Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caseynewberg

Secret Crappie Lake

17 posts in this topic

First Crappie on Sunday, a little small for this lake. But hey at least finally got a "good" picture for the forum.

100_0583bbb.jpg

Hey, that's a nice one! Wouldn't take many of those to make a fish fry!

Nice fish! I'd be happy with that size and like Finnbay said it wouldn't take to many of those for a dandy fry!

Nice crappie Casey! I thought YOU were going to be on Burntside this past weekend?

Hubby was all wiped out and sick on saturday so sunday we went to find the red lake crappies from our secret crappie lake!

Oh I forgot to put the story on here that went with the pic. Well I got that one and almost lost it then later we looked out and the 7 month old dog that was out there with other fisher ppl, had my crappie and had ripped the tail right off it! I told him to drop it and he took off with it back to his owners truck. But the guy seen him and came over with another crappie, he felt bad but I know how it goes my dogs were puppies once too.

here's a couple other pics I took from sunday

100_0580.jpg

earlier in the day

100_0589.jpg

after the rain/snowy STUFF... came over

Nice looking crappie. If thats a small one then you have one heck of a secret lake.

ya I know its a heck of a lake. The first time we went out there in the winter was last year. Jake's gps said it was 1.5 miles or so well we didn't think that's how the crow flies. So Jake, my brother Tyler, Noah, and I went out at 5:30 we left our parents house got out to to the lake at sunrise began our walk and 2 hours or so later we were finally to the fishing spot. Jake's beard and Tyler's beard were both frosted, my hair was frosted all the way down to the tips (and I have long hair) it was cold with a nice face wind blowing not to mention it was like 15-20 below already. We got out there and set up and Ty pulled up a huge crappie right away and we pulled em out left and right all day mixed in with huge perch. It was a great day, and towards the evening Jake and Noah with some beer influence decided they were walking back with an auger and checking ice and that they were gonna drive my car out there. It was almost three miles we had walked out at 6:30 in the morning in the bitter cold, just to find out there was like 4 feet of ice, didn't think it'd be that good since its basically a wide part of the river. It was an awesome fishing trip.

Those are the stories that people won't forget, and its just as good when those type of fish bite...Casey is that a local spot, or a distance away, sounds similiar to a spot I know...As I am from MT iron also

really from mt. iron... the old mt. iron or a "sub burb" grin.gif its semi local bout an hour and forty five mins away from us...

Well, spent most of my time in South Grove with grandparents growing up, now I live on mineral in South grove.

I am thinking of a different spot about 1 hr west...

oh ic ya I live in "Old" mt.iron near my family business spring creek outfitters have you been to mott pit at all lately?

No I haven't, this summer I was catching too many perch. But I went to a lake north of bulh and caught a 18" brooky about a month ago... Haven't been back there since, been chasing lakers

I am guessing you were on the widening of the Vermilion River just southwest of crane lake????

GE

Nope not near the v river, I was southeast of where I live, Matts I have my permanent house out on the pit yet this winter we've done fairly well on trout.

I just may have to try it

If I could remember the code for the lock I'd send it to ya! crazy.gif