Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Trany

good 22LR?

Trany

I am looking to buy a 22lr for small game, any suggestions?

CAJ

If you like bolt actions, and want a good shooting cheap rifle. Got to Walmart and buy the Savage 22lr with the accu trigger. I have 2 of themand they shoot great. Thwey only have 5 or 7 shot clips. Can't beat them for the price. I have the black stocks on mine. Kids can't destroy them very fast. CAJ

peder

Hard to beat a Ruger 10/22.

Jackpine Rob

Has anyone tried that Savage bolt-action with the thumbhole stock and stainless steel finish? I was playing around with one in Gander last week and almost walked out with one! Jr. decided he needed a 12 gauge, so we left with a Stoeger Condor instead...

So many guns, so little money! I am seriously thinking about that Savage (it just looks cool), and would appreciate any first-hand input.

I have had phenomenal luck with my bolt-action Marlin in .22 Mag, and the price of those guns has always been right. Mine will shoot almost the same hole at 100 yards out of a cold barrel. Heated up, it still keeps 5 shots within 1/2 inch.

picksbigwagon

I have the thumbhole savage bolt action in 17hmr with a blue bull barrel. It is heavy but that accutrigger is awesome. I can shoot the 20 gr. hornady's with 4 out of 5 touching at 5 yards, the 5th one is always a little off becuase I know what kind of group I have....Dicks carries them for 300 with 3-9 simmons scope.........price is the same I believe for 22lr so if you want a 22lr, that is a choice, but the 17hmr is a great gun.

Tippman

Hmm... 4 out of 5 touching at 5 yards huh Picks. You're really going the distance with that gun.. Jk I'm assuming you meant 50 yrds.

I have Remingtons 597 and have been pretty happy with it.

picksbigwagon

aaawwwwwwwww crud.....I have really long arms so I can just reach out there and poke the barrel through the target....Yes I meant 50 yards.

mnhunter79

i'm gonna have to agree with peder, and 2nd that answer. ruger 10/22. mine is accurate, looks great with the laminate white wood. good gun all around.

ChompChomp_YANK

10/22'S are rock solid guns & there are tons of aftermarket options if you ever wanted to spice things up.

Trany

Thanks for the info.

nolte

I second the ruger 10/22. I just plain beat on mine and she still shoots great. Great little gun.

Also got a marlin 22 mag bolt that is a nice little rifle.

southwest

I would also say the ruger 10/22, I got mine for christmas when

I was 8 yrs old 34 yrs ago and mine son's shoot the heck out if

it still, most reliable gun i have owned. Doesn't need alot of cleaning and never had to replace any parts. I also have

the .17 hmr savage with the heavy barrel with thumb hole in it.

I like everything but the clips for it, but a good shooting gun.

giwoyna5

Ditto on the 10/22, I've had mine for um ah 22 years and it's still as reliable as when I first got it. Even with a little neglect in my youth. I like having high capacity clips available too. Really fun for just a day of plinking. Saves a lot of reloading time. When it comes to a 22LR, I wouldn't buy anything else JMO.

picksbigwagon

Okay, I have 3 22's, a 10/22, you can't beat it with a stick, reliable and just a blast to shoot, a 22 Beretta NEOS pistol, just as fun to shoot, and an old winchester model 270 pump .22.

The winchester is the most accurate one I have, and It has open sights. BUT, I love that accutrigger on my 17hmr. I

f you are looking for a blasting gun, go with the 10/22, if you are looking for accurate grouping, 10/22 or a savage with the accutrigger and the thumbhole stock. If you are looking at taking shots at more than 50 yards, go with the savage in a 17 hmr with the thumbhole stock and aim for the vermin's head, body shot are messy with those little bullets......

Anyone here have the remington 527? they sure do look pretty

I do second the clips on the savage 17hmr's, they can be a pain, and you only get one, 5 shot clip

Early Riser

I don't recall the 527 right off hand - how about the old Nylon 66? I still like that one! Do many people have experience with those? Are they hard to find nowadays?

I know the 10/22 is a solid choice.

BigWadeS

10/22 is a great reliable one, I have an old pump remington from my grandpa, not sure of the model number, but old, and then a couple of the Remington models with the nylon stocks and butts...all have worked great....

bmc

I've got a Ruger M77/22 bolt action w/ synthetic stock that I really like. My buddy has a .17 hmr bolt action and that thing is a tack driver, no doubt. Decisions, decisions!!! LOL

Brian

CAJ

Earlu Riser IF YOU HAVE A nYLON 66 rEMINGTON IN GOOD SHAPE, THEY ARE HIGHLY COLLECTABLE Don't sell those until you check the market. Any Rugers out of the box for me have been very good. The 17 is amazing. CAJ

Early Riser

I have one Nylon 66 that I bought over 25 years ago. It has been a reliable and light weight plinker and game getter. I wasn't sure how collectable they had become. I heard they are held in high esteem by trappers and commercial fishing folks in parts of Alaska.

carpshooterdeluxe

ive got one 10/22, a marlin tube fed semi, a marlin clip fed semi, and a beautiful marlin lever action 39A(?). i love shooting all of them. i beat the [PoorWordUsage] out of my ruger, still runs like a dream, all the marlins are pretty much squirrel guns and can plinkers. i think for a pure fun factor the coolest .22 ive seen is the browning buckmark bull barrel carbine. i want one of those so bad.

icehousebob

I own nine .22's and my 10/22 that I bought in 1966 has seen the most use. My 1890 and 1906 Winchesters are semi-retired. When I need accuracy, my old Winchester Model 75 target rifle sure is fun. But if I had to bet the farm on one that would keep going, it would be the 10/22.

ripstick

Ihave know many 10/22 owners and it comes down to fact its the one to get. Just get the no thrill birch stock its the low end.you will be happy with it.

fishuhalik

The two 22's that I own are both rugers, a 10/22 that has seen about 300,000 rounds without a thorough cleaning, and a 77/22 which I take very good care of. The 10/22 is starting to loose it's edge a little, it doesn't eject as fast as it use to and if you fire off the entire 50 rd clip as fast as you can it'll jam once in a while, but all in all it's been a great gun. The 77/22 is awesome, I have it paired w/ a leupold 4x and have taken the head off many a grouse and squirrel with it. Other than my 25-06 the 77/22 is my favorite gun to shoot.

Thorn

I've got a hand me down Ted Williams .22

Simply amazing, 14 rounds capacity Just cleaned it after 20 years...no lie It has been fun shootin it.

walerak

.22's aint made like they used to be... the old ones seem to still outperform even after the years of abuse they've taken

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• smurfy
      looks like cow bay!!!!!!!!!! nice fish.
    • eyeguy 54
    • Hoey
      I have not heard any reasons for the purported relocation.  Just thinking out loud here - Walker Bay has not had enough ice in many of the past years, so they have to hold the event on shore and not on the lake.  There is limited space for a shore event there.  Maybe Bemidji makes more ice and/or they have more on-shore accommodations.  Walker itself is more of a tourist and family town and the Pout Fest is not that.  
    • Rick
      Hunters are reminded to register deer before processing, before antlers are removed and within 48 hours after taking the animal, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  “Deer registration provides information that is essential to our ability to manage deer populations,” said Steve Merchant, wildlife populations and regulations manager. “Hunters are required to register deer and it’s a fairly simple process.” Hunters register deer with a phone call, online or in person. Before registering a deer, hunters must validate their site tag. The validated tag must be attached to the deer when the deer is placed on a motor vehicle or an ATV, a vehicle or a trailer being towed by an ATV or brought into a camp, yard or other place of habitation. Phone registration
      Register deer via phone by calling 888-706-6367. Directions are printed on each deer hunting license. Have a pen or permanent marker ready. A confirmation number will be given; it must be written on the license and site tag. Internet registration
      Register deer via internet at mndnr.gov/gameregistration. Directions will be similar to phone registration, and a confirmation number must be written on the license and site tag. In-person registration
      When phone or internet registration is not possible, hunters must take their deer to a big-game registration station. The person whose name appears on the license must be present at the registration station with their deer. They will receive a big-game possession tag that must be attached to the hind leg, ear or antler where the site tag was attached. A list of all stations organized by city and county is available at any DNR wildlife office or at mndnr.gov/hunting/deer. During registration, the hunter must use the permit area number where the deer was harvested; using the wrong deer permit area for registration is illegal. Registration instructions for all methods are available at mndnr.gov/gameregistrationhelp. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • BrianF
      Hi Jim, the problem with channels on Tonka is not only the current, which keeps the ice thin all winter, but also due to the effects of road salt/chemicals.  Many of the channels have bridges over them which receive a lot of automobile traffic.  In the winter, road salt/chemicals are pour on the roads during adverse weather conditions.  Cars and especially snow plows cause the salt/chemicals to splash over the guard rails and onto the ice.  When you see new reports of cars going thru the ice on channels, it's usually right under a road overpass, for this reason.  Because of the road salts, channels are just a super dangerous place to be, even during our coldest winters.  
    • Hookmaster
      I'm pretty sure there is still a winter only access on Smith's bay just north of where hiway 51 intersects hiway 15 at the lake.  It's just before the North Shore Marina. You'd have to trailer to there but then you'd have the main lake to fish.
    • Rick
      Pheasants banded in Nobles and Redwood counties Pheasant hunters can voluntarily report roosters that were banded as part of a study being conducted by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  DNR Farmland Wildlife Populations and Research Group workers captured and banded roosters during a research project. The two study areas involved in the project are the Lamberton Wildlife Management Area complex in Redwood County and the Worthington Wells Project Area south of Worthington, located in Nobles County. Although the study is focused on hen pheasants and their broods, roosters were also opportunistically captured in an attempt to collect survival information on males. A plain metal leg band with a unique identifying number was placed on the right leg of each rooster. Hunters are asked to contact the Farmland Wildlife Research Group to report harvest information. The band number, date of harvest, and location information (WMA name or GPS coordinates preferred) are requested. If hunters want information on when and where the bird was initially captured, they may also provide their contact information so that researchers can return their call. GPS locations and personal data will not be made public. Although Minnesota has a rooster-only hunting season, hunters who come across a dead radio-collared and/or banded hen are also asked to call with information so that researchers can refine their hen data. To voluntarily report birds marked as part of this study, contact Lindsey Messinger, 507-642-8478, ext. 224. Alternatively, people may contact Lindsey by email at Lindsey.Messinger@state.mn.us. This work is funded in part through the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act. Additional details about pheasant hunting are available at mndnr.gov/hunting/pheasant. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, in conjunction with the Michigan and Wisconsin natural resources departments, will take questions about the Lake States Forest Bat Habitat Conservation Plan at 3 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 31. The phone conference is for anyone interested in the integration of forest practices with conservation measures to support bat populations.  Forest bat populations are rapidly declining, and one or more species may soon be reclassified as endangered. If reclassified, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service provides the opportunity to develop a Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP). An HCP helps endangered species recover by setting out habitat conservation plans during land management activities. In preparation, Minnesota and neighboring states are developing a forest bat HCP that aims to maintain bat habitat and allow important forest management activities to continue. Input from forest land owners, forest managers, conservation groups and other stakeholders is essential to developing an effective HCP. An introductory video describing the HCP process and how to participate is available at https://youtu.be/46IAHTaqJQE. The DNR encourages participants to watch the video prior to the Oct. 31 question and answer session. To access the session, in the ten minutes prior to the call start time, participants should dial 855-802-6790 toll-free and, at the prompt, enter the conference ID code 93441291. Anyone requiring an accommodation to participate in the phone conference is asked to email bathcp.dnr@state.mn.us or call 651-259-5919 as early as possible. More information is available at mndnr.gov/bathcp.   Contact: Lindsey Messinger, wildlife research biologist, 507-642-8478, ext. 224.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      A video about how to get deer tested for chronic wasting disease is available on the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources website at mndnr.gov/cwd.  “Getting a deer tested for CWD only takes a few minutes and the video takes hunters through steps that make the process go smoothly, such as positioning their deer so the head is easily accessed in the vehicle,” said Lou Cornicelli, wildlife research manager. Testing will be required in portions of north-central, central and southeast Minnesota during the opening weekend of firearms deer season. “We want to thank hunters for cooperating during this sampling process,” Cornicelli said. Precautionary testing from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 4, to Sunday, Nov. 5, will determine whether chronic wasting disease may have spread from captive deer to wild deer in central and north central Minnesota. Central Minnesota deer permit areas with mandatory testing are 218, 219, 229, 277, 283 and 285. North central Minnesota deer permit areas with mandatory testing are 155, 171, 172, 242, 246, 247, 248 and 249. Testing in north central and central Minnesota became necessary after CWD was found in multiple captive deer on farms near Merrifield in Crow Wing County and Litchfield in Meeker County. Test results will determine whether CWD may have potentially been passed from these captive deer to wild deer. Deer harvested in southeast Minnesota’s permit areas 343, 345, 346, 347, 348 and 349 also are subject to mandatory testing on Nov. 4-5 because they are adjacent to permit area 603, the only area of Minnesota currently known to have CWD-infected wild deer. All hunters in affected deer permit areas will be required to have their harvested deer tested Nov. 4-5. After field dressing their deer, hunters must take them to a sampling station. DNR staff will remove lymph nodes, which will be submitted for laboratory testing. Hunters must register their deer by phone, internet or in person at any big game registration station. Harvest registration will not be available at CWD sampling stations. For sampling to accurately detect whether CWD exists in wild deer, the DNR needs hunters’ help to collect 3,600 samples in the north central area, 1,800 in the central area and 1,800 in the southeast. Proactive surveillance and precautionary testing for disease is a proven strategy that allows DNR to manage CWD by finding it early and reacting quickly and aggressively to control it. These actions, which were initiated in 2005 to successfully combat bovine tuberculosis in northwestern Minnesota deer and in 2011 to eliminate a CWD infection in wild deer near Pine Island, provide the best opportunity to eliminate disease spread. Hunters not in a mandatory testing area can collect their own lymph node sample and submit it for testing to the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory at the University of Minnesota for a fee. A video showing how to collect a lymph node sample and a link to the lab’s website are at mndnr.gov/cwdcheck. Complete information about mandatory CWD testing, sampling station locations and a related precautionary feeding ban, which includes salt and mineral licks in all areas and attractants such as estrus urine in southeastern Minnesota, are available on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/cwd. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      State wildlife chief addresses upcoming season and future challenges By Paul Telander, DNR wildlife chief When Minnesota’s deer season ends Sunday, Dec. 31, it is quite likely the harvest will be in the 200,000 range.  This Minnesota Department of Natural Resources projection is above last year’s harvest of 173,213, below the 2003 record harvest of 290,525 and similar to the most recent 20-year average of 205,959. Prior to 2000, deer harvests in excess of 200,000 occurred only four times. Deer harvest totals typically relate to the size of the deer population and to a lesser degree to weather conditions immediately before and during the hunting season. On the 2017 season
      This should be a good deer season barring any unforeseen unusual weather. Deer numbers are up following three years of conservative harvest regulations designed to rebuild the population, coupled with three relatively mild winters. As a result, more antlerless permits are available this year, and hunters in many parts of the state will have additional opportunities to harvest more deer because of other more liberal season framework changes. Unfavorable weather, like heavy snowfall immediately before or during the hunting season, is the main factor that would prevent a harvest increase. On putting 2017 in context
      The highest deer harvests occurred during the early to mid-1990s and from 2000-2008. During this latter period, the harvest topped 200,000 each year. The high harvests in the early 2000s occurred at a time when the over-riding harvest strategy was to reduce the deer population so it wouldn’t grow out of control, as had happened in certain eastern states, and to address certain environmental, economic and social concerns. Deer harvests in excess of 225,000 occurred only once in the 1990s. Going further back, the harvests in the 1970s never topped 100,000. The harvests in the 1980s were under 150,000. Today, there’s growing discussion in the hunting community as to what’s a reasonable harvest target, and that’s a good conversation to have. On managing toward population goals
      Our aim is to keep deer numbers at population goals identified during DNR’s periodically occurring public goal-setting processes. There are 130 different deer permit areas throughout the state, and nearly all permit areas have a numeric population goal range. Population goals range from as low as a handful of deer per square mile in intensively farmed areas to 20 to 25 deer per square mile in prime forested areas. A few permit areas are too small or have too low of a harvest to model the local population. Deer numbers are at or have exceeded population goals over most of the state. Some northeast and southwest permit areas are slightly below goal. Parts of central Minnesota and southeastern Minnesota are above goal. From an overall, statewide perspective, we’re not far from where we believe Minnesota should be. On DNR transparency
      Many hunters are curious as to how we make our decisions on antlerless permit numbers and season structure, and that’s something we are trying to more effectively communicate. The process starts immediately after the deer season closes. That’s when area wildlife supervisors and staff monitor deer harvest results in their local areas and collect informal feedback from hunters, conservation officers, foresters and others. In spring, after winter severity has been monitored and deer mortality losses have been estimated, research staff run population models for each permit area based on the last year’s harvest, winter mortality, anticipated fawn births, predation and other data. These calculations are the basis of research staff recommendations for season permit area designations (lottery, managed, intensive harvest, etc.) and the number of antlerless permits that should be made available to hunters in each lottery permit area in order to achieve population goals. Research staff recommendations are sent to all area wildlife supervisors, who then have the option of agreeing with them or modifying them based on their own local observations and informal input. Often, these recommendations agree with each other, but not always. When this happens, differences get resolved at the regional or St. Paul office level. Ultimately, the agreed upon season structures and number of permits to be issued for each area are communicated to hunters through the multi-colored deer map that is part of the hunting regulations booklet and a new, more informative interactive deer map on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/deermap. On managing expectations
      That’s perhaps the hardest part of deer management, and it’s often a function of scope and scale. Our agency’s focus is on the big picture and a half million hunters. Conversely, the individual hunter is most interested in what’s happening within their immediate hunting area, which is often as little as 40 acres. It’s not well-known but among 13 Midwestern states, only Missouri manages deer populations at a finer spatial scale than Minnesota. We are serious about managing expectations and deer numbers in small geographic areas. Still, it is common to have a wide variety of opinions in each area on whether there should be more, fewer or different sized deer. To that point, we recently conducted a hunter satisfaction survey and one of the findings is that today’s hunters have higher expectations than those who hunted just 10 years ago. On communicating with hunters
      When I began my career it was common to interact with hunters at deer registration stations and local field offices. Today with the ease, convenience and popularity of phone and internet game registration, the DNR no longer has staff at deer registration stations. And people don’t visit DNR offices like they once did because so much information is available on the DNR website. Our challenge is finding new and efficient ways to have two-way conversations with hunters. This past winter we received more than 1,400 comments during a three-month long deer management plan public input effort. We were pleased with the response yet those 1,400 comments from an engaged and important audience represent only a minute fraction of the hunting public. There’s an irony in the fact that even though it is easier to be connected to one another these days because of smartphones and other technology, many people feel less connected than they once did. Figuring out how to maintain strong relations with hunters and other stakeholders is something on which we need to keep working. Minnesota’s first-ever deer plan will outline key concepts and crucial, ongoing work needed to manage deer, one of the state’s most popular and economically vibrant natural resources. An important aspect of the plan is how DNR will reach out and communicate deer management needs, necessary actions and reasons for those actions. A draft plan will be available in early 2018. I encourage everyone to read the draft plan, consider DNR’s suggested approach and give us your feedback and ideas through the public input opportunities we’ll make available. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.