Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chaddjurg

Canada Fishing

13 posts in this topic

I am planning a fishing trip with my father and father-in-law and we are looking for an excellent place to go for in Canada. We are looking for an accommodation that offers the "American" plan. Fly-in or drive....doesn't matter.

Would anyone have any information that they would like to share, where you went, cost, could you bring your own boat, ect.

Chad

what is your e-mail address

Last summer my wife and I made a trip to Cedar Lake by Perrault Falls. The walleye fishing was real tough but the other fishermen said it was by far the worst it has ever been for them. We went up the first week of July. The lake was real nice, musky, np, walleye, perch, and sm bass. My wife landed a 42" musky and we had a number of upper 40" follows. The walleye bite was stunted as a result of a may fly hatch, very unstable weather, and the lake rising 3 feet the week and a half we were up there. Cost was $435 but that was the housekeeping plan. Cedar Point Resort - Ray and Kathi were great hosts.

I am wondering the very same thing...price is a big factor for me. I know you get what you pay for there are probably some hidden gems out there \:\)

I'm all ears!

jensenmd@hotmail.com

We go for a week to Dogtooth Lake Resort every year. We bring our boats and it normally costs about 600-700 bucks. The couple years i've gone, each of us 4 guys have gotten at least 1 eye over 28" each year. Its not an easy lake to fish, but i think its very classic. Wind and weather plays a major factor on where you find fish. We could probably catch more fish when we go but we choose to target the big females that have left the spawning bays already. Even so last year my friend and I caught 107 walleyes last year in our boat, with 25 over 24".

Thanks for your responses

fishgetter - my email is chaddjurg@hotmail.com

Chaddjurg

U have mail.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

I know folks that have gone to Lac Seul and been happy. Various facilities from drive in to boat in. Fleet farm has the "free canada fishing maps" laying around the tackle department.

Thanks everyone for all the great information. Now...one last question....do I need to get a passport to go?

Yes I am about 95% you will need a passport with the tightened border laws. I know that you didn't need a passport just last year for a cruise if you left and returned from, say, Florida. But now you do if you have any port stops.

you don't need a passport yet. Birth Certificate and ID. But you will soon, so you might as well get one..

You can look on the Canada forum for the latest news on whether you need a passport or not. At this point you do not need a passport if you are driving, but do if you are flying anywhere. If you are driving you will need a state ID and your birth certificate. I have been to Canada many times for fishing and was asked just once for my birth certificate along with the state ID. That was in February of this year. The laws are tightened, but not restricted completely for those who have not yet gotten their passport.