Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattkimk

Pattern for Rainbows?

7 posts in this topic

I started ice fishing for trout last year. So far I have only gone to Grindstone and have had pretty limited success. I am probably going to try Square yet this year. Is there a seasonal or daily pattern to fishing for them? I mean atleast with Walleyes or panfish I can usually figure out a pattern and find fish but Trout seem to have no rhyme or reason as to where they will be at any given time. Either that or I am just frustrated after another day of going out and catching one fish in the first 10 minutes and not seeing anything the rest of the day.

Thanks

Wecome to the world of trout fishin

Bear in mind that some of the lakes that get stocked with trout for winter fishing did not get stocked this year, or got stocked less than normal. The floods in SE MN washed out many of the rearing ponds at the hatcheries near Whitewater State Park and Lanesboro. The DNR lost many of the fish they had intended to stock in the lakes for winter fishing.

As a general rule rainbows tend to feed the most the first few hours of daylight, up until around 11:00am.

I have uaually had my best luck jigging small spoons such as Pimples, Walleye Flyers,and Forage Minnows baited with a wax worm. Gold, silver, and rainbow trout are my favorite colors.

Jig the spoon a few time quickly in 2 foot [PoorWordUsage] then lift and drop them slowly until you see a fish come in, then slowly lift the jig away from them until they hit it. Repeat this pattern every few minutes. Sometimes they will not hit once they come in unless the bait is perfectly still.

I have always done my best by fishing the first drop off from shore in around 6 to 10 feet of water.

Cliff

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

1/16th oz Go Devils, #4 pimples(replace the treble with 1 size bigger), tipped with half a chub. You can fish them just like gills with iceflies/waxies, and bobber. They'll hit just like a gill too so you set the hook as soon as your bobber moves. If you wait for them to take line they'll spit it out. Take it easy or the wire hooks will straighten out.

I'll go out to the first break early morning to start. I give Trout a faster lift then let it free fall, hits come just after the fall or during. Once the sun gets higher and depending on the action I'll hole hop. The rest of the day I'll fish 2' under the ice. Bows won't think twice about coming up for a meal and are used to taking bugs just below the ice. Not to mention your lure is very visual there and can be see from a long ways away. When I'm just below the ice I'll also be using jigging spoons like mentioned above. Mind your drag because they'll be headed for the bottom.

Buckshot rattle spoons man!! Best lure i've ever used on rainbows in open water!! Silver or gold is right for colors. Great for brookies, and browns as well.