Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BARNEZ

Parking on north side of Wabedo lake

9 posts in this topic

Went to Wabedo to do some fishing like I always have, to find you can't park on the street on the north side to drag my shack to my spot.I've been doing it for years and went there to find no parking between signs everywhere just wondering why?Some people don't have 4 wheelers and snowmobiles and don't like driving across the whole lake to get somewhere I can walk 100 yards from the road.Seems to me the tradition of old style fishing is dead.Is parking there an inconvenience to home owners or someone else,cause I see little paper signs there as well.

The problem is that people park right on the curve by the bridge. I guess they are too lazy to move their trucks after unloading. I park way up towards the stop sign and have never had a problem, I walk out. Also I've talked to several people that live right in that area and they are real unhappy with people diving atv's down that step bank by the creek. If you go there late ice and see the damage you'll see why they are unhappy. Another option is unloading and parking at the Boy Lake access. I live in Fifty Lakes and see more and more places where you can park and fish from shore or access the lake for ice fishing get closed down. Too bad because not everyone owns a boat and those kind of spots are great for taking kids fishing from shore

That's where I always parked, but the new signs go all the way up there. As far as the dirt getting ripped up it's public land there right.Or instead of spending money on signs they should make it easier to get on there for the outdoorsman.

Originally Posted By: BARNEZ
Or instead of spending money on signs they should make it easier to get on there for the outdoorsman.

I am not familiar with that area but I've ran into issues like this before and IF its public land between the road and lake anyone can access it. No body can put no parking or tresspassing signs on the road, in the ditch or on public land. They don't own the freakin road, sounds like the resorts and plow truck drivers on Mille Lacs getting mad when you access "their" road from another way and they want you to pay for using their road, even though you accessed it another way.

In defense of the people who put the signs up, IF they own the land between the road and lake then I don't blame them for putting up signs when people just walk or drive through their property. Also people will put signs to deter people from going onto the lake so fishing pressure goes down. I don't think its their responsibility to make it "easier" for the guy who comes up a few times a year to fish the lake, use the public access like everyone else does.

The same thing happend to us years back in this spot, we went out a few times one year at that spot and came back the next year and it was all posted, some people were still using the spot and also parking on the road when there was no parking signs but we left and never went back. Cass county has a great web site and you can see who owns land parcels, you may want to check it out and see and if its public land and if it is then call the local sheriff.

where can a person see this site for cass county land ?

There are paper printed signs by a persons house uderstandable, but then a couple weeks later their are actually brand new, werent there before,NO PARKING signs. As far as the access for walking on the lake I'm sure it's public.I meant the state paying for the signs not home owners.Oh well though,I guess I can drop my stuff off there and walk the 1/4 mile from the little boy access. Because like Bob Dylan says The times they are a changin.

http://www.co.cass.mn.us/

Go into paying property tax on right hand side

then into parcel information

then you can do differant search options and it will show you maps of the land and if you keep zooming in and it will give you plot numbers, then you can enter the plot numbers and it will tell you who owns the land.

This spot is public, road right of way, but it is being abused. If people would'nt park on the curve and leave garbage on the road I don't think there would be a problem. If people would just walk the 300yds out there, this is an early ice point of access. Two weeks ago I was up there and was able to drive from the access on the other end of the lake about 3 miles. That would be a long walk! I was told that the property owners on that road had the sheriff have the signs put up. It just comes down to common sense and respect for other people. Those that abuse a privilege," take it away from us all !!!!" I agree with Bluegill 1510.