Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luckyguy

Water levels this spring?

25 posts in this topic

Hola to everyone from sunny Mexico.

My wife and I are starting to think about returning to Minnesota after spending the last few months in Mexico. We were wondering how much moisture you guys got over the winter. Was there enough snow to help raise the level of the lakes?

Following the other posts, it seems that you have left a few fish in the lakes for us summer folks this winter. Take care everyone, and stay safe as the ice begins to leave us.

CYA soon!

Hey Luckyguy, where about's in Mexico are you? I'll be coming down to soak up some of those rays in 2 weeks, heading to Cancun 7 fun filled days. Dos cervesa por favor? Gracias Amigo/Seniorita. Baniol? Just brushing up a few of the necessary lines....starting to get excited. Sorry about that.

Anyway, not much snow on the lakes. You can pretty much drive across any lake with a 4 wheel drive truck without the need for a plowed road. Hoping for a couple feet of snow while I'm down in Mexico to bring the lakes back up. We did get quite a bit of rain last fall, but by my judging we were still around 9 inches low when the ice went over.

Adios!

Hi Batter,

We are on the Pacific side of Mexico in Mazatlan. The temp. during the day has been 84/85 degrees every day for the past couple of weeks, and the temp. of the cerveza is about 34 degrees.

Let's hope for some more snow, and also for good rains this spring to fill up the lakes in the area.

Good luck on fishing, and travel safe.

Quit it right now! My beer is at around 35! Oh, and the temp was 51 today! crazy.gif

Good to hear you guys are having some warmer weather. I see it is around freezing today. Are you starting to see any signs of the ice failing yet, or is it all still OK? We had a couple of clouds down here in Mazatlan yesterday. The locals were all putting on their coats.

Lucky guy,

We've still got all kinds of ice, I was out last Saturday on lake Bergen and we had 40-41" of ice. It's going to take awhile for all that to disappear cry.gif I'm normally getting excited for late ice Crappies by now. It's goign to be at least a week or two before that happens too mad.gif

Alex1 You hit it on the head. I usually am gearing up for honeycomb ice and late season crappies but its going to be awhile yet before well be doing any of that and even longer before ice is out. Its sad but what can you do.

I figure that I'll be Turkey hunting when the crappie fishing starts getting really good. I hope it doesn't take that long, but like you said waht can we do. confused.gif

Thats probably true

Guy's think positive. A few warm nights and a little rain will go a long way towards ice out.

I hope your right Wayne, I look forward to black ice crappies every year grin.gif It really jsut doesn't get much better than that. Except for maybe open water fishing

Its funny becuase anyone you ask that fishes in big bass tournaments or big walleye tournaments always get the itch for crappies in the spring. Everyone takes time to fish for the slabs. Its Great.

Guilty. Love first open water crappie fishing. #1 been itching to get winter over and move into spring and early crappie fishing is, for me, a great sign of summer is coming. #2 great time to make sure everything on the boat made it through winter storage. #3 Hopefully catching some nice fish and a great way to have fun with young kids.

You guys have actually got me thinking about packing up and heading home from sunny Mazatlan.... On second thought, I may just pack up a couple of cervezas and go down to the beach and surf fish for awhile.

See you all in a few weeks!

Hola again from Mazatlan,

I saw that parts of Minnesota got a lot of snow yesterday. Did the Alexandria area get much? Does it look like the lake levels should recover at least a little bit from last year?

Take care on the spring ice, and fry up a couple of those crappies for me. Don't forget the cold beer!!

Juan (John)

LUCKY,

HEY RIGHT IN ALEX WE DIDN'T GET MUCH (MAYBE 2-3"), BUT THE FURTHER NORTH FROM ALEX YOU GO THE MORE THEY GOT. LAKE IDA AREA,BRANDON, EVANSVILLE, THAT AREA GOT AROUND 6+". THE SNOWS WE'VE GOTTEN LATELY HAS BEEN REALLY WET AND IT'S GOING TO HELP FOR SURE WITH THE LAKE LEVELS.

Alex1 Said it

Boy this snow last night and what's still coming is going to make a difference on the lake levels. \:\) I wonder what it's going to do to the ice underneath confused.gif

I'm assuming this weight is gong to make some of the thinner areas start bowing. Any other thoughts?

Open water about May 13th give or take a couple of days.

How much snow did the Alex area get between yesterday and today?

About 8" of some of the heaviest wet snow in awhile.

We got a little over a foot of heavy wet white wonderful snow! Will certainly add weight and water to the ice cover on the lakes. Forecast calls for mid 50's by tuesday, possible 70 by the end of next week? melt and runoff should help the lake levels a bit.

I'm glad to hear that...we need all the moisture we can get. So what's everybody's guess on the ice out in Alexandria?

4/30/08 3:30 p.m.

its alittle wierd with the snow too its heavy so the egdes of the lake are going away from shore but then the ice out in the middle of the lake was still thick. We almost got are auger stuck a few times. I think the "gap" is going to be pretty close. The ice is defiantly getting softer the water is coming up through it. We need some warm days ( like this week) south wind and some rain to really bite in to the ice.