• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking at Lac qui Parle for the first time this year. Anything on an early Crappies out there? Is that stretch iced in now or when does it go out?

very iced in!! About 28 inches worth...crappies are hittin now!!

Are they getting any of those big slabs down there or are they average size.

There are more 10" crappies getting taken out than the real big ones. The people have been taking multiple limits every week. Not looking good for the long haul. Heard one guy say his house got 685 crappies this winter. I don't know if they kept them all but I've heard a lot of people bragging about getting limits. When I ask if they are getting those 13" and 14" crappies, they say they aren't that big, but we're getting limits of 9 and 10 inchers. Oh boy! Limits of 9 or 10 inch crappies. I think I'll pass.

Yeah koonie it really is getting sad. We were just a little under that number for total we had caught outta my house and my house was vacant for 5 weeks. We kept no where near that many. The smallest we would keep was 10". Took 3 limits the first week then after that only when we needed and even then we caught more than enough but would only keep enough for a meal 12's or better.

The way it has gone this year next year wont be anything to compare to this year. It's to bad with a few good years of selective harvest we could have had a heckuva crappie lake. (No pun intended)

Couldnt agree more! The amounts of Crappies coming out of the lake this year is ridiculous! I cant imagine the lake, even being so big, recovering anytime soon from this winter... Remember these fish gotta go reproduce soon here! We only got 2 or 3 most nites this winter, but they were the larger Lac Qui Parle sized ones, so some are still out there...

Can't do nothing about the meat hogs unless you now they are over there limit and turn them in. Its sad to here that though. There was a really good crappie bite on Oliver earlier this winter and I know there were limits of crappies leaving the lake every night for 3 weeks. At one time there were 60 houses back on the west bay of the lake. Its amazing how many people show up when the word gets out.

so what only locals can fish it or what?? Not tryin to start an argument but why doesnt someone say something...call tip...call the warden...do the dirty work urself! Just to sit back and watch this happen ur almost as guilty! I agree entirely. I have never been over my possession limit in my life! But to sit back an watch it happen...shame on all of u!

Where have all the walleye's gone? Man, keeper walleye's were hard to find on LQP this year.

walleyeaddict, If your dirceting that towards me, I don't really care how many people show up to any lake. Its public water, anybody can fish it if they want. I have and did call the tip line this winter just to give them a heads up. I'm not trying to start an argument either its just dissapointing to to get a good bite going and have people abuse it, not practicing catch and release. I don't care if people take a limit or to every once and awhile but I know there is meat hogs out there that will keep every fish they catch. When the fish bite really good I love to bring out the kids and people that don't get to fish very often. Its so fun to just sit back and watch them catch fish.

we got checked on oliver new years weekend. b-ess'd for a little bit (i was down on the se bay) said he was aware of the crappies, "were working on it". never heard of anybody i know that was up on the crappies being checked so not sure what that meant. im amazed how that lake gets thumped winter after winter.

VEXI....if u have been using the tip line then no it wasnt directed at u!! I too hate too see a fishery destroyed by meat hogs...If ur there often seeing this use tip a lot more often. Talk to people.many will brag about their freezerful...this is what i meant by do the dirty work urself. no offense intended VEXI seems like we are on the same page!

You seem awful quick to pass judgement on us even though you have no clue weather we've called in or not. I personally know the local warden and he knows whats going on but it's not that easy for one guy to catch all the people taking more than their limit or double dipping, not to mention checking possession limits.

Yes only locals should fish the local lakes... ITs the "out of towners" that just move there houses close to others and create shanty-towns! I'm kidding, obviously its public water, but the shanty towns do get kind of annoying...

I think the game warden was much more present on LQP this year than the last few years. The good crappie bite brought out people I haven't seen out fishing in years, which was nice to see. It was fun to have my kids ask "Dad when are we going fishing again?"

I hope the landing hold up for the weekend?

Sure would be nice to drive out!

Any current info/outlook for the weekend appreciated--

if that rain amounts to much that could mean trouble

I was out last evening. Some slush/water on the ice, everyone was driving their trucks on the ice. Rain today and it looks warm again tommorrow, I'm not sure how the landing will be by the weekend. But I can't wait to get back out there.

Sounds like you did pretty good Willie?

Catchin' some of the real lac qui parle size?

thanks for info

will be out for eve bite tomorrow