• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading for LOW any thoughts DL Bros?

I have never fished this late in March on LOW.

We will be there March 10-12.

Two questions --

1 -- any thoughts to what type of luck we can have at that time

2 -- what jigs/spoons should I load up on? I would guess hammered gold something?

Thanks for the help.

Hitman

Dragon --

Let me know how it's going up their ok?

Last time i went up in March was 2 years ago, it sucked. HA HA sorry but it did. WE caught a ton of Tulabies and a handful of walleyes and we moved A LOT... That was out from pine island. I suppose if you can actually find the fish you will be ok but we couldn't get on any steady action that weekend. I'm going up there for some northerns in a couple weeks out of warroad.

I hope your trip goes well HITMAN good luck. And of course let us know how you do when you get back.

Hit..... we fished late march and early april and did very well, both pine island and the april dates were at Long Point last year. Friends were 5 miles past pine island this weekend in our house. Not real good, one guy went to garden island 22 miles out and filled out in less then 3 hours. Will let you know how we do this weekend. If you want to save money on a house My sleeper is there if you want to talk about using it also.... 19 feet with beds, kitchen ect........... Let me know......DRAGON

Go onto the Lake of the Wood's report and look for Curt Quesnell's post. They are usually pretty animated and accurate. He does the North Country Outdoors radio up there. Tell him hello from me. We worked with those guys last fall in a tournament up there. Very knowledgeable about the system.

Dragon --

Actually thought about talking to you -- but worked something else out.

Thanks for the offer -- might talk to you about that in late March?

Thanks again

Hitman

Thanks Mike and Leech --

Anyone know what they are/ should be hitting on?

I just got back from LOTW last weekend and did great. We caught between 60-80 walleyes/sauger between the two of us. We caught more sauger than walleye...but the sauger were much bigger that past years. We had a few in the 17-19 inch range. We were about 22.5 miles out past Pine Island in 31.5 FOW near a reef that comes up to about 17 FOW. We have hit this spot later in the year and also have done very well. Are you going to be moving with portables or are you getting shuttled around by a particular resort?

Cliffy

One more thing --

Are saugers still bonus fish?

Been a while.

Catch 4 each -- possession is like 8?

slot limit too right?

cliffy --

we are doing it the lazy way -- shuttled by our pals at Wigwam.

I think I can say Wigwam -- I will find out.

sounds like fun. Otherwise I would shoot you our Cords. Limits...my buddy kept track but if I remember correctly, 8 fish total with no more than four being walleyes. Make sense? I forgot the slot limt....my buddy always kept track of that as well. Someone correct me if I got this wrong.

I think its only 4 walleye and 2 sauger. But not positive.Its been awile for me also.

Just double checked using the web and its a total of 8 fish with no more than four being walleyes. The slot is 19.5 to 28...only one walleye can be over 28 inches. Pike are three. Everything between 30 and 40 inches must be returned...with only 1 pike over 40 can be kept. Perch are 20 per day with a possession limit of 40. Hope this helps

Cliffy

Hey hitman. I was up over the past weekend and anything with pink seemed to work good, second best was probably gold, which is always a good one to start with. As far as bait each day is different so I always pick up a scoop of shiners and one of fatheads. Normally in march I have my best luck out in the Arnesons area on the reefs, but since you're going out of the Wigwam ask if they have anything set up out by Garden or Knight Island area as that would be the place to be this time of year, lots of structure up there. As for limits you can have up to 8 with no more than 4 being walleye. So you could have 8 sauger, or 6 sauger 2 walleye and so on. No walleye between 19 1/2 inches and 28 inches, and only 1 over 28. Hope this helps you out some

Thanks a lot fellas.

so what is the possession limit for two days of fishing?

It is the same right -- 8 total 4 of them eyes?

Daily is the same as possession. 8 total and only 4 can be eyes.

I was out from Zipple for 3 days last week. Very slow. with some jigging you can bring the fish to the dance but they won't bite. many catches on an elevated bobber. We had 10 of us for 2 1/2 days and we didn't have to pull out the tape measure once.

If you don't count the gas I think I kept my fish to my goal of $100 / pound.

Small jigs caught the most fish. we tried different colors with gold backs. Don't believe what they say about the "Stop Sign."

If you have a decent camera it wouldn't hurt to bring it with. The water is more clear than it has been in years. at least you could see 1-2 feet to see what's not biting. I didn't find any difference in bait, just patience several fish came through suspended - no takers. We had high pressure - sunny skys all 3 days so that didn't help.

Each of us probably caught 8-10 fish per day and kept 2 per day.

We started in the morning at 20 FOW. Deadseaville.

We moved out to 34 and started to see fish. after that we went directly to 31-34 FOW right away in the morning.

Some crazy dude in a yellow tail dragger flew 15 feet over our fishouses on Saturday afternoon. I was wishing it was me.

Good luck. I'm headed to Orlando for 8 days.

Hey Hit.

Well with the slot up there you should be in good shape, you seem to have trouble catching anything over the 12in. range any way. So take care and have fun be safe. We`ll have to get together for some boat fishin.

I went out on Zipple Sat. Caught a few decent fish, and alot of little guys. I was using shiners and chubs. According to the radio traffic people were catching alot of good eaters on Rainbow shiners. I heard they were pricey but they could not keep the fish off the hooks. everything being caught btwn 28-32 FOW.

Bare --

Good to hear from you. Yeah we need to tag-team Pelican next year in the boat. That is for sure.

AS cliffy said, my buddy was 22 miles out Garden Island, however 5.5 to 6 miles miles out by the Adrians houses is where they started to catch them after they moved. 8 limit with no more then 4 being walleyes. Will keep you posted. Another buddy is staying in his fishouse for the next two weeks starting today. Will post results.

Hit,

All you need for tackle is as follows:

pink / glow buckshot rattle spoon

Thats it, in my somewhat limited experience but having the good fortune to fish with a few guys that have logged hundreds of days chasing March walleyes on LOW, I swear that is a bout all they ever use. If it glows and it rattles it works. Dont be scared to tip with a minnow head and a whole minnow. At times that has been a great trick. One other thing bang the spoon off the bottom on occasion, it works.

J

I was up there two weekends ago, I had my best luck jigging with a gold angel eye and a red rattlin varmint, as for set lines we had our best luck with gold fatboys and demons in gold, glow white and red. From what I have heard I think I would also try chubby darters if you have them and the fish are biting aggressively.

Don't get me going about chubby darters.

My buddy bought one, used it once, got drunk passed out in the fish house and it ids in my Bro-in-law's tackle box.

They bring it up everytime they have had a couple of beer I told them they will have to pay for the "deposit" this year. Now more broken stuff from drunk guys wrestlin' around about a chubby.

Not good.

;\)