• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Snowgeese '08

Saturday while driving north of Spirit Lake IA. I was watching a few flocks of canadiens heading across the stateline. In one of the flocks of about 50 there were a few snows tagging along. We usually don't get that many snows through this area but it is a nice change in routine to get after them.

I was hoping that with the snow cover that has been on the local fields since early December that there will be enough "extra" grain to draw and a hold afew more snows around here this season.

Should only be a couple more weeks till the main migration comes through. Even if I don't get any gunning in I always enjoy hte time afield watching the spectacle of the spring migration. Spring seems to be the only time I see any Specs and a lot of other species around here.

I saw a few large flocks of Canadians moving South to North in Le Sueur County yesterday.

Boilerguy- could you keep me updated on snow goose sightings in SW MN, I want to do some hunting down there for snows this year if they come through. I hunt allot around SW MN in the area you live and have seen large concentrations in the fall before but I havent went in the spring, more or less because I have no way of knowing when they are there.

If I see them I'll keep everyone posted. So far, I haven't seen anything.

The honkers were moving real good in the Worthington area this morning. No SOBs yet that I know of.

My wife would say there is plenty of "SOB's" in the area...... I would be on that list sometimes. hehehehehehe. No cacklers sighted by me, but there were some specks on the open water on Okabena in Worthington at noon today.

I saw three flocks of snows flying around Spirit Lake on Wednesday.

This is what I have been seeing in southern Jackson County and northern Dickenson County IA.

Saw plenty of specks yesterday several flocks of a couple hundred. And finally saw a flock of just snows today, about 50 in the flock. Some of the local canadiens have already staked out thier nesting areas on some of the local sloughs. Lots of muskrat houses have a pair of honkers sitting on them.

There are a few snows still flying in with the smaller canadiens that just pass through this area. Most of the lakes and sloughs are still ice covered and should be for a while yet. There are quite a few fields that have large puddles on them that the geese are using to roost. Makes it hard to pin down an area that may produce some shooting oppertunities.

Honkers moving around Luverne area but no Snows or Blues (note I'm leaving the SOB's out of this...)

I live north of Appleton MN in west central MN. Saw 400 - 500 snows and blues in several different flocks fly over the farm later this afternoon.

While out in the backyard today after work, I saw numerous flocks of specs. I'd guess 300 birds total. I also saw about 100 snows.

Had snow the last two nights, seems to have sloewd the gese down some. There are several large flocks of specks and canadiens that have been sitting in the same fields and small streams the past few days. I did some driving around today in southern Jackson county and saw plenty of geese but no snows. Will have to wander a little further north and check up by Heron Lake and maybe Talcot tommorow.

I've seen LOTS of birds flying through Rock the last two days. Two groups of snows/blues and LOTS of honkers. All up high "just passing through" types of snows/blues birds though...

I have seen a lot coming through Marshall as well. Last night I stepped outside a few times and heard big flocks of snows/blues way high. There were thousands of Honkers coming through right at dark, one flock of 50 after another.

The wife said the area around the sandpits southeast of Edgerton were filthy with snow geese feeding in the fields and on the water at 3:45 this afternoon.

well [PoorWordUsage] today i was out by green valley and tons of snows dumping in the fields all over by the liquor store... i mean thousands big flocks of specs. Crazy good news going out there tommarrow and gonna do some gunning.....!!!!!!

Hmm. How do snow geese take off when they fly? Would one have been on the side of the road last night? I ask, because I hit a white bird last night on the way home from Rochester. We had just turned onto Hwy 68 to head into Morgan, and a white bird flew up out of the ditch. He didn't get enough lift fast enough, so the car behind us got flipped the bird! grin.gif

Kinda wondering what I hit.

I have never, and I mean NEVER seen snow geese in MN like I saw last night. Wife and I went out for supper and we drove west from my place towards South Dakota and honestly the sky was full for the entire time we drove west and north. I would conservatively estimate I saw 10,000 geese and if anything I think I'm way low. She was quite tired of me saying "oh my God there's more" by the time we got half way to Mad Mary's in Flandreau...

Just an awesome sight.

The ducks and geese were flying back south and southeast this morning pretty much non stop while I was ice fishing today. I did see one goup of snow geese that stretched from horizon to horizon moving west to east.

Lots of them on the ground right south of Round Lake, the lake. They seem to be hitting the fields where there is holding water.

I was just in South Dakota this week hunting snows and we found massive numbers in Lincoln county just 8-15 miles from the Iowa border just south of Soix Falls. These birds were really close to SW MN also. There has to be some spill over. On the way home this friday we observed multiple huge flocks of thousands of snows in the air in Rock county MN and a couple large flocks just west of worthington. None on the ground but there were allot for MN.

When I got home from visiting relatives out of town today I couldn't believe the insane number of snows in the field behind my house. I've never seen that many in one field in my life.

I live near several large sloughs in Cottonwood County and can honestly say I have never seen this many geese in my life. I only need to step out my door and I have literally seen flocks of upwards to a hundred or more of snows and blues, and of course thousands of geese, the dogs are in their kennels looking up in the sky all day long wondering what the heck that sound is. Its a great thing to see.

Rock County was FULL of snows, blues and specks this weekend. I have never seen that many geese in my life. I was outside for a majority of the afternoon friday and Im not sure if there was a time when I could not hear/see a flock of noisy snows in the sky all evening. It was an unbelievable sight thats for sure.

now the question is...with all the birds around; anybody trying to put any on the ground? drove from sioux falls to willmar friday afternoon; saw many flocks in the air all the way up through marshall. all it takes is a good front in eastern south dakota and boom the birds are right across the border.

Any new sightings? My father has the week off and he wants to try and shoot a few down there. Any area's in particular to concentrate on?? I dont think he even cares if he shoots any, he would be content just to see some.

They are still flying through Marshall like crazy. Any open water is loaded with geese.