Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishingIsLife

crappies

9 posts in this topic

Thinking about making it up to Vermillion next weekend to do some crappie fishing. I've never ice fished it before, but I figured I'd just go on the lake from Tower and fish some deeper flats off the breaks of islands and points. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I dont know of many crappies being caught through the ice on the Tower end. The only place I know where people fish them on that end is going driving of moccasin point to the north end of pine island. ( I hope that helps)

What is that creature in your avatar?

The area by the Portage has been poor for a number of years. The only place that I am aware of that produces much for crappie this time of year is in the southern part of Wolf Bay where it connects with Niles Bay. If you look at the map, you will see where they should be.

The area by the portage to Trout Lake was so over fished that I haven't caught anything other than tulibee and perch the last 5 years or so. I heard that the DNR caught some guys out there with over 20 lines for 4 guys. (15 years ago or so) No wonder.....

That beast on my avatar is a 36" carp I got on White Bear lake. It was so pregnant it was spewing eggs just from picking it up, but I had to get a picture because it errored my buddy's 50# scale. I am coming from Duluth so I just wanted to go to a spot on the lake that was going to be the closest to drive and with the best access for an SUV. Is there a better spot to go for crappies on the south end of the lake that wouldn't be much more of a drive. I just don't want to drive somewhere at the north end of the lake. Thanks for the replies guys, it's much appreciated.

That's huge! Isn't the state record carp like 55 lbs?

Does anyone know of any spots on the West side that produce Crappies ice fishing? I know the early Spring , black bay is good. I have never tried for Crappies ice fishing. I am heading up this weekend and thought I would give it a try. Thanks All!

I'd check out some of the deeper areas to the North or to the East sides of Taylors Island, maybe even that 30' flat on the East of Staley Island, if you're gonna be in that area. BUT, I've never fished there so if you catch some slabs you should let me know.

Doerf,

I will check that out this weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the Info! I kind of assumed that the deep water that was closest to Black bay might be holding them as they seem to migrate there in early spring.