Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnny_Da_Der

Summerizing my auger?

16 posts in this topic

As we all know the glorious hard-water season will come to an end soon and once again all that ice fishing gear will get packed away for next season. What does everybody do to "summerize" their augers so they won't get gummed up over that long wait to next hard water season?

Thanks

Start it...then disconnect the gas line...then let it run until it dies. You can do more...but this is the quickest/easiest way to avoid it gumming up.

A small dose of Seafoam should do the trick? Pick it up over at your local auto parts store.

Your better off using some type of fuel stabilizer (seafoam,stabil) rather then letting er... run dry because remaining fuel in carb will breakdown and still create potential problems. Mixed fuel does not breakdown quite as fast but still will create deposits that can clog jets. I still fire mine up once in the summer months never have problems....

I run sta-bil through the system for about 3-5 minutes. Empty out the remaining gas from the tank, and then run it again til she quits. I've never had an issue with any gum-up. There's still alot of fishing to be done before you hang it up though!!

I've heard it both ways. Run it dry or fill up the tank. I've tried both and so far so good. I do run stabil though and start it up 1 a month in the summer.

I just put on the extension; I don't want to think about hanging it up yet! This is the best ice we've had in years, and the portable's getting a workout. You can go almost anywhere you want (but be careful in new territory) with the great ice and little snow buildup, so try a few new spots and give that auger a good workout!

Put a 1/4 tank of mixed non-oxygenated gas with Stabil in the tank, or just use Amsoil Sabre Pro to begin with, and run it every month for 10 minutes. Empty out your remaining summer gas before next season, add fresh, and GO GO GO!

I always run Stabil and cfoam in it. Never had a problem.

I asked this question to the guys at Strikemaster and they said run it dry and put it away and you shouldn't have a problem...he did state that it won't hurt to add seafoam or stabil but it is not needed....I have run my auger dry for the last 4 years and have not had a problem with the engine starting the next year!!

Ive been using Amsoil would I still use a fuel stabilizer?

The AMSOIL Saber Professional is not rated as having a stabilizer in it, however there are many, many reports of long term (over 1 year) of storage with no additional stabilizer that engines with the Saber Professional still start on the 1st or 2nd pull.

My personal opinion, it is not required but it can't hurt to be on the safe side and use it. I would not use multiple products (as at least one post above) and do not overtreat - follow the labeled instructions. AMSOIL does have one also: Gasoline Stabilizer 1 ounce treats 2 1/2 gallons of fresh gasoline.

Note: if the gas is already old (several months), treating it won't help.

Fogging? Definitely a good idea - for any engine, 2 and 4 stroke, to be stored longer than a month or so. AMSOIL Fogging Oil Follow the instructions on the can. The AMSOIL Fogging Oil can has a neat feature - you can spray it from any angle: right-side up, upside-down, sideways - however you need to reach.

I think I mis-spoke earlier. I don't use both C-foam and stabilizer at the end of the year. I usually run C-foam in my gas during the season. Then I put stabil in the last tank of the year.

So just run the gas empty and you should be all set?

yep

Looks like I'm going to be drilling a lot more holes this weekend to get rid of that gas. Thanks for the tips and I runs Ams to to.

that is all I have done for the last few years since I bought my SM auger.....I have yet to replace the spark plug even....run dry or if alot of gas left I just start and run every so often until the gas is gone or it is time to ice fish again!!