• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Otter ice camo house for spearing?

bmc

I saw Northlander talking about his new Otter Ice Camo portable w/ the thicker canvas and the interior canvas being black. It sounds just like what my dad and I are looking for spearing and angling out of. Has anyone had any experience with this house and if so how about some pics of it set up for spearing.

Brian

i have not had any experience with them. I have always been in a Canvas Craft.

Here is some information about the houses that i have had. This way you can compare. They both make awesome houses, just some houses fit better for people then others do.

Originally Posted By: Dave
bannerej5.jpg

With temps ranging from 10 to 30 degrees across Minnesota, call me wimpy but, trying to stay warm inside a portable ice fishing shelter on such cold days is not my idea of fun. Rather than sit at home on one such cold day, however, I decided to do a little shopping. fish house shopping that is. I made a trip to Canvas Craft Inc., located in Ramsey, Minnesota. Now, with what Ive learned, Ill have to rethink my hard water fishing plans on such cold arctic days.

The OtterSkin Flip-Over is available in a variety of sizes; with or without the sled

flipover1el4.jpg

Canvas Craft has been manufacturing outdoor fabric products since 1977. With its introduction of the OtterSkin, twenty some years ago, ice fishing shelter technology at Canvas Craft just keeps getting better. Canvas Craft developed - and is the exclusive distributor - for NorpacR2, an extreme weather fabric featuring Thinsulate insulation quilted between two layers of flame resistant fabric. Now, ice fishing in such cold temps might be rather enjoyable.

Current NorpacR2 material on left has more insulating capabilities than previous generation material on right

norpachy5.jpg

From what I saw at Canvas Craft, the quality and ruggedness of ice fishing shelters coming out of its modest sized Ramsey location does compete with big box outdoor retailers. Actually, Canvas Craft manufactures some of those fishing shelters as well. If youre in the market for an ice fishing shelter, heres what I witnessed while at Canvas Craft.

Canvas Craft OtterSkin shelters are available in heavy single layer canvas or the NorpacR2 insulated material. The NorpacR2 material adds from 3-5 pounds of weight, depending on the shelter size. But, sitting in a NorpacR2 equipped shelter should be approximately 35 degrees warmer than a standard canvas shelter.

If your budget permits, I think the minimal added weight of the NorpacR2 material is a non-factor in respect to what is gained; warmer inside temperature, no condensation build-up inside, easier to heat, brighter inside and no wind flap, to name a few benefits.

Steel, double pole support systems add strength to the shelter.

supportswm5.jpg

steelsupportwn2.jpg

Rugged cloth trim basically eliminates ripped skirting; when removing shelter from frozen in areas.

skirttriman6.jpg

Fully velcro attached insulated windows on NorpacR2 equipped shelters

windowns8.jpg

Side vents (one on each side)double as eye level windows. Vent size can be adjusted easily. An accessory pouch is also incorporated on each side

ventmp5.jpg

All types of bench or single seats are available separately or in a shelter package.

seatsek8.jpg

Reflective material on each outside corner for safety while night fishing

reflectivetagskw4.jpg

The Northlander Series of shelters are available in a variety of sizes (4X8 to 8X8) in kit form where you supply the wood floor and assembly or completely assembled. The Northlander Series of shelters fold up for transporting; much like a suitcase.

northlandcanvaswo9.jpg

The Northlander Series, like the OtterSkin flip-over models, are available constructed in either heavy canvas or NorpacR2 material.

northlanderfp8.jpg

I gained a ton of valuable information about ice fishing shelters from the staff at Canvas Craft. It would be time well invested if you did also, while shelter shopping. Canvas Craft has two locations, in Rogers and Ramsey, Minnesota. And, they repair or custom build fishing shelters, boat covers, tents, awnings and a variety of other tarp related needs.

Canvas Craft

To learn more about NorPacR2

NorPacR2

Rogers Location

763-428-4325/888-428-4325

Ramsey Location

763-421-2506/888-421-2506

The Ice Camo series and the Wilderness series both have blackout on the inside, so it is pitch black dark. I think you could do okay with an ice camo house. You would just have to be careful not slipping in since its a flipover, but that goes with any house. I asked the same question at the ice show and the guys at Otter showed me the material and let me sit in it....Very dark.

Otter or Canvas Craft is the way to go IMO.