• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stren Super Braid question??

I am wanting of buy some this year to try out on my 3 different combo setups(2 spinning,1 baitcast).I've already heard good things about this line so my question is.What do you guys think of the color hi-vis gold?Pros/cons?Will the fish see it or not?I usually use spiderwire's moss green which is dark but never heard of anyone using gold color.I already bought 3 spools 50lb,30lb,& 20lb at a discounted price.Also this line will be in metro lakes for mainly pike,musky,& largemouth bass fishing.The 50lb test will be used mainly on the river for carp & cats.Sorry for the long thread.Thanks in advance to all that reply.

If you think that the bright color will matter take a black permanent marker put a slice in the tip and run the last few feet of the line threw it to color it black.

I like Stren Superbraid, although I've never used the hi-vis color. It's a great trolling line, although it can be pretty soft for casting and can lead to wind knots. The tip about coloring the line black is a good one, or use a mono or flouro leader on the end of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like SSB!!! It stays rounded longer then most other braids do. A lot of the other braids i have tried go flat and it doesnt cast as good!!!

I think PerchJerker hit the nail on the head. It can be soft but I think it still behaves better than PowerPro. Try to throw something heavy once in a while, or just hold the line as you retreive to tighten things up again. It will turn your hands green, but it washes off nicely. Just spooled up a new rig with some 65lb test yesterday. The other rig I have with it is 12lb test so we'll see if it performs well at the larger diameter.

I've experimented with the braids on spinning gear. I tried the Stren Super braid and Spiderwire Stealth. They both worked pretty good for a while. I like the strength and not having to worry about using a leader or not for northerns (I never had one break a braided line without a leader.) The problem is that on spinning gear eventually you are going to get a huge snarled mess when you cast that will cinch up tight and you'll have to cut it out. I don't know exactly why, but something happens and the line doesn't come off the reel right when you cast and gets into a huge mess. I had this happen to me probably 4 times last year. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think I'll try braided line on spinning gear again any time soon.

lotsofish, if you are throwing really light baits then they will not spool tightly. If you later in the cast hook a fish or a clump of weeds it will then tightly wrap the line underneath the loosely spooled line. Usually it's a progressive problem, so if every once in a while you hold the line as you retreive so it wraps tightly or if you switch to a heavy bait it will prevent the problem most of the time.

Yes, that's a problem with all super lines. It affects baitcasters as well and probably worse for baitcasters as since they don't have a line roller to put some tension into it. For spinning reels if you use a bobber, you'll get real bad results in line lay on your spool when you don't have tension on it. Line digs in in certain parts while others are too loose an it comes off the spool. When you cast, that line that's dug in grips the loose line and it all comes off. That's the same problem that affects many of the budget reels under $50, even when using regular fishing line. It gets magnified so much more with superlines.

All I can say is that I almost never had to cinch down on my line at all with a Shimano Stella, only rarely on a Sustain, and occasionlly on my Stradics. I have to check frequently on my Symetre and just about every other or third cast on my Sahara's. On my $20 Shakespear Intrepid spinning reel, it was just about every single time.

i have used this for last few years, and love it. The line is the best Braid IMO

I used Stren Superbraid all of last year and liked it. I've never used the hi-vis stuff, but have a friend that does (I fish with him alot) and he does just fine with it. He catches good numbers, and some really, really big fish!

I might try the Hi Vis Yello this coming season and just take a black marker to the last two feet by my lure. Just so it isnt so bright right next to it.