Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawgeye

fishing report/advice

4 posts in this topic

Coming up to Rainy this weekend for an annual March Ice fishing trip. Usually head to Lake of the Woods, but talked the guys into trying Rainy this year. Haven't seen much for fishing reports lately. hows the fishing been? any advice on depths or general areas would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Dave

The walleye fishing has been good, try the birch point area in sand bay. Out east around dryweed has produced some nice eye's in 38'of water( north side ) The crappies fishing on the canada side has been good most of the year, they where a little slow last weekend.All in all the fishing has been good all over rainy,i would start in Sand bay then work my why east. You can also drive out of Tilson Creek and fish the american narrows.I would start in 34'of water then go deeper.A pink jig head tip with a minnow ,or a jigging rap, works well for me.A good lake map is a must, I use a hand held gps with a chip.Remember Rainy lake has a current so always practice caution .There is a lot of snow on the ice,sleds and a good portable will help alot.

Hope that helps

Looking for an update, since I will be heading out fishing on Rainy in the morning. I want to stay on the US side and just want to catch some fish. Don't really care what they are. Crappies, eyes, or northern are fine.

Also how's the ice?

Fishing was really slow for us last weekend, sounds like everyone was having bad fishing. We fished from American Narrows to East end of Dryweed. Best fishing we found was in 45' of water, but it was slow. Ice was in good condition.

Dave