• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy River

Heading to the Rainy for the the first time this spring.

Wondering if it makes sense "time wise" to cross the border each day and launch from the Canada side to avoid the lines and congestion at the Minnesota accesses?

You would need a remote border pass to cross between us and ontario in the boat.I dont know were you would launch on the canadian side though. I dont think that it gets to congested if you go during the week and get there early enough.LOL.

I just wanted to say that it would make very little sense to cross the border everyday to launch your boat on the canadian side. The line crossing the border would usually take a lot longer to wait in than it would to use a landing. Plus you would have so much hassle crossing everyday and may even get pulled over and inspected. So in the end i would say that it would be less time consuming to use the american side. Besides if you were going to be running back and forth from the american side to the canadian side on the water you would need a border crossing permit unless you would just stay on the canadian waters.

Thanks for the info on the remote access border pass. Is the Canadian water then less crowded and just as good to fish as the American side or not? I would assume then if your coming from the American side you can only have frozen minnows or artificials in the boat too.

Yes, the canadian side has awsome results as well. The only thing is that you would have to buy a license for canada as well if you were going to fish their side. You are also correct about not carrying any live bait across in the boat. They also have different possession limits than the american side along with slot sizes. I believe it is only one walleye a day for the canadian side and depending which license you purchase its 10-15 crappies a day, not sure on northerns. Along with the purchase of a border crossing permit for everyone in the boat and just the hinderance of calling it in everytime you cross back and forth.

Just get to the river EARLY in the morning and have a little patience at the ramps. Things aren't going work right and people are a little rusty at loading boats. Everything is icy so maybe bring a little salt. Last year I saw a guy jacknife his $50,000 dollar Ranger and pickup backing down the ramp. Good luck and I'll see you out there!!!!!

We get a remote border pass and a Canadian license.When the Canadian DNR is out the Canadian side of the river is wide open , so less congestion.Plus,my better spots are on that side. We don't use any bait though. Just plastics. You will want to check the web sites for ice conditions and water clarity so you wont waste your time. If the river gets too brown the fishing dies.It is true that the earlier at the launch the better.

The limit is two on the Canadian side under 20". You don't have to call every time you cross into Canada.Just make sure if you are in Canada you have the right forms it is a 1000.00 fine if you don't have a pass.

Not much for access on the Canada side anyway. I used to go over and use the Pinewood access, but the water has been so low for so long that I gave up on it. No way to get a big boat in there.

I always like to have the option of fishing the whole river. I get the remote border pass and the ontario fishing license. It'll cost you about 50 bucks. If you get on the stick, you can get it done over the internet and not have to worry about crossing the border. Honestly tho, it would be kind of risky now as it might not arrive in time if you plan on fishing early April.

Be really careful with the whole bait thing. You can use live bait on the Canada side, but you have to have a "bait receipt" proving that you bought it in Canada. Since they only seem to have "crappie minnows" over there...well, lets just say that whole thing is rediculous. I buy some bigger "meat" minnows back home. Pour a coke or Dr. Pepper on them, and that will finish them off fast. Once they're dead, you're good to go in Canada.

Also have had some good success on plastics and power bait. Don't always need the minnows, but it's nice to have the option.

Good luck,

Hi folks

would like to know where to launch a boat for the upcomeing ice out on the river. And are the line as long as everyone says they are? And any good tips on where a good place to go and what to use would be greatly appreciated. I know not going to give out a hot spot. Not looking for the honeyhole just some good advice on where to start and what to try. I am a catch and release fisherman. Everyone seems to be really helpful on these forums. Thnaks in advance.

Not sure what size your boat is, but the Birchdale ramp is generally the first one everyone uses. Farther up the river toward I. Falls, you can try the Pelland ramp if you're really chomping at the bit. Below Birchdale is the Frontier ramp, which usually opens within a few days after Birchdale. Then down farther yet is the Vidas/Clementson ramp.

I don't find the lines bothersome or bad at all, but to a certain degree, there's some tricks to timing. Everyone is cheerful and in a good mood...glad to be in the boat again. Folks are generally really helpful at the landing. Stick out your thumb and hitch a ride to get from your truck to the river after you park, or from the river to your truck when you're done fishing. Give everyone a ride that you can...this makes the whole thing go faster and smoother, and improves everyones attitude greatly!

I like to use fireball jigs with stinger hooks. Light colors work well for me. Chartreuse/pink/orange/yellow. I also tip with 3-4" minnows, or power bait. I like to work 8-12 foot flats with some small rock rubble, but sometimes I also find them deeper in the river channel. Some guys like to vertical jig alot...I personally don't, but like to cast out and get my bait away from the boat...it works alot better for me.

I base my technique on the current, the clarity, and the fish's attitude. Light current, I'll use a 1/4 oz. jig, and move up from there. If the fish are snapping, I'll cast cross current and hop it back to the boat, making sure to keep in contact with the bottom. When the water gets cloudier, or if the fish are not as active, you may need to slow down significantly. A couple of tactics that work are to point your bow up current, and use your trolling motor to "slip drift". The other is to pull yourself slowly upstream with your electric, and drag your jig along, or "long line" behind the boat. This tactic is deadly for big fish. Imagine that jig right off the bottom, moving upstream at a snails pace, and then it goes right past the head of one of those big ole girls. All she has to do is inhale, and believe me, you'll know it when it happens!

Another really important thing. These fish are migrating, and are moving in schools. If you drift for awhile and have a good run that peters out, run back up and drift through there again to see if you can duplicate. Also, these schools of fish are often size specific...so the year classes often run together. If you get into some big fish, keep duplicating until they move on/milk it for all you can.

Good luck,

Bak2

3 landing on the MN side Birchdale farhtest from Baudette Frontier most popular and Vidas closest to Baudette. All depends on size of boat you will be fishing in. Birchdale will be first to open for small boats and then bigger boats as shore ice melts. Yes the lines can be very long must have patients for this will be first trip of year for many. look for 15 to 20 feet of water and make sure to stay on MN side of river canada dnr will be watching their half of river and I have seen some very sad fisherman after canada hands them a little piece of paper with a big number on it($). The best thing is to have different color jigs and different sizes. 1\4 and 3\8 ounce Rainbow chubs usually work very well. Good luck and hope it opens soon having anxiety attacks.

I Have a 17 foot starcraft with 150 merc. I there a map for these locations of ramps to use or can anyone let me know where they are at. Thanks again for all the help. Cant wait for open water.

For the guys asking Canadian regs.- download them and read them!

Don't take anyones well-meant advice as fact as I see incorrect info above that could cost you LOTS of $'s!

Where to launch is related to how far the river is open. The farthest down stream is usually the busiest. Birchdale is first, Frontier, Vidas, Timbermill Park, and Baudette Bay if it gets that far.

Birchdale and Frontier can be nuts depending on the year and conditions. Just be patient and don't hesitate to give the other guys a hand if needed and check your gear before you get there. A busy ramp is not the place to do maintenance on your boat.

We always try to stop and give walkers a lift on the boat running boards as it beats walking the 2 or 3 miles we sometimes must for parking.

Seems like Marilyn never walks as far as I have to. Go figure.

Holes are good starting spots for fish but have gotten into incredible bites on 12' flats. Look for boats. They are not there for the scenery.

Most of all, be carefull! Water temps in the 30's means minutes to survive in it.

have not been there in about 13 years my best spot was a little west of pinewood church. got a 30in and 32in that year there. pink 1/4 oz jig worked the best

I have fished out Pelland when the river doesn't want to open to the west in time and had decent luck there. Water can be real shallow up there. Its a decent spot to fish if the river isn't open. There is an old number 8 mile marker on the candian side about 2 miles from the landing, it gets deep there and the fish seem to hold there.

Vidas is my favorie area to fish if the river is open that far. I like to look for uneven bottom, looks like waves on the locator. Other wise I try to look for current breaks around bends and try to stay away from crowds of boats if the water is clear.

Birchdale is a great spot to fish and I look for alot of the same as at Vidas.

The river broke about 4 miles in the last couple of days. now about 14 miles from Birchdale. Im hoping the river opens to Birchdale by the 28th cause thats when Im planning my trip.

Current is faster and water higher this year and guessing im going to have to stock up on 1/2oz jigs this year.

I have never liked fishing in crowds, but the crowds at the river are fun and have always enjoyed the locals and the crowds on the river. Everyone seems to help everyone, which makes it easy, and fishing reports are easy to come by!!!1

Hopefully the water stays clear long enough to get in some good fishing.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I have my fathe inlaw talked into going he dont get out ever any more so should be a good time. Clementson resort does an awesome job on the updated ice conditions. Hopefully we can get rooms there or at the Royal Dutchman repay for all the help.

tim were did you get you ontario lic at? do you know of a place to get one once we are up there? already have my canpass did that by mail but didnt figure i would have time to get my fishing lic by mail.

is the pelland area more restricting to the size of boat ? last time i was there we fished out of clementson in an 18 foot deck boat with no trouble . now i am hoping to get there this year but i now have a 20 foot big rig.

bowhuntz,

You'll have to cross the border when you get up there, and drive down the main drag in Rainy River. Look for the Shell station on your right about half way through town...to my knowledge, it's the only place that sells fishing licenses in town.

Where can you get a remote border pass? Do you have to get it right from customs?

You can get your remote border pass at the border/canadian customs.

Originally Posted By: vexilarkid
Where can you get a remote border pass? Do you have to get it right from customs?

When you pull up to Canadian customs for questioning, tell them you're going to be picking up an RABC. They will give you a slip of paper and tell you to pull over and come inside. It shouldn't take more than 15-30 min. if it's not busy.