Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
so haaad

Flytying tricks and tips: Eliminate the bobbin threader

8 posts in this topic

Thought I would pass this trick on to some of you new fly tyers. It basically eliminates the need for a bobbin threader.

Instead of using a bobbin threader (which can still be tough to use), just put the end of the thread near the bobbin hole and suck air through the other end of the bobbin with your mouth. You will suck the thread right through the bobbin and you are ready to start tying.

good tip, that's what I do.

yep so do I. When i first started tying i tried using a stripped down bread tie........it didnt go over very well.

That's my technique too. Although I had to dig out the threader the other day for some beligerent thread.

Originally Posted By: erickol
That's my technique too. Although I had to dig out the threader the other day for some beligerent thread.

you mean you don't like to keep sucking air until you're blue in the face? \:\)

I use that tip as well sometimes. But it does not work with some heavy danville threads as well as certain bobbins I have used.

"you mean you don't like to keep sucking air until you're blue in the face?"

Not really, that's why I gotta quit smoking too!

I was fortunate when I began tying to receive advice about tools from Bob Mitchell, then the owner of the shop of that name. Bob put me into bobbins that are now marketed under the name "Wishbone." These bobbins load the thread way up by the tip of the tube and are thus extremely easy to thread. The bobbins last well and maintain a nice, even tension on the thread. Not much of a tip if you already have enough bobbins, but something that's worth investigating if you're in the market.