• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stay overnight anymore?

Smellson

Just re-read the regs and it appears that you can no longer stay overnight on the lake. Am I reading it correctly, even if I am in the house I have to have the house off by midnight?

Thanks

yep-One of those weird MN laws. You can sleep on shore. The answer as to why that I got from the DNR is that it has allways been that way. Not much of an answer, I know. But what choice do we have but to live with it.

Yep - south of the line you can't sleep on the lake. North of the line you can until next saturday i beleive.

lame law! If the house is occupied you should be good to go...just another bird brain law like liquor stores closing by 10pm and not being open on Sunday

Well there's that law and then the law that it's illegal to cross to WI with a chicken on your head or something like that. Some laws need to change. If we have good ice, you should be able to sleep out there, just not leave it out if it's unoccupied.

i have seen some people that have stopped fishing at midnight and jacked up the wheelhouse and just "camped" on the ice until legal fishing hours in the morning. then they lowered the house and fished from the house again. i don't know if that is legal, but i have not seen any law that said you can't "camp" on the lake when it is covered with ice..............tom fellegy

There is a fine line waiting to be crossed.Did they pull the house close to shore or stay where they were fishing.

Originally Posted By: tom fellegy
i have seen some people that have stopped fishing at midnight and jacked up the wheelhouse and just "camped" on the ice until legal fishing hours in the morning.

this from the fishing regs

"Note: After the date when dark houses, fish houses or shelters

must be removed, shelters may be placed on the ice and used from one hour before sunrise to midnight".

jacking it up and staying in it is a violation. sleeping in it on the ice, after the removal date, is using it. i was told that by the DNR office in St. Paul..

i also got into a brief 'discussion' with the person and they told me it would take legislation to alter the removal date.