• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Under Attack!

Random guy

Today as I was cruising along a lake road I thought the truck was about to blow apart as some god awful sound came from nowhere. About the time I hit the key and was getting ready to bail one of the fighters came ripping directly over me from behind REAL low then seconds later another one came even lower from another angle. I didn't know if I should hide, run, cry or just face it. As many times as we see those wicked machines flying over you just can't get over the fear it puts in a guy when all of a sudden a plane rips overhead, freaks me out every time.

I figure they where just trying to get a lock on Ol Shaky Legs, trouble always just seems to follow that guy. grin.gif

its even more exciting when your cruising down a mountain pass in Colorado or in wide open in North Dakota when air force guys are playing go fast and scare a target for practice

Had to be wild feeling like a target eh

That is definatly a cool site to see or as many times hear.....as you look up and they are already gone but you can still hear them!!!

I just commented last time I was up how I hadn't seen them this year... God I love watching those birds fly!!! Makes you glad they're on our side!

Good Luck!

Ken

I was up the 3rd-6th of Jan and on the 4th or 5th we had 2 flying around the lake for awhile chasing each other...that was neat you would hear one spot it and then look behind and here comes another doing half rolls shooting straight in the air then about 5 minutes later they would appear shooting from the north heading south.....I had seen them before up there but never doing tricks or for that amount of time!!

I was trying to get close to some Pronghorns on some flat land in Wyoming once when a B-1 bomber came over right on the deck. Those things are made to follow terrain, and boy, does it work. Almost needed a change of shorts. Screwed up a good stalk.

ya that is awesome when those babys come by.we were working in duluth by the base there and man you gotta wear ear plugs most of the day.

The first guy was LOW!!!!! I thought I was tearing splines out of something before the sound hit. From that angle he must have come right over "shakeys" house. "Would you like that drink shaken or stirred sir." grin.gif

last year we had one come in really low, my stepfather was bailing out of the shack faster than I'd ever seen him move, he was scared witless. I always wondered how those things could bomb someone as they are so loud, well it didn't take long to figure out that a guy would be in about a million pieces and pushing up daisies because by the time you hear them...they're long gone.

Buck

When that first one came upon me today I thoght something had happen to the truck. I was like what the heck and as I open the door I relized he went right over me and I never saw him. They sure are a rush to see. He actuly gave me a scare

Thats funny...

Them fly boys are probably back at base checking the forum to see how many people had to do laundry tonight... grin.gif

I wonder if I can talk them into blowing a BIG hole in the ice so I can get the boat out.

Just think of the road making cababilities they have!

Maybe get them to lock onto some of the nasty pressure ridges. \:D

We used to bowhunt up by Talmoon, MN and I would get a kick out of watching the fighter jets doing maneuvers, while I was ont the bowstand. Last June my family and I were headed home from the Black Hills and saw a bunch of jets and some bigger planes, possibly a Stealth bomber heading towards Ellsworth AFB, just east of the Hills? That was awesome!!! Sure makes you happy you're not a bad guy that they're after don't it!!!

Brian

You sure they weren't just flying that low to check lines? Make sure you only had two down? Maybe they had a DNR guy with.

Originally Posted By: bmc
Last June my family and I were headed home from the Black Hills and saw a bunch of jets and some bigger planes, possibly a Stealth bomber heading towards Ellsworth AFB, just east of the Hills?

Brian

Very well could be Stealth bombers or B1-B bombers, I used to be stationed at Ellsworth and they get an assortment of birds coming in. I tell you one thing if a B1-B came over it would raise heck with just about inch of ice on that lake. Those are some nasty birds.

b1bot4.jpg

I fly fish tarpon in Fl Keys and had a really big school coming right at us, as I started my back cast, two fighters went super sonic right above us, and the tarpons freaked out...it was cool to see, but no fish out of that pod.

Kind of nice to know they are on our side, eh Jon?

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
You sure they weren't just flying that low to check lines? Make sure you only had two down? Maybe they had a DNR guy with.

no wonder they want to raise the price on our licenses... ;\)

Buck

I was fishing in the Keys . and had just made a cast. when two jets came over not more than 100 ft off the water going super-sonic and the boom was timed perfect with the lure hitting the water. you should have seen the reaction of the guy I was fishing with. priceless he was on the floor of the boat screaming like a little girl and he started to cry. so if you run into a bartender in south Florida named Dave Olson ask him if he wants to go flat's fishing.and just sit back and watch the tears start flowing

Couple years ago a buddy and I were golfing in Poplar. We didn't realize they had a special event thing going on for Richard Bong. Well, just has my buddy goes to tee off a bomber goes blasting across the green just above tree top level. He went one, the club went another way and never did figure out where the ball went lol

A buddy of mine does 1 weekend a month at the AFB in Duluth. Want me to put in any requests with him to give to the pilots? Maybe use those guys that "encroach" on your houses for target practice or maybe just a low fly by would do it? LOL In my line of work, we've talked about having the pilots do an "accidental bomb drop" on a couple problem areas in our patrol area. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, wishful thinking!!! \:D

Brian

I thought maybe you called a strategic air strike on our coordinates but since I didn't see any napalm cannisters raining down from the sky I figured we were safe - "friendly fire"??? Anyway there would have been some collateral damage on Scott Z and the Lab Shack. On another note: Doc and I are concerned about your nutritional diet. We are cooking you a well balanced lunch next time. Thanks for the mayfly larva I raised a couple from the bottom but they were "Thangs"!! Thanks for taking care of us.

I know you have connections but the USAF????? Even though you had our coordinates I figured we hadn't been there long enough to P--- you off!!!

We just figured it was time to get you to guffs out of bed, thats all. \:D

The air strike was apparently strategic enough to knock out back-up power and render D and D ranch inoperable. No TV (no Girl's Gone Wild for poor Dick) and only 12V lighting :o...my guess is that they were both sacked up on their bunks in the fetal position sucking their thumbs. It took a call back to home base and the younger generation to provide a solution to their problems and get back to chasing the elusive google eye.

I got buzzed a few years ago while pheasant hunting out near Pierre, SD. We were working our way up to a ridge and as we hit the top of the hill, so did a pair of f-16s. They were close enough for us to see the grins on the pilot’s faces as they shot over the top of us. they came back around and did an even lower flyby of us before going straight vertical over the top of us....That jet exhaust is HOT!!!

"That jet exhaust is HOT!!!"

Think of the roads they could make us across the lake. Could be a little tough on anyone fishing in the way tho. grin.gif

Heck Kelly, You could just give them the coordinates for yours and Buddy's roads. Just think of how much money and time you would save if you didn't have to plow and repair broken-down rigs. I bet Flying Angels could make a 12 lane road straight West but you would have to keep Buddy away from the slush piles.