Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrklean

Red Report

13 posts in this topic

Just got back from red today, stays with Kelly P not to many others up there so we got to fish from 3 different houses. Caught a 14.5 and 15 inch crappie first day with some 16 in eyes in there my dad got a 35 in pike jigging for crappies. Second day was slow, lots of small eyes with one nice 20 in and one 10 inch crappie. Fishing was slow pretty windy both days so i didnt get to venture out on the lake. I will say i have never had a crappie bend a hook before but that 15 incher almost got off cause it bent the hook. Even though i only got those three i look forward to going back sometime lots of fun. Gonna be a great walleye lake if they ever open up the slot. The eyes we caught were very healthy looking i look forward to going up to fish when i can actually keep the eyes.

Nice crappies.

Good seeing you got one of the smaller ones that many folks don't believe are there. Last winter we caught several smaller ones in certain spots.

Still a lot of snow on the ice up there I hear.

Haha yea you could say that, it snowed a little the other night but the wind really messed things up blowing snow every where. Kelly said one of the other houses marked fish all night long but not a single bite.

Good job on the crappies! Those Red lake slabs sure throw a good fight. Was hopeing on makeing another run up this yr but with doing the spring snow goose thing it doesn't look like it will happen.

spring snow goose thing? hmmmm. i might get a shot at that also. i kind of hooked up with a guy from sioux falls.

good for you!

Glenn- If you get a chance to go do it! The migration alone is worth the trip. Its a specticle to witness and it's addictive that's for sure. When I first started out about 10 yrs or so ago we (me and buddy)started our spread with around 100 decoys and hand calls. Now the spread consists of 6 guys around 1600 decoys and 3 electronic callers costly no doubt but well worth it!! It might be alot of work but I will never quit!!!

IM hooked on snow goose hunting worst habit in the world to start. leavin march 18 for a week in the dakotas. 1300 texas rigs and 250 full bodies. 12 reel wings its gunna be snowin!

Icehawk: So true, until you've seen it you just cannot describe it. Awesome. Nice set up, have you figured out the price per pound yet.....LOL Probably a good thing we don't on any of the trips. Success can't be measured in dollars or cents though. I've just about got my wife convinced....Bill

do you really need all those decoys set out to have any luck?

to decoy them, yes, you'd need either those huge numbers of low-end dekes or at least a couple hundred of the high-quality full body decoys.

My buddies and I are just going pass and jump shooting, which is what a lot of guys who hunt spring snows do and in all honesty can result is higher #'s of dead birds. Decoy hunting would be more fun but it is hard to justify a new decoy spread when we hunt 'em a couple days each year.

Decoy spread hunters don't like jump shooters, as a general rule.

where do you guys go for snows in the spring?

SOUTH DAKOTA!