• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Quality/Resolution of 2008 Garmin Topo maps

DanH

Question

Anyone with hands-on experience using the 2008 Garmin topo maps:

Do the 2008 Garmin topo maps for Minnesota have the same level of detail as the 1:24,000 paper topo maps available from the DNR?

thanks in advance for any info.

4 answers to this question

These maps are based on the 1:100,000 quad maps where the ones that you may be used to are 1:24,000. That equates to quite a bit more detail on the 1:24,000. Having said that I think they look pretty good on the limited look I've had at it. (just got it today) I've heard complaints on the road layer, but so far that seems unfounded. Most any little trail is depicted on the maps. I will know more when I get a chance to view the maps more.

If you're talking about the USTopo software, I have that software and so far it is okay. As mentioned the resolution is not real tight so elevation contours are rather vague but it is pretty good at showing trails, powerlines, railroads, wetland, etc. I've even found that some of the snowmobile trails in northern MN are on there. I suppose mostly because many were once forest service roads and such and have been closed to traffic.

Bob