha, cant sleep, too excited.

Any one out today? Heading out Sunday looking for any pointers, thanks

Heard people were getting some nice fish mixed in with the dinks. How much ice is out that way? What's the smallest jig you can get away with without current drift?

Wed. there was about 28 inches still and I was ok with a 1/8 oz. lure but you would lose it from time to time on the vex. Good luck heading out in the morning good luck!!!!!

was out sunday, north of the kinni, was very very slow for my buddy and I. We were in 32-40 fow, when we set up in spot and put marcum down bottom 5 feet were stacked. We pulled one crappie right away, and another shortly after. Screen stayed full down there most of the time but no other takers. I wish we would have brought the camera. tried everything in the tackle assortment, nothing turned them on. Oh well, the beer tasted really good, so thats a bonus right?

Wife and went and tried again from 7-10am over on WI side along with others there, and only caught one lil crappie!! I give up on this river fishing, I just cant catch any out there, or not using right lures!! am not sure what the deal is, was in 37 fow and seen a few come by, but nothing special. anyone else do any good Sunday out there??

It was slow this morning. Caught one right away about 7:00. then proceded to loose 4 in a row. By 9:00 it was over.

Did better last night from 2-5:00.

Slow this morning. We had bites from 7 am till about 11 and we left at noon. Managed a few fish on the ice and kept 3 between three of us. Not a bad day, still better than going to work.

I'm with the Sandman, we caught one right when we got there then a few others until around 10-11. It was really odd bite, some where really light biters and you would pull to early then others would pound it and your bobber is six inches down you try to set the hook and nothing. And the rest got away do to lack of attention, you would turn around the bobber goes down and you reach and nothing. Hoping the warm temps kick them up a bit. The picture in my avatar was from last Sunday and this Sunday was nothing close. Good luck out there, any one heading out Tuesday night? Hoping one last shot as I will be up north for the weekend. All in all it was not a bad day on the ice, I did get 5 guy out with me had a BBQ introduced a new person to the great sport of ice fishing and had some good laughs. And O yeah I did ice three decent crappies. Good luck out there!

I'll be heading out for the 1st time Ice fishing on the croix either later today or tomorrow. About how far north (once I get on the main river) should I fish driving out of Bayport??

Thanks much.....

I go out of bayport marina and head straight accross to the WI side. There is a road, just follow it and it goes a little north. Then you will see where the shanty town was. We were fishing right at the edge of it in about 30-36 fow.

I'll be getting out about 3:30 on Tues afternoon out there by ye'ole shanty town. Black suburban and an X2 though I don't know if I'll set'er up since the temps are gonna be hot. I'd like to meet some of you fellow FMers. If not tomorrow, maybe at the get together being planned for this Sat if it's still on.

Get together is still on, but it's Sunday Morning. Unless we loose a ton of ice, but we should be fine.

I have a Black GMC Sierra Ext Cab, if ya see me out there, say hi...

Whent out this morning but had a late start, caught 2 10-11" ers and played tag with the small crapps. not great but better than work, didn't feel like workin anyways. fished under the power lines. What were those loud air types releases from the power plant? HTB

I've been ice fishing for many, many years, but only on lakes. However, over the weekend of March 8th - 9th 2008 - was my first time on the frozen St. Croix River and man - I was nervous and excited both at the same time. A few buddies and I were on the Croix by Bayport in 40 feet of water around 7 a.m. and we each took 8 GIANT Crappies 13 plus inches weighing more than a 1 lb each! I was absolutey surprised! Not as big as the crappies I have caught on Upper Red Lake, but for a 20 minute drive from Saint Paul - I'm not complaining. On top of the crappies - I caught a skinny 30 inch Sturgeon and one of my buddy caught a huge 21 1/2 inch Smallmouth Bass! It was unbelievable - I'm going back there again, but it's the river so I know the bite is always changing. Anyways...overall - I want some White Bass action - anybody know where these fishes are during this cold, winter time of the year on the Croix?

Welcome to the St. Croix 2izm. It's a great fishery and very close to home. If you are interested we are doing a get together out of bayport on Sunday. Take a looke at the get together forum for more details. Hope you keep fishing it and good luck on the White Bass. Kingfisher pulled a small one out yesterday when he was with me.

Headong out this afternoon`(Tuesday) any one with an ice report, sund day iy looked good but I know its going to go fast with the warm weather,Good luck out there every one, and for those of you who might be out Black Tahoe and purple otter shack. Good luck

Wow, 16 giant crappies and a couple bonus fish, what a day! Can't beat catching giant crappies, taking some good pictures, and letting them go.

HTB-the loud air you heard was the power plant releasing steam. They had an explosion there early monday morning again and I suspect that their steam boiler was not working properly. If it builds to much steam it releases the excess pressure and causes the sound you were hearing. I was out Sunday afternoon and managed to catch two crappies. Lots of lookers as usual, but tough to convince them to bite. I am heading out there today around 3:00.

Can you guys keep me posted on the ice conditions. We wanna do a get together out there on Sunday so I wanna make sure it's safe enough.