Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawgeye

Bait

8 posts in this topic

Coming up this weekend and wondering if anyone knows where to get bait? does the rainy lake 1 stop have shiners? thanks

Dave

Good luck with the shiners. As far a i know the state put a stop to the shiners due to some disease. The only ones i have seen lately are the preserved shiners.

I stopped fishing shiners a long time ago. They just aren't as hardy as the fatheads. If you got the right kig, any old minnow head will do, right?

I was up about a month ago and both the Outdoorman(?) by Holiday and Rainy Lake One Stop both had shiners.

Rainy Lake One Stop does not have shiners and I don’t know of anywhere in I’ falls that has them at this time, as far as the myth goes about the state putting a stop on shiners due to a disease is not true. MN has a law that you cannot transport minnows across state lines, and most shiners have come from other states. There was a big minnow bust in Duluth/Superior last year that involved a pretty dominate minnow supplier that brought minnows from WI to MN and he was caught and it pretty much ended his business. Trapping shiners in the winter is not as easy as chubs or crappie.

No one in town had shiners. It proably won't be until fishing opener in May until we do...and then we might not get the quantities like we used to get. As has been stated the state put a kiabosh to the importing of shiners into the state, more so because of innvasive species than anything. Which is bad news for all the shiner lovers out there.

I know where to find some shiners...word on the water is if you stop by the one stop after 2pm this weekend someone there can hook you up with some frozen shiners for a real good price...or if you really want live bait try the rainbows they are guaranteed to catch fish or die trying.

HI,

WHEN THESE FISH REALLY START SNAPPING, YOU CAN USE CHUBS & DO EXCELLENT. SHINNERS ARE EXTREMLY HARD TO TRAP WITH LOW LIGHT CONDITIONS OR NO SUN.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER