• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Evergreen Lake Fishng Reports

Hey guys and gals jsut wondering if anyone has any info on Evergreen lake in the schoolcraft reserve. I've checked out the DNR web page to check out the net checks and all but was wondering if anyone has fished it, and what to expect. Don't need any specific spots, jsut what the fishing is like.

I'm looking at renting a cabin on the lake and looking for any knowledge that anyone would like to share.

Thanks in advance for any info. cool

You will primarily catch 12" - 18" northerns, bluegills, crappies, sunnies, & an occasional walleye pretty much in that order but you may have figured that out by looking at the dnr site. What prompted you to rent on the lake?

It's no real secret but I would start by fishing out by that point. If you like Rock Bass you may be in for a treat \:\) I caught perch mostly but I know there are other species as well.

We were actually looking at a sight for Leech lake and one of the resorts has a cabin on Evergreen that they rent out. It was secluded as far as what the website said so we decided to give it a try. THe price was right and we are always looking for a new place to try for ice fishing, the three guys and our wives are going to try it out this spring and see if it's worth while to go back for ice fishing as the cabin is rented out year round.

Are there any size to the bluegills and crappies? HOw about the perch?

The bluegills are plentiful about the size of your hand or smaller. I have caught some crappies that were nice sized but not as many of them. Most of the perch that I have caught have been smaller than I would consider keeping. Forgot to mention there are a few smallies and large mouth too. I haven't done any ice fishing on the lake just summer. Are you bringing a boat or using the one provided?

We're just going to use the one provided being the access according to the owner isn't real great. Is this true, or should I bring my own boat? I've got a 16.5' Fishhawk, with a 40h.p. motor.

True, landing is not very good that is why I asked. Small fishing boats can be launched easily but larger boats can be difficult. I would say your boat is borderline might be a bit difficult but could be done. Depending when you are planning on going if the water is high with the spring run off could be a little easier.???

Thanks for all your help bowhunter, much apprecciated cool.gif

If your ever in the Alexandria area make sure to make a post, I surely would buy you a beverage, as well as try to point you in the right direction of the bite \:\)

• 1 year later...

my grandparents had a cabin on evergreen and nobody could figure out the walleyes. FISH IT AT NIGHT!!! from end of May to End of June, troll a tennessee shad husky jerk in about 10-14 fow. go extremely slow, .6, .7mph and twitch that bait long lined.... that water is so clear that the night time is key. Im only giving this info up because we dont have the cabin up there anymore, good luck!!! I averaged about 5 walleyes an outing, caught them up to 7 pounds

we have unloaded large boats in there before, yea theres no dock but did it ever hurt anyone to get there feet wet

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.