Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SFBOY

Crappie Question

3 posts in this topic

I fish a lake in the summer that has areas that rise up from 40 or 50 feet to very shallow weed edges within a short distance. I have had pretty good luck finding crappies over 20 feet off the weed edges in the summer. I have no idea where to start looking for winter crappies. Could I expect to find them in the same areas in March as in June or would they most likely be hanging over the deep areas a little further off the weed edge? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Try the places that you catch them in late fall. Summer spots seldom hold crappies around here. Every once in a while at late ice Ill catch them in summer spots but not now. Another few weeks and they should be back hangin around deeper water by their spring holding/staging spots.

Don't be afraid to go deep. A lot of the schools of big crappies I find are in over thirty feet of water on flats adjacent to sharp breaks. It depends on the water clarity, but I like to go deeper than shallower, though you can catch crappie in 10 FOW in some instances. You really just need to find a spot that looks good on the lake map and drill a lot of test holes in the area and find those red lines on your vexilar. Drilling a lot of holes before you start fishing is important, especially the shallower you fish, because it allows you to get on spots without spooking them with the auger. Good luck.