Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drake

Still going good

10 posts in this topic

Pan fishing in the Blackduck area is still going good, and have had a lot of fish coming through the cleaning shack the past few days. This is one of those cases where 'same thing, different day' is a good thing!

For those hitting Blackduck they are finding that there is not just one area that is a hot spot, anglers are spreading out across the lake and fishing in the 20'-24' depths and finding good numbers of perch, doing some weeding of the little guys but keeping those in the 10"-12" range, and some are lucky enough to reel in a crappie or sunnie. The other lakes in the area, and there are several great lakes, are finding good action for sunfish and crappies, even reeling in crappies in the early afternoon hours, the fish are still liking the jig tipped with a waxie presentation.

yep, I agree with the perch fishing on Blackduck. I was there. Got some nice size perch. One problem however for me.....most like ly for others(?).... I can't eat those perch on Fridays during lent (or anytime for that matter). They have "white meat" in the fillets...if you know what I mean. Every one I cleaned! ishhh!

Is it easy enough to get around with 4wd truck or is an ATV the way to go? (no snowmobile) Heading up to the cabin on Island Lake for the weekend and was thinking about hitting the Duck on Saturday.

what do you mean by the "white meat" "ishhh"? I got a bunch and cleaned them and seemed fine to me...dang tasty too...

Yeah, what is "white meat," seriously?

The "white grubs" are parisites. Some spots on blackduck the fish are thick with the grubs and other places on the lake the fish are nice and clean. Same with just about every other area lake. Winnie is really bad for spotty "white grubs" in the fillets.

Just keep hole hopping and you'll find a clean patch... Or just cook them at 350 and you'll never know the difference... eek:

Good luck

Kupcho

I was thinking you meant the grubs, I know what you mean, sometimes they are thick with them, but once cooked, never know they were in there...which they don't hurt anything, and if the site bothers some, you can pop them out pretty easily with the tip of your knife....

Fivebucks, couple of inches of snow the other day and some strong winds did gets some drifts going. My guys out there with 4wd yesterday and today said no problems and they didn't get stuck, but a low profile 2wd wouldn't do so hot until some of the drifts start melting down.

Thanks. We were out on Saturday and drove ATV's just to play it safe. We could see plenty of fish on the camera including a monster bluegill but not too many takers. We did get a handful but most fish were not interested and we tried throwing everything at them. My wife and I got only 3 fish but my buddy was able to coax 17 perch into the bucket (he fished longer though is my excuse). Still a fun day.

When the front moved in it did slow the bite down on the Duck on Friday and Saturday, and our anglers found a better bite out deeper than what we've been fishing. Now that temps and the pressure is stabilizing the bite is kicking back in, yesterday was the best in the last three days with several jumbos being reeled in, so most folks are back at it again today, and with temps pretty stabil this week it should just get better. It's pretty frustrating to see those fish down there and not get them to take the bait!