Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CJH

Favorite weekend fishing Trip?

11 posts in this topic

My friends and I are starting to plan our yearly "guys" fishing trip. All of us have families, so we get away for a Friday-Sunday trip in the spring once a year (probably early June this year). We usually stay at a resort and fish for whatever is biting, and like to mix it up for various species. We were on Osakis last year, for example.

So here's the question: Within 3 hours of the Cities, what's your favorite lake to fish during that time frame?

Not done with ice fishing yet (looking forward to late ice), but realize we should probably start making some plans pretty soon.

I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,

CJH

The rivers [Kettle/St Croix/Rum].....far away from the cities...

I would just drive the extra 2 hours and go to the boundary waters area/Ely/or Vayageurs National Park area (Kabetogema,Namakon,Rainy). June is a perfect time of year to hit the good walleye bite on the larger lakes like these. There are numerous resorts in these areas that would be great places to stay.

CJH,the only place I have been going is about four hours north.(I live in Ham Lake) Little Boy and Wabedo lakes, they are connected. About 20 miles south of Leech. We usually go up in early June as well, Little boy lake is a wonderfull lake with walleyes, nice gills and I cant believe the smallmouth that are in there!! Last year six uf us boated around 20 smallies in just a few hours one sat morning. Two of them are on my wall. Average is about four#, but did release two over five#. Wabedo lake has walleyes, some very nice crappies(my best being 14.5") but lots of 10-12"s. Largmouth bass, and both lakes have a great muskie population! Last spring my buddy and I saw twenty six muskies from fri afternoon to sun, but no takers. There are resorts on both lakes, some cheaper than others. Hope this you may find info usefull.

I'll second the Little Boy/Wabedo chain as a good multi-species lake.

A couple other ideas include Potato Lake north of Park Rapids and Spider Lake a bit north of Grand Rapids. Both have resort options.

In general, for a long weekend I'd focus on more moderate sized lakes. It'll probably be a bit easier to track the fish down. Good luck with your search. That's half the fun!

DB

I'd hit the Brainerd area. Gull lake is a fantastic multi-species lake and there are plenty of great resorts on the lake.

You can get to Vermilion in 3 hours from St Paul if you dont stop.

Vermilion in 3 hours?? Thats hammer down! \:\)

My trips up that way usually take a bit longer but it really isn't that bad of a drive at all. I'm also leaving from west Metro so that adds to the trip a bit.

You can get to Winni, Leech, Cass and anything in between for 3 1/2 hours and it would be a very, very hard decision for where to specifically spend the weekend.

Vermillion in three hours, that is hammer down!!!! grin.gif I want to ride with you sometime.......more fishing time!!!

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!! I appreciate it.

Any more suggestions or places you think haven't been mentioned?

Thanks!

CJH

Weekend fishing trip??? What's that you speak of? I'm married with child so I'm unfamiliar with this. Is it a new concept? How would I explain it to my wife so whe understands? I'm allowed to go out on Sunday's, would this be a "weekend trip". I think I used to know when I was single, but I think that was removed from my vocabulary at the time of the wedding.