Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mnwild

North shore fishing/ Knife River area

10 posts in this topic

I was up in Duluth over the weekend and took a drive up to Kendall's smokehouse and I noticed there was one spot on Superior that people were fishing. It looked like it was a new boat launch and everyone was fishing inside of that, there must of been about 6 houses. I am curious what they would be catching this time of the year??

Loopers, coho. Scroll through the threads, look for McQuade access or harbor. That should help. Never used to be that many shacks out there till Sammy Cook ran that article in the paper. Shows why small spots should not be talked about and how some publicity can ruin one quick.

Thanks for the info, I was curious what they were getting. I have never tried up there in the winter.

Its a shame what the media can do.

It stands to reason that anyone that fishes much would've figuered that the McQuade access would hold ice and fish.

To bad it's my front yard, but thats fine. Lot more shoreline for me grin.gif. Only thing i can make bite there is six inch whitefish.

I'd say a persons' odds are better elsewhere along the shore provided it's open water. I've been to McQuade and we've caught fish but as far as I saw the one day we didn't have a looper only one other guy did. I wouldn't bother fishing a spot that has that many anglers and only gives up one fish. If you like fishing in crowds for loopers you'd be way better off at the french. There's a lot more fish there and you don't have to see them ignore you're bait...which is disheartening. I say we leave McQuade alone for catfishunter and his six inch whitefish. ;\) Let the guy have some peace and quiet, eh? We did bring home a couple 14-20 inchers for the smoker though so there are a few "keepers" in there. Maybe Cook should write an article on the whitefish fishery and see how many people show up. Can you imagine the hordes that would pile into the lester if he put the sucker run in print?! Mark your calendars everyone. The looper/steelhead run in the lester will be hot on the 29th! It's almost here!

Originally Posted By: matthothand
Mark your calendars everyone. The looper/steelhead run in the lester will be hot on the 29th! It's almost here!

Yeah, yeah! Go to the Lester on the 29th. In fact, the entire shore will be poppin off on the 29th. EVERYONE GO TO THE SHORE ON THE 29TH!!!

I'm geting out of here on the 29th.

what the?

I think I will do what ever my wife has plans for that weekend.