• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

March

Turk

From my past experiences I have found March to be the best month to ice crappies on the Croix. Trucks are still driving on here in early March, but when you need the planks to get on the ice, the bite is normally even better plus quite again like first ice. Keep catchin’

Turk how fast does the ice tend to go on the river? I am new to the river ice this year, how fast does it go? I was out in Bayport last weekend and there was about 28+inches. I imagine the shoreline gets bad first but just looking for general guild lines. I want to head out again this weekend trying to decide on sleds or truck. Thanks again for all the help on the St, Croix I fished her about 30 day last year and only had a few rough ones. I have lived in Saint Paul almost all my life and never really fished the river much at all and then a friend introduced me fall of 06 and I have been hooked ever since. Thanks again for the help Turk and good luck on the ice.

Turk --

Can a guy still drive out of bayport and up north a little distance in 2wd with the packed down roads?

Hey Jeff - I looked in my journal and ice was out north of Stillwater on 22 March 2007 and on 23 March 2006 and on 2 April 2005. There is a lot of ice on the river right now and the 15 day forecast isn't that warm yet. Hard to tell how this year is going to play out. What really makes the ice leave the river is a good spring rain - that rain will also make the St Croix rise. I would think the last week of March to first week of April you should be able to get your boat in.

Ok, I want to drive my 4x4 truck out of Bayport in the next day or so.

I've always used the Private Ramp launching my Boat, but never fished the River through the Ice.

Exactly where do I drive out of? Is it Free or Pay?

Is the general area most fish North or South of where I would drive out of?

Thanks very much.....

Fisherman For a Liftime- I dont know any of the street names so it might be a little confusing but i'll try to explain how to get on the river. You will be heading north on hwy 95 into Bayport. Right when you get into Bayport you will take a right to where you see the sign for the Marina, but instead of driving straight into the Marina you take a quick left. This rod curves down and you will go straight across some railroad tracks. Their is a sign that says this street is a private drive but their is another sign that say River Access. Follow this road right onto the water. It is free and most people head north. Good Luck.

Will be heading out this afternoon and will report later.

Fished from 2:30 till dark this afternoon in 35 fow. Marked tons of fish on my vexilar but it was fairly hard to get them to bite until about half hour before dark the bite picked up for a bit and then shut down at dark. Between me and a buddy we probably caught 25 or 30 crappies. Of those 5 were over 10 inches, most were very small. Gold was the hot color.

Will be heading out again Friday morning.

Thank you very much! That's the marina I launch out of lots of times each year. It'll be cold the next couple days, so there should be solid ice.

Go north in the bay, or cross the bay and go north on the river?

Dont go in the bay. Stay on the main river and fish in 30 to 40 feet of water. Their are so many places to fish all over its hard to tell you where to go but mostly people head north.

uwleagle --

How is the path out there, is the road well packed down? How thick is the ice as of yesterday?

BWade, it's thick (30"+), I don't think we will see any significant melting of the access until Tues-Thurs of next week. Very little snow on the ice unless you get close to the Wisco shoreline. The North Hudson access is rough to drive over.

LB

thanks Blue -

alright was thinking of maybe stopping out there this weekend sometime but think me and my hand auger will stay home...

Good luck up north this weekend!

Was out Wed night and did alright I lander 5 between 8-11 inches, but man the bite was so light it was a real test to stop from trying to set the hook early. Gold again was the color but only under the bobber the jigging spoon got skunked 37 feet and there where a couple of times I counted 9-10 fish on the vex and they where just loafing. Tried about 10 different things and nothing helped and tips? On the bobber that worked I would let it sit and give it a small jig here and there then after nothing for a while pick it up and touch the top of the shack and let her down again. Good luck out there, heading out early Sunday for most of the day.

I'm headin out with Big Jeff on Sunday and hope the ice is good. But like he asked , when does it go out? What's the report on eyes on the river?

labman you crazy SOB the eyes are closed now, but the crappies can still ne hunted, planing on getting out early like one the ice by 7am and then some more people are going to show up around 10:30 noon and let the BBQ begin. Rob has the grill and the charchol, I am going to pick up some brats and chedder dogs, if you want to grab some chips and condements that would be great. If any other Fm'ers are out look for a black tahoe and a purple otter house stop by and say hi. Good luck out there!

Here and there Turk, It was busy on the ice and the fish where on the move but nice day out and good company made it a good one, posted more complete report in 3-7 report post. Turk, look for an email from me about your services, looking to take my Dad out and I thought I would see what your schedual looks like. Thanks and good luck out there!

Ice fishing on the St. Croix River by Bayport sucks at night - after 9 p.m. For some odd reason - the fishes bite much more actively in the morning and evenings according to my experience. It could just be me too. Anyways...are there White Basses?