• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2 piece rods

Chode2235

I am looking at getting a 2 piece fishing rod. I would like to be able to break it down, keep it in my car and be able to better pack for the camping/fishing trips I do by canoe and kayak.

I am looking at the St. Croix 6'6" avid ML 2 piece. I plan on using it for fishing walleye (jigging and rigging) as well as for smallmouth (smallish cranks, plastics, jigs).

What are the downsides to 2 piece rods. I hear sensitivity decreases, is this a substantial concern for the aforementioned techniques? What are the other downsides, or upsides. Thanks.

I've never used a 2 piece croix, but have had other 2 piece rods. I think you loose some sensitivity but foro what you are using it for you should be find. If you want to put it in a back pack or kayack you can't go wrong with what you are looking at.

The sponsor of the Muskie board here on FM is a custom rod builder. He makes a 2 piece rod that is his favorite. Many are skeptical, until they try one.....

Really, very minimal loss of any performance. You'll be very happy with a Croix like that. Upside, for what you're doing far far less risk of a broken rod!

Chris

I have an old two piece St Croix that I have made a short handle for-alot like the real display handles at Cabelas. I use the top half and short handle as an ice fishing rod. It doesn't cast well with the first eye being smaller than usual, but has all the feel of the full size St. Croix. Hans.

Some 2 piece rods lose a bunch of "feel" but I have some that dont seem to lose anything. I have a avid 6'6" 2 piece and its one of my favorite jigging rods.

I prefer a 1 piece in the boat but when packing into the woods or BWCA a 2 piece is a must in some situations. I think you will like that rod just fine.

I have a Fenwick 2pc HMG 7ft medium action that I bought so I had the flexibility to break it down for travel. Talked a lot to Roger up at Joe's and he said the old 2pc rods had issues with sensitivity loss, but not a real problem with the newer rods.

I am very happy with the setup. You need to make sure the two pieces are tight (check periodically). I've had the top half fly off when casting. Also, I only break it down when I need too. I end up having to use the line guides to help in twisting/pulling the rod apart - I am always worried I am going to damage the guide. Luckly haven't had any issues yet.

I have a 6'9" avid 2 piece. Can't even tell the difference from a 1 piece rod. I broke a tip on this rod last year and a new tip was a quick, cheap fix.

You will be happy with this rod.

I know Roger very well!!!! Class Guy. He's a friend of the family over the years.

The newer rods are so sensitive compare to the older two piece rods.

I totally agree with your comments about Roger being a class guy. I never use to shop at Joe's for fishing stuff. I know go there just because of his great friendly and very knowledgeable service.

I blame him for the hundreds of dollars I spent (but shouldn't have) on new rods & reels last year:-) Have been very happy with every one of his recommendations.

Thanks for the input guys. Kinda off topic, but.. Although I love the size, space and selection of the 'new' Joes, I really miss the atmosphere and feel of the old Joes on Rice. Anyone else?

Yeah, the old Joe's was great, but I gotta agree...Roger is worth the trip! How many bowls of Super Sugar Crisp do you thing he has every morning? He's non-stop energy! Fun guy for sure!

Chris

What a dream situation Roger has. I think he is kinda retired, obviously very healthy for his age, successful tourney fisherman, fully setup for fishing by Berkley (I think), gets to hang out selling fishing stuff, and gets paid for sharing his knowledge and talking fishing with eager anglers all day.

That might explain why he is always so happy (I know I would be, beats sitting at a desk all day).

Sorry to side track on the thread.

you'll love the your new 2 piece... just like other rods they have come a long way. I love mine a couple of my favorites. they are awesome for going through the woods and they also seem to find their way in the boat too.

Originally Posted By: Chode2235
Thanks for the input guys. Kinda off topic, but.. Although I love the size, space and selection of the 'new' Joes, I really miss the atmosphere and feel of the old Joes on Rice. Anyone else?

You must be thinking about the Old 'Old Joes' because the Old Joes was on Dale.

Those of us who fly fish are quite use to using 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 piece rods. Ferule technology has improved a lot in the last 20 years so that their isn't really a downside to using multipiece rods. The problem with spinning and casting rods is that there isn't much selection in 2 piece rods. The St. Croix rod you're looking at is just as good in two piece as it is in a single piece rod. I've build two rods on the single piece and two piece blank that you're looking at. There is no functional difference between the two.

Originally Posted By: Tom7227
 Originally Posted By: Chode2235

You must be thinking about the Old 'Old Joes' because the Old Joes was on Dale.

You're right, its on Rice now.. My bad.

Thanks everyone for the input, you have allayed my fears with a 2 piece.

I have a few two peice rods up to 12' long and love them. They pack up nice and save a ton of space in the guide boat. I have never had trouble with any of them and I put some of them through the ringer sturgeon fishing.

battletz5.jpg

Chode, I have that exact St Croix Avid you're thinking about. Very nice, you'll have no regrets. As others said, there is no loss of sensitivity with the 2 piece rods from the "higher quality" rod companies.

2 pieces may feel slightly different compared to a one piece. The one thing is the ferule? the connecting sleeve may be stiff and rigid so it may affect the overal rod bend. The thing is under normal use, you probably wouldn't have a load that heavy to require such a bend on your rod. That all depends on rod action type and power.

I'm guessing you're talking about a spinning rod. I use mostly two piece spinning tackle,I like the portablity since I have a car and fish from small boats and shore. And I do like the St.Croix option. My fav spinning rod is my 6'6 M St. Croix two piece. The important thing is that it is a rod that still has some backbone but still sensitivity, a lot of lower-end two piece spinning rods can get kind of flimsy. When fishing with baitcasters I would lean towards the one-piece to still maintain the back bone and power of the rod, especially chucking cranks, spinnerbaits, and jigs.

Yeah the spinning rod.

Its really the only option for a 'travel rod', and I am glad to hear that I won't give up much if any sensitivity. Thanks everyone.

I have only had 1 problem with a 2 piece rod.Last summer i got a snag while trolling a salmo hornet.Had to break the line because the snag was not going to come out.As i jerked hard enough to break the line it snapped back and the top half of the pole was thrown about 30 foot behind me.

If its going to be in your trunk/ used on hikes aka abusive situations, get a decent $40 graphite, they are sensitive enough and you wont cry when you snap your Loomis or St. Croix on a branch or crushed by luggage etc et --and frankly the fish do not care.

also if you spend an extra twenty or thirty, maybe more. Alot of manufactures will give a good warranty. some lifetime. To me thats worth it.

Originally Posted By: youngie22
also if you spend an extra twenty or thirty, maybe more. Alot of manufactures will give a good warranty. some lifetime. To me thats worth it.

Great advice if you can afford it. Definitely helps make it work spending the extra money for a better quality rod. Had to do this with my Fenwick HMG 2-pc. I almost cried when I hear the snap realizing it was my brand new rod. Brought it back to Joe's - they would have replaced it over the counter, but since they did not have the exact rod in stock they sent it into Fenwick, go a new rod a couple weeks later.

Ask the dealer about how the warrenty service works. I have heard some are more hassel free then others, also keep your reciept.

The St. Croix rods do a good job on two piece rods. I would look at the Avid Series.

G. Loomis also is very good. Look at GL3 or IMX for sure. They are lighter, faster than St. Criox.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to find any Loomis 2 piece rods. I have a couple Avids and think they are wonderful rods, and great values. Especially with all of the changes made to them this year.

G Loomis does have some in 2 pieces, just probably not the one you want. They also have some 3 piece rods - Travel series. Seems to be new product.