• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Steep break Crappies and Sunfish

I like to drive around at this time of the year and scout for new fishing spots, at prime time ( right before dark) and use the binoculars to see where people are fishing. Than the next day I'll drive or walk out and GPS the spot and fish it at a later date. Went out last night to a spot I GPS'ed last spring on a lake near Brainerd. This spot topped out at 7' and was a very steep drop to 35' also very rocky. Got out there about 5pm and caught about a dozen 9-10" bluegills. Around 6 we caught several nice walleyes 18-22" and my partner have a real brute break his 2lb line in the hole. Than the crappies started at about 7. First time I've every caught sunfish and crappies on a steep break like this. Is this unusual?

Watching people through the binocs and then going out and secretly marking their spot, hmmmm...

Sounds more like scouting for fisherman than fish. Nobody wants to work for them anymore. Maybe you could save some work and just wait at the landing and ask them for the coordinates.