Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dmc

2000 ford f150

18 posts in this topic

I'm looking at buying a 2000 ford f150 with 162000 miles. The asking price is $5000. It's a 4x4 and appears to be in very good shape. I didn't see any rust, no major dings, and the interior is nice. I have never owned a Ford. I would like to hear from anyone who has an opinion on this truck. Thank you. Dave

P.S. It's at a dealership.

I love my 03 F150. I bought it with 30,000 miles though. 163,000 is getting up there. Do you do most of your own work on vehicles? I guess I would make sure the 4X4 works and the engine is in good running order.

Farley: Unfortunately I don't do my own work. The truck would be for my nephew who has some friends with mechanical knowledge. Thanks for the reply. Dave

A used vehicle is only as good as the previous owner kept it! If it was kept up with good maint. you should be able to get alot more miles out of it. If it wasnt maint very well, then I wouldnt buy it. See if the dealership will let you bring it to a different shop to have it inspected, it may cost you $30, but it would be a good investment.

All right here you go I just traded my 2000 f 150 in on a 08 250 so I love Fords, any way I had 210,000 miles on mine, And my best freind owns a repair shop and maintains 100 fleet trucks some are Fords some are Chevys, Common problems are head gaskets mine went at 100,000 thousand or so, they also like to spit out spark plugs witch leves you with two choices when this happnes replace the head or my friend has masterd the art of helicoil the head(not sure how that word is spelled) with great succes and its a big pain to do but a lot cheaper then replacing the head,and the blocks can rust out pretty good witch isn't that big of a problem but the coolant with always be nasty looking, So basicaly ask if the head gaskets have been replaced and if its ever had spark plug issues, and check to see what the coolent looks like. And mine was still running like a champ when I traded it in and I towed a lot with mine too. GOOD LUCK hope this helped

Definitely get a prepurchase inspection. Although they will not be able to foresee any future problems at least they will be able to inform you about the current problems. Nothing worse than buying a used vehicle and then getting a $1200 estimate for a bunch of items that where neglected by the previous owner. Depending on what part of the state you are in $20 to $90 could be expected.

Im still driving my 2000 ford f150. I bought it new and it now has 233350 miles on it. I have had no major engine or tranny problems at all. I did however do some of the recommended maintenance to it which sometimes seems like a rip off, but I have never been broke down or stranded. I have replaced the ball joints and tie rods which is one thing you should look into or ask about. This is a problem that all of the ford trucks have had. engine is the 5.4 triton. $5000 is fair price.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input! I plan to test drive it and if I like it I will try to get it in somewhere to get it inspected. Even if it costs me $100 to get it inspected it would be better than buying it without knowing anything and having fairly immediate and potentially expensive problems.

If it has been maintained by a Ford dealershjip like mine has been, they will have records in their computer of everything that has been done to it.

Thanks for the tips! I brought it in to a different place to have it inspected and the repairs needed would have been over $1,000. The front end was completely shot and the 4 wheel drive(which wasn't on the estimate) clunked loudly when going from 4high to 4low. The inspection cost me $50. Well worth it. I guess I'll look elsewhere for a truck. I really wanted a small 4 wheel drive truck, but they seem to be hard to come by. Thanks again, Dave

Just a thought (the dealership shall remain nameless) I would think that the dealership would know about some of the things that were wrong with the truck. While I'm sure they don't do an exhaustive inspection, they should pick up on a front end that is totally shot,,,,, wouldn't you think? Don't they take the time to look at the truck when it is being traded in since they are giving money for the truck? I personally think they were just trying to get the truck out the door and didn't really care about the customer, that being me. While I don't think this is a reflection on Ford,, it certainly reflects poorly on the dealership! Any opinions? If this were you, would you do business with this dealership again? Dave

As far as the tranny clunking loudly when shifting from 4 hi to 4 lo...... NEVER.... do that. always come to complete stop... shift the transfer into neutral then to 4 lo and vise-versa

You have to be in neutral to shift to 4 LOW -only way she will go into it.

Typical dealership. Just out to make a buck!

Check craigslist. If you feel uneasy, get it inspected like you have done to that one. Craigslist has some great deals.

Oh, and by the way- you're a great uncle. Have never even gotten a birthday card from any of my aunts or uncles. grin.gif

swanlakebud: I was at a complete stop. I treated it just like I would treat my 2005 truck. I think the previous owner of this truck simply drove it into the ground. There were no records of anything being done at a Ford dealership for this truck. He had to have known the front end had problems. The inner and outer tie rods on both sides were shot. Dave

Sometimes they know how bad the vehicles are, and sell them as is for a cheaper price, which they may have done on this truck. The dealership I worked at, we had to do a thourogh inspection on all used vehicles, if they had alot wrong with them they would put them in the wholesale lineup, and if someone wanted to buy it before the wholesalers did, they got it as is! But if asked what is wrong, the dealer should tell you this info.