Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Redbeard5289

Minnows on SE Trout Streams

9 posts in this topic

Ok, got a question for all you guys,

Can or Can't you use live minnows on trout streams that are designated for live bait?

For years my brother and buddies have been tellin me that you can't use live minnows...just pickled or brined minnows only. Then I got to talk to one of the guys in the local bait shop and he told me that using live minnows is legal as long as you are on designated live bait streams.

Been using worms, grasshoppers, and crickets along with a variety of plastics and doughs/nuggets...had more success with worms and crickets than plastic/dough and just looking for another live bait alternative.

If live minnows are legal how do you usually rig them for trout fishing in SE Streams?

It was my understanding the live minnows are a big no no on any designated trout stream.. I could be wrong. But I wouldn't want to find out the hard way in the form of a ticket.

ive been told the same thing as tipup.

The thing with most minnow species is they are considered invasive in most waters, which is why they ask that you throw left over minnows in the trash and not dump them into ANY body of water. Crappie minnows and fatheads are the same species, the "crappie" minnows are just juvenile fathead minnows, they are notorious for raising hech with vegetation in lakes.

you can use live minnows on the streams....the pickled/ brine minnows applies to designated stream trout lakes(fosters has special regs) so yes you can use em

I agree with Hanson. The regs state that no live minnows are allowed on designated stream trout Lakes.

you can use minnows on trout streams, it is on the designated trout LAKES that minnows aren't legal.

If you use live bait...i HIGHLY recommend minnows. Before I got into spinner fishing, lots of big (20+") trout came on minnows.

But...that is only part of the secret \:\)

Thanks for the response guys, I appreciate it.

I thought I read that correctly in the 08 fishing regulation handbook about no minnows in designated stream trout lakes but wanted to get some clarification before I found out firsthand in the form of a ticket from the CO.

Now that I know you can use minnows, I'm itch to try it out this spring...

Thanks again for the responses!

didnt know that