Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NoviceFishingDad

Maple Lake - General Overview Requested

7 posts in this topic

Hello All,

It has been quite a while since I last visited here. Not too much into ice fishing, but getting excited for the coming open water season.

Would appreciate any insight anyone can provide on Maple Lake as both a fishery and a recreational lake. My wife and I are looking at a few cabins there, but do not know too much about the lake. I have reviewed the DNR report, but it is fairly old.

My impressions are it is a ok all around lake with fairly good water clarity for the area.

Specifically, is the smaller lake on the NE side fairly clean or is there a lot of floating vegetation and muck. We have two young boys and would like to make sure that part of the lake is ok for swimming. Also, is the channel from the NE smaller lake into the main lake navigable (sp?) and if so is it reliably so?

Any other thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - NFD.

I like Maple Lake a lot.

Very good lake for pike and bass. I have never really panfished there, but have heard some decent reports on that.

You can navigate with no issue between the 2 parts of the lake.

The channel is a no wake zone. No problem with even the biggest of boats.

The north bay is much murkier water color than the main lake, and is a lot of shallow water with 2 holes in it basically. Easy to see on a map.

Overall, I like that lake a lot.

Plenty of panfish in Maple Lake (both basins). Nothing to brag about in terms of size but typically plenty of action.

Nice lake. Fairly clear and deep. Little Maple is shallow with lots of vegetation. Wouldn't recommend it for swimming. Like mentioned, no problem navigating through the channel into middle Maple. It gets some recreational boaters in the summer along with some angling pressure but nothing like closer metro lakes. Fishing is decent. Plenty of panfish action for the kids but Wright county offers numerous lakes nearby for the serious angler. I have a coworker that lived on the lake for many years that I can refer you to if you have more questions.

Thanks everyone for the information. I am a little delayed in responding back. The home we were looking at sold and I got tied up on some things so have not been back to the site.

Well the home is available again and we are focusing in on the lake again as well. The area of specific interest is the small channel that seems to serve the homes on the west (or north) side of the lake (Sherwood Forest area). This is not the main channel between the upper and middle part of the lake.

Is this channel deep enough for a 17 Ft Explorer to navigate consistently. I am not getting a real specific answer from the seller so it gives me concern.

Sticknstring - I sent you an email as well, I would really appreciate it if I could chat with you and/or the friend you mentioned if possible.

Anu other information is much appreciated.

Regards,

NFD

NFD, I don't know the area very well around there but the best advice I will give you is when that part of hte lake opens up, bring your boat back up in there and see how it handles. Right know, I think we're still below average on most lake levels so if your able to navigate, you should be fine for 90 percent of time.

I saw a guy blast through the channel with his on full plane. Luckly nobody esle was in there, as it was almost dark.