Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nate22

Whats everyone doing for Sturgeon this year?

25 posts in this topic

Looking forward to getting out on the river for some sturgeon fishing the end of April. Looking to hook into a 50"+ this year! Anyone have any good success last year?

Last year we managed to have great success with the sturgeon. I fished anywhere from birchdale, bigfalls, pelland junction, to the dam behind boise cascade. I will tell you the season was great last year and we had the most success overall down at marker 8 on the rainy which is just downstream from the mouth of the littlefork and the rainy. If you can find the hole that they are sitting in down there you should have no problem catching a few over 50" there were quite a few caught down there last summer. I dont know if you have ever tried this for sturgeon but i love to use dead shiners and nightcrawlers mixed...they seem to love it, good luck and maybe we will see you down there

Hey fish_slayer85 thanks for the info. I am looking forward to the start of the season and will sure be trying the shiner crawler mix this year. Good luck this spring!

I got a question for you sturgeon fisherman out there. Is it kinda like musky fishing were one fish is a good day or do you guys usually hook-up a couple times a day??? Just curious.

Hey there, I found that with sturgeon fishing a "bad" day can be about 8-10 in the boat. I've gone the last 3 years and each year we've managed about 40-60 fish for a three day trip. With average fish around 20-30 pounds! First and second years the biggest for our group was 58" both trips. Last year we found this monster.....65" and around 80-85 pounds!

012_5.jpg

I would agree with those numbers for fish. Last year, three of us landed 21 fish in approx 4 hours on one Sunday morning. Three of those fish went, 52,53,55 in inches.

WOW!!! one of these years I might have to give that a try. Is musky gear good enough for sturgeons???

Yep, muskie gear will work fine. Toss a 2-5 oz. weight on there, followed by a 6-16" leader, and a big ole hook with crawlers and cut bait on it.

I have found that in most years you can get by with a 3 or 4 oz weight. I usually use 4 oz. with a 12" leader.

Does time of year play a big roll in success. Should I try to get on the water as soon as possible or is anytime a good time. Can you catch and release anytime? I know there is a seasons for taking on fish, but I just want to catch and release a few.

I used straight 50# PowerPro braided line with no leader. Seems to work fine. Never have broken a fish off.

Oh yea, almost forgot...."knock on wood!" grin.gif

What I plan on doing is stacking on four or five crawlers on a 4/0 kahle hook with a 2oz no-roll sinker, pitching that out and sitting back and wait for that pole to start bending. As far as season are concerned April 24-May7 and July1-September30 you can keep one at 45"-50" or one over 75" for a trophy. catch and release seasons are May8-May15 and October1-April23,2009.

Can't wait for it! Will be up fishing as much as I can depending on the melt and if the river stays clean. If it's good, I will stay for a week or ten days. Will be doing combo walleye/sturgeon trips while the walleye season is open. Then will target the sturgies for the second half of April.

Last year, we didn't catch the numbers of fish as the previous year, but we did catch bigger fish. We caught numerous fish in the fifties. Our biggest was a 62 incher with a high twenties girth. Probably weighed seventy something.

The year before was exceptional numbers wise. The best we ever did was about 20 fish in 90 minutes. Most were over 40 inches. Several doubles.

I will be up there the day after birchdale opens up for big boats. See you guys up there!

I have got to get up there for the 1st time fishin' for Sturgeon.

Lookin' for guys who want to "truck pool" up there. I have the truck & boat...

Coming up in april as soon as I can get out for round 3 of the sturgeon fishing, but I have only fished Pelland the area. How does the gap produce and is there anywhere in between that is a better producer - I just would like to have a few suggestions in mind before I head up! Thanks

Best thing I can say is to watch this part of the forum, and keep an eye on Clementson Resort's website as well, so you know how far the river has melted.

I have always found the best sturgeon fishing between Birchdale and Pinewood (small settlement on the Ontario side downstream from the Frontier access).

The river gets continually deeper as you go toward LOTW. Birchdale runs up to about 15 feet. Frontier area you can find some holes in the low 20's. Farther down by Clementson you can find close to 30 feet, and way down by the mouth at wheelers point, you can find over 40 feet.

I've had some success out in the bay in front of wheelers point, but not as far out as the gap. There's a really big basin out there that is typically full of sturgeon. Problem is, by the time the river melts that far, it's often too muddy and makes the fishing difficult.

My advice would be to target the river while it's clean in early April. Once it goes muddy, give it some time to clean up, and then hit the river again in late April.

Good luck,

We always hit the river late April and have enjoyed good success. 4/0-5/0 circle hook with crawlers and a 4-5oz no roll. I use my catfish gear and that works very well.

I cannot wait for the sturgeon bite as its the highlight of my open water season.

Good luck to all.

Well Prodigy in my book the best bit of river is the lower stretch from the Clementson area on down to 4mile bay. Probably 10 maybe 12 spots thru these miles I'd consider great locations to throw your anchor and fish em. Deep river channel thru 4mile puts out gobs of Sturgeonfish but see's alot of traffic the past few years. Last week of April, first week of May offers up great fishing.

I'm with Slimey on the Kahle hooks, I like em a bit smaller myself though hook size would be a brand/style thing as for sizes. I will also use regular baitholder types too. No circle hooks for me thank you!

I got bit by the Rainy river Sturgeonfish bug back in the late 70's and have fished them regular ever since. I don't think I have ever had to use a weight heavier then 3 ounces myself and that was during near flood stage flows on the lower rivers deeper runs too. Best to use the lightest weight you can get by with and still keep the bait stationary. Last season I ran 1.5oz no-roll every trip. Main thing is to have your boat anchored down so it's not swaying to and fro dragging the weight and putting a 'belly' in your line. This will help in bite detection and it is amazing how light a good sized Sturgeonfish can nibble!

Just plain simple-minded fun and easy fishing/catching....

Bad day......0 Sturgeonfish! A rarity and something is wrong!

Average day.....8 maybe 12 per line.

Good day.....Around 20 each.

Great day....1 after another till you get sore arms!

Tic, toc, tic, toc....Springs right around the corner now!

Regards.....fiskyknut

I rig my med action ugly stick with 80# braided line

One or two ¾ or 1 oz Egg sinkers (No more weight than you need)

Tie this directly to a big ole swivel (NO SNAP SWIVELS)

Followed by about 12" of line tied directly to a big ole 1 or 1/0 hook loaded with crawlers (The bigger the job the bigger the glob)

Keep your hardware down to the bare minimum.

Tie everything direct and keep it simple.

Use Egg sinkers so the line can slide though the sinker. (the fish don’t have to lift the sinker and you don’t risk damaging your line.

I use big line cause if I ever do hook into the state record I want to bring it up!!!

I have never been up on the river and would love to try fish it, is there a minimum size boat you would recommend? I have a 16ft with a 30hp, would that work?

oh yeah that would work, that's the same thing I got. Plenty of boat for the river.

I have seen people sturgeon fishing in 12 ft boats!!!

I'm one of them! grin.gif

Is the river busy for sturgeon fishing when the walleye season is closed? Is it tough to get on a spot? Is it worth getting a canadian license?

The few times I have been there the river hasn't been busy at all for sturgeon. There are a few spots that will see some action, but almost anywhere you can find a hole is a potentially good spot. Four Mile bay sees a bunch of boats once it opens up.