• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Laker action on Gunflint Lake

This weekend was the very first time I fished for Lakers and had a blast doing it and of coarse had a few cold ones. It was just me and the father in law and he was the first to hook into one Friday afternoon and then I went out by myself Saturday morn and the first time I dropped "HIS" hot hook down one smacked it on the way to the bottom in 75 FOW and I didnt know it till I went to jig and whammo!!! then the fight was on OMG can these things fight and I got that one up and then 15 min later I hooked into another one but he got off at the bottom of ice and not 10 min later I hooked into another one but he too got off so it was 3 fish hooked in 1 1/2 hrs so needless to say the fishing was great as far as I was concerned and we ended up hooking into about 12 fish over the period of about 14 hrs or so and it seemed no matter where you fished on the lake you caught them but we particularly had the best success on a 1/2 oz chart whistler jig and a 3-4" minnow preferably chubs and the last day I downsized even more and had the most hookups by dropping my jig to the bottom and reeling up 20' and then dropping it back down and as soon as I went to start jigging again they would slam it. I have a couple of nice pics from this weekend how do I post them on here I'm kinda computer illiterate any help would be great

GOLDTIP, clearly you had the Midas touch that day! Great to see you landed some, and thanks for that excellent report. grin.gifgrin.gif

Can you say "addicted?" grin.gifgrin.gif

GOLDTIP,

Sounds like an excellent laker weekend! Good job! Those pics would be cool to see.

Go to the Photography forum and check out how to post pics. Its stickied to the top.

Goldtip,

Nice work!! Lets see those photos. You picked a good weekend to fish Gunflint. The bite seemed to be on up there. Did you fish the trout derby on sunday?

Cory

No Cory I didnt fish the derby but did fish the afternoon away and thanks guys for the compliments

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Looks like another one is hooked on Laker fishing.

Thanks for the report and pictures.

Nice fish Goldtip! You guys and Lisa are killing me with all these laker pictures. Thanks for posting.

Very nice fish!! We were actually fishing right next to you that sunday. We had a black silverado and a pewter silverado. Must have lost at least one more over there because we heard a ruckus at one point.

Cory

Actually Cory we lost a few fish between the 2 of us that afternoon how did you guys do??? were you in the big group closest to the point??? Thats actually where we started fishing on Friday and caught are first fish jigging and had one flag and no fish on thats too bad I didnt know who you were remember when we were driving in your area that day??? I decided to be respectful as always and keep clear of you guys and just try somewhere else and so we decided to try off the north side of the point instead Cory I will have to be honest with ya one time we hooted and hollered to see if we would get your attention off course all in good fun in reality it was the Father in Laws idea he's a big kid [PoorWordUsage] Friday morning we cracked our first beers at 1030am and didnt quit till dinner. Do you know Andy from Gunflint Lodge he's a guide and if so what is his username on here cause I talked to Adam on Saturday and he said he's on here I know him pretty well from GL he was our waiter quite a few times.

Hey thanks guys for all the nice compliments so we really did good from what you guys are telling me or are you just pulling my leg.

Goldtip,

We are not just pulling your leg about how you did. You guys did well!! No worries as far as driving by us, you could have joined us for all we care. We ended up doing just alright for the day. We caught 3 lakers total (all on rods while jigging) with a couple more misses and one fish that managed to get free right below the ice on a tipup. We were fishing the derby and I finished in 3rd place with a fish that weighed in at about 5.5 or so.

As for the folks at GL, I don't know anyone from there as of yet.

Heres a couple of photos from that day.

Me

gunflint1.jpg

Mimicshiner

gunflint2.jpg

Is it just me or are those fish just huge those are some really nice fish what did they weigh???

Goldtip, the first fish (the one that I am holding) weighed in at about 5.5 and the second one was about 4.5.

what was the hot lure up there. I am going to be up on Gunflint tomorrow. Bright and early

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.